Plenty O'Toole question about Diamonds Are.. Forever

11 replies to this topic

#1 Mark N

Mark N

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 09:52 AM

how does she know where Tiffany Case's apartment is? Perhaps I missed it in the film, but I thought Tiffany tells 007 that the apartment was somewhere she was told to meet someone. So how would Plenty know about it?

#2 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 10:02 AM

It refers to a deleted scene where Plenty (after being thrown out the window) sneaks back up to Bonds room where he is with Tiffany. She looks in her bag and gets her address, where she goes and subsequently meets her maker.

The film is full of mistakes; How does Burt Saxby find out he has to kill WW, when Blofeld's order to kill WW was intercepted by Bond.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 01:09 PM

Can we really call it a mistake just because we don't know how it happened? The mention of the deleted seen proves that Plenty could have found the appartment on her own. Or, as I always assumed, the bad guys took her there and dumped the body as a warning. Either way it's not a mistake because it is possible.

In the case of Burt Saxby, perhaps he ran into another of Blofeld's cronies who asked him why he wasn't out killing Willard Whyte like Blofeld had ordered.

These things don't always need to be explained to the audience because if they all were explained it would slow down the film.

Another example: I saw on another website* once a claim that it was a mistake that Carver knew Bond's mobile phone number in Tomorrow Never Dies. The website appartently assumed that since we didn't see Bond give Carver his phone number that it had to be a mistake. But wouldn't Bond have given Carver's assisstant at the party his card as part of his cover as a banker? And one would assume that the card would have Bond's correct mobile number to help with the cover.

*Sorry, don't remember which one

#4 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 01:25 PM

I agree with you in that the mentioned phone query in TND IMO is not an error, mistake or anything for that matter. It is fair for the audience to assume that Carver has the resources to find a number, or that indeed bond simply gave it to him.

However, with regard to DAF, as we all know about the deleted scene, it does point to a simple continuity oversite. In a film, we should only have to assume so much, and cannot help but feel that this scene warranted a little more explanation.

It wouldn't be the first time in DAF (the re-filming cockup of Remy's car stunt being the most obvious).

#5 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 02:16 PM

not everything in film is explained, lots of things are just implied...

#6 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 02:35 PM

Thats understood, however since the query was raised in the first place, that does indicate that the information has been poorly implied in the film, otherwise there would be no need for our speculation.

There is no smoke without fire.

#7 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 02:44 PM

You know, as many problems that I have with DAF, how Plenty found Tiffany's place was not one of them. Bond does give a simple explanation "She came here looking for you, and got killed" thats paraphrasing, but thats along the lines of what he said, that was good enough for me.

#8 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 02:54 PM

Why does she look for Tiffany? How does she know her? Anyway, as this point is being somewhat laboured now (my apologies) I shall leave it alone.

JimmyBond what are the 'many problems' you mentioned with DAF?

#9 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 03:06 PM

One would suspect the pink tie would be one of the 'many problems', not for its colour but for its length.

#10 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 03:11 PM

For sheer obvious quality one cannot beat the old moon buggy wheel

#11 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 06:01 PM

Originally posted by flares
Why does she look for Tiffany?  How does she know her?

After Plenty is thrown into the pool she returns to Bond's room to find Tiffany and Bond making love. Upond going through Tiffany's purse, Plenty finds Tiffany's address and intends to confront her at her home. While Plenty is waiting for Tiffany, two thugs break in, thinking Plenty is Tiffany, and drown her.

#12 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 07:43 AM

We know this, but the point is that this isnt in the film...