marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

Posted Image
Author speaks about 'By Royal Command', the 'SilverFin' graphic novel, plus his new non-Bond series

Charlie Higson will be on Nemone's 6music show shortly to promote By Royal Command; listen online at http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/
I expect he's doing the rounds on the other stations too

#2 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:34 PM

That was pretty decent: talk of Higson learning to ski to research the book; Shadow War info; talk of films; the graphic novel and his future project.
He starts at about 2.10pm if you want to listen on the iPlayer.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:35 PM

Thanks MarkT. I'll have a listen.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for the notice, Markt. :(

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:32 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

Posted Image
Author speaks about 'By Royal Command', the 'SilverFin' graphic novel, plus his new non-Bond series

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:27 AM

Thanks for the article, Qwertz. I couldn't get the interview to play. Now I don't need to. :( Great work.

#7 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

It was a radio interview, not an event.

#8 Sylvia Trench

Sylvia Trench

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:42 PM

In response to minniespinney - you old cynic - 1. what gives you the idea that all the kids who go to book festivals are from public schools? 2. what exactly are you reeling from vis a vis Edinburgh? explain yourself.

#9 Sylvia Trench

Sylvia Trench

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

lol.

#10 Sylvia Trench

Sylvia Trench

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

Having been in Edinburgh for the weekend, I would say that Charlie's observation that is it grey, granite, cold and wet was an observation rather than a criticism. Fleming was indeed trying to escape the greyness of Britain (not just Scotland) by going to Goldeneye every winter. I think Charlie was making the point that Fleming's character - and therefore Bond's - was a mixture of hedonism, escapism and sensuousness (Jamaica) balanced with some tough gritty Scottish, puritan, backbnone. That is not having a go at Scotland.

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:00 PM

Well, I'm sorry you got that impression, ms minniespinney, but you just couldn't be more wrong about Charlie Higson. I'm hard pressed to think of any celebrity in the Bond universe more generous with his time, both in doing events and spending individual time with fans during events. And Charlie loves doing signings and interacting with fans, especially kids, and he loves James Bond. You saw Charlie once at an adult event where I'm sure he was just being loose and funny (remember, he is a comedian). I've seen Charlie many times in many situations and I feel like I've gotten a very good sense of him and, trust me, he is not at all what you perceived. The polar opposite, in fact. If he ever comes to grey, rainy Scotland again (joke!), I would encourage you to give him a second chance.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:06 AM

Fair enough, ms minniespinney. Glad we found common ground. :( You might want to read my new interview with Charlie. You can certainly get a good sense of just how much he values James Bond.