12 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

So what do we say to those Bond fans who still refuse to read the Young Bond books based on concept alone? The series is complete. The world of 007 did not end. The books have been critically praised. You still got an adult Bond novel during this time. And the final book contains "the maid incident." How can a Bond fan not be curious? Why not just read By Royal Command? One book. It won't hurt you. :(

(Although, here at CBn, I think I'm preaching to the converted.)

#2 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

Having not yet read By Royal Command (when, oh, when will my copy arrive?), does it stand alone quite well? Obviously, it would probably be best enjoyed after a diet of SilverFin through Hurricane Gold, but is it a suitable introduction to the world of Young Bond?

#3 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

A friend of mine is in England visiting family. She's picked up a copy of BY ROYAL COMMAND for me. When she returns I'll read through the whole series!

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

Having not yet read By Royal Command (when, oh, when will my copy arrive?), does it stand alone quite well? Obviously, it would probably be best enjoyed after a diet of SilverFin through Hurricane Gold, but is it a suitable introduction to the world of Young Bond?

There's no reason you can't read just By Royal Command. Yes, it's much better to read the entire series -- there are returning characters and there will be things that won't have the same impact, but it can be read as a stand alone if you must.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

There's no reason you can't read just By Royal Command. Yes, it's much better to read the entire series -- there are returning characters and there will be things that won't have the same impact, but it can be read as a stand alone if you must.

There are spoilers to the other books in By Royal Command, however. So be warned of that.

#6 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

I would actually say By Royal Command is the only Young Bond book that shouldn't be read as a standalone. If you were going to anyway. While not necessary, I think you lose a little something if you don't at least read Double or Die first. I'd equate this to reading You Only Live Twice as your first Fleming novel. You miss everything about Blofeld and Tracy revealed in Thunderball and On Her Majesty's Secret Service, but ... you know you can figure it out and understand it anyway.

I've yet to finish it though. I'm actually only about a third of the way through after a week. Stalled by workload. :(

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:33 PM

I'd equate this to reading You Only Live Twice as your first Fleming novel. You miss everything about Blofeld and Tracy revealed in Thunderball and On Her Majesty's Secret Service, but ... you know you can figure it out and understand it anyway.

That's what happened to me actually - You Only Live Twice was my first Bond book. Bit of a confusing experience at times.

#8 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:37 AM

(Although, here at CBn, I think I'm preaching to the converted.)

I think so too. To those that still refuse to read them, you are denying yourself solid reading. It is Bond through and through, the age thing matters very little. It is a plus if anything, allowing for character development and so forth.

#9 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:24 AM

I'm still holding out. Not so much because I don't want to read them - I do, if only to wash away the bad taste of Devil May Care. I just first need to get around to buying the YBs and then reading them. I will. Some day.

#10 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:47 PM

May as well bring this up again. The series is over with By Royal Command, what a great book and series it was. To those that still have not read the series, it is still not too late to get aboard the Young Bond bus. :(

#11 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:45 PM

Zencat, your enthousiasm finally got me! I've just ordered the 1st YB, Silverfin, to give the series a try :(

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:47 PM

Zencat, your enthousiasm finally got me! I've just ordered the 1st YB, Silverfin, to give the series a try :(

Hehe...another victim.

SilverFin is good, but remember, I wasn't really sold on the series until Blood Fever.

#13 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:53 PM

OK, I'll keep that in mind! :)
To be honest, I really hate the cover artwork of Silverfin. I'll probably have to put some other cover on it to be able to read it! :(