#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:29 AM

This could be fun.

Charlie Higson will be appearing at The Apple Store in London next week to promote By Royal Command and meet and greet fans of Young Bond, The Fast Show, and, hey, maybe even of The Higsons (Charlie’s funk-punk band from the 80s).

This “Meet the Author” event will be held on Wednesday, 24 September at 7PM at The Apple Store, 235 Regent Street, London, W1B 2EL. The event is free.

For more information, visit the Regent Street Apple Store website or call 020 7 153 9000.
http://www.apple.com...l/regentstreet/

#2 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:35 AM

They sell regular, not computer-related, books at this Apple Store?

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:40 AM

No, I don't think so. I just think they have celebrity events. Meet authors, etc.

#4 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:16 PM

Also it must be because he uses a Mac to write his books? I wonder if they've asked him to talk briefly about why/how he uses them.

Anyway, I plan to be there after work to take some pictures.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:13 PM

Excellent Admiral. Make sure you introduce yourself to Charlie. I don't you've met him yet, have you?

So Charlie Higson and Seb Faulks both wrote their Bond novels on Macs. And John Gardner was also an early Mac enthusiast (but probably also used a PC).

FYI: Charlie's talk is going to be available on iTunes via their "Meet the Author" series.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:14 AM

FYI: Charlie's talk is going to be available on iTunes via their "Meet the Author" series.

Damn! I subscribe to "Meet the Author", but Charlie's talk is not yet available on iTunes Australia.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:50 PM

There's a drop down menu at the bottom of your iTunes app that lets you switch stores. Switch to the UK store and you'll find it there. U.S. users can do the same. And don't confuse the Regent St Apple Store Meet the Author podcast with the New York store Meet the Author podcast.

The talk runs nearly one hour and is filled with interesting nuggets of info. Charlie talks about the just released SilverFin Graphic Novel (a term Charlie says he dislikes -- he prefers “comic”), he suggests that more adult Bond novels from “important literary authors” may be on the way, and he reveals that he’s now “starting to think beyond” By Royal Command and what might be next for Young Bond.
http://youngbonddoss..._on_iTunes.html

There was also one particularly interesting tidbit that I'm going to put up as its own story later today.

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:30 PM

There's a drop down menu at the bottom of your iTunes app that lets you switch stores. Switch to the UK store and you'll find it there.

Gee, never realised you could do that! :)

Thanks zencat! You've opened a whole new world to me. :(

#9 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:05 AM

"I'm definitely going to write some more James Bond stories of one sort or another."

Brilliant stuff - I love the sound of that "definitely".

#10 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:12 AM

"I'm definitely going to write some more James Bond stories of one sort or another."

Brilliant stuff - I love the sound of that "definitely".

Absolutely. He's done a sterling job with the Young Bond series. I imagine Charlie helming an adult Bond novel could possibly be better.

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

How about when he said something to the effect that more adult Bond novels from “important literary authors” may be on the way?

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:37 AM

Yes, I caught that too, zen. Delicious!

I guess he wasn't actually having a jibe at Sebastian Faulks either because he stated Faulks as being one of his favourite authors.

BTW, did "Seb" do one of these "Meet The Author" thingys?