Warhead

12 replies to this topic

#1 spankymoore7

spankymoore7

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 11:39 PM

hey guys, im new and i was not sure where this question should be. i have heard stuff about a rumored film called warhead. can someone tell me who is involved and what the plot is rumored to be. i heard it is similiar to thunderball. same characters? thanks.

#2 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 12:06 AM

Ah, Yes, Welcome Spanky :)

Your question is regarding Warhead 2001, i believe. Our man Kevin McClory was trying to resurrect the Thunderball catastrophe that was "Never Say Never Again". Rumored was that Sean Connery was either going to be Bond "again" or be the villain. Not sure if this will formulate ever again (hopefully not). Hope this helps.

Welcome again :^)

~LTK~

#3 spankymoore7

spankymoore7

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 02:40 AM

thanks!

#4 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 03:02 AM

At one point it was rumored that Mclory had gotten Dalton on board as Bond. Not sure how true those rumors were though.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 03:28 AM

Actually, "WARHEAD" existed as early as 1976 in script form. It did use elements of Thunderball, yet it's climax took place in NYC where SPECTER headquarters was housed in The Statue of Liberty. The Warhead script evolved and became NSNA. McClory wanted to continue to make Bond films after NSNA so he revived the Warhead title adding 2000, 2001, or even at one point calling it ATOMIC WARHEAD and claiming he had Pierce Brosan interested. But this was all just McClory nonsense and I don

#6 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 03:39 AM

I've read the "Warhead" script, and the reason you've never seen it filmed is that it is TOO DIFFERENT from "Thunderball," and thus goes against the ruling that McClory could ONLY remake "TB." It really isn't that good, though.

#7 spankymoore7

spankymoore7

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 04:25 PM

Wade, do you know where i can read a copy of the script you read? i would be very interested. thanks!

#8 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 05:17 PM

Originally posted by JimmyBond
At one point it was rumored that Mclory had gotten Dalton on board as Bond. Not sure how true those rumors were though.

If it were true, that would be a great way to get Dalton back so that he doesn't get too old for Bond (well, he already is pratically) - I know there is a thread about whether he could play Bond again after Brosnan, but this way he wouldn't have to wait. Plus, having a former Bond would give it a more official look rather than having a completely new actor.

However, this is all a pipe dream, as I'm all too familiar with the law cases, having studied them formally, and Warhead is as good as dead.

#9 Se

Se

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 08:19 PM

About 3 years ago, I read that Liam Neeson would play Bond. It was an article about the lawsuit between sony and mgm. I think Sony lost.

Damn right they lost. No Bond could ever be better!

#10 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 08:44 PM

I heard that too - and Sony did lose - but there was also some negotiating which took place: MGM owned some parts of Spider-Man, which was another long-troubled film adaptation, while the rest was owned by Sony. Sony owned parts of Bond. They apparently did a trade-off as part of their settlement, so that MGM owned Bond completely, while Sony owned Spider-Man. Hence Spider-Man could be made, and MGM could prevent anyone else making another unofficial Bond movie.

#11 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 09:17 PM

Actually there are about 15 different scripts for "Warhead."

#12 spankymoore7

spankymoore7

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 10:39 PM

any idea mccartney007 where i can view any of these? it would be real interesting. thanks

#13 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 01:25 AM

I don't think Sony ever owned any of Bond. Eon has always held rights to it, except for what McClory controls-the rights to the various early drafts of Thunderball he developed with Ian Fleming...he has the name SPECTRE and the character of Blofeld, but EON has the rights to everything else.....it's like Star Wars, say George owned everything but the names Skywalker and Yoda and the look of Darth Vader's suit....he wouldn't be able to use these, but no one else would really be able to make a movie off them..
If Sony had gotten their movie it would have just been another rehash of Thunderball with a former Bond....so instead they have xXx...where they can do Bond, but not do Bond...