Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

Ending spoiler of By Royal Command!!

I loved the introduction of
Spoiler
in BRC, but how many of the younger readers would have picked up on this very real history and the fictional ending of the book, with the
Spoiler

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:44 PM

I found that all fascinating as well. I was surprised to see Wallis Simpson in BRC because I though she didn't come into Edward's life until after he was King. She also seemed very suspicions and it got me thinking...

Tell me, is there a conspiracy theory or school of thought that Wallis Simpson may have been an agent who's job was to accomplish exactly what happened, remove Edward from the throne? It did feel like Charlie was suggesting there was possibly more to the abdication than we know.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

I found that all fascinating as well. I was surprised to see Wallis Simpson in BRC because I though she didn't come into Edward's life until after he was King.

According to Wikipedia, the affair stared in 1934, which is when BRC is set. Looks like Bond stumbled into history.

#4 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:18 AM

Tell me, is there a conspiracy theory or school of thought that Wallis Simpson may have been an agent who's job was to accomplish exactly what happened, remove Edward from the throne? It did feel like Charlie was suggesting there was possibly more to the abdication than we know.

I don't know, I think it may have been artistic licence - but I wonder.

#5 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:19 AM

The BBC refused Edward the right to go on the air to make what would essentially amount to a plea to the British public to accept Wallis Simpson as his wife.

The papers similarly set up a blockade. This may have been involved in the position of the government who didn't want to accept Wallis as Queen, though there was a segment of the government that did.

I don't think the government injected Wallis into Edwards life as reasoning to remove him from power. However, they may well have taken advantage of her presence to make an ultimatum when his Nazi sympathies were revealed.