This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

SeaFire; Reviews & Ratings

8 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate 'SeaFire'?

How do you rate 'SeaFire'?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:01 AM

Posted Image

This thread is intended for reviews and ratings of SeaFire by members of the The Blades Library Book Club here. Be sure to add your review if you do vote in the poll!

The Blades Library Book Club will be reading SeaFire from: 15 August 2008 - 15 October 2008

#2 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:43 AM

I finished reading this about two weeks ago after having completed "Never Send Flowers" before that.

"SeaFire" isn't the best Gardner I've read (admittely, I haven't read many) but it wasn't terrible by any means. I think I've yet to read a terrible piece of Bond literature, anyway. The book features some very original ideas & plot points. For one, James Bond is no longer part of what we have always known as MI6. Secondly, he is now very much in love and we even see him propose for the first time in twenty some years. In short, the novel contains a lot of interesting and well-designed ideas that I'd love to see in the films at some point, such as the ones mentioned above, though with Craig's Bond just starting off it probably wouldn't make sense to employ them any time soon.

The opening scenes aboard the Caribbean Prince play out like a classic pre-title sequence and I'd love to see Q Branch's Powerchute vehicle realized on screen someday. The ending reminds me very much of "OHMSS" except that this time around, the leading lady doesn't actually die, although with the way she ends up, she probably would be better off if she had. I've heard COLD resolves the issue of Flicka (I already know what happens to her) but I've heard that book is one of the worst so I probably won't be reading it.

3/5 stars

#3 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

twas a treat to read SEAFIRE when it first came out. 5 out of 5 for me.

#4 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

I read this one a while ago, and don't have sharp-clear memories, but I do remember one thing: I thought Bond was a damned amateur bastard when handling the end of his mission. He consciously refused to report and get some help when he could, preferring to go after the Villain alone. This was very unprofessional, since the success of the mission was at stakes, as was the security of his partner, and he had no other justification for doing so than his ego. If he had been one of my men, I would have seriously kicked his :(!
So I must say: the end really pissed me off!

#5 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:01 PM

I read this one a while ago, and don't have sharp-clear memories, but I do remember one thing: I thought Bond was a damned amateur bastard when handling the end of his mission. He consciously refused to report and get some help when he could, preferring to go after the Villain alone. This was very unprofessional, since the success of the mission was at stakes, as was the security of his partner, and he had no other justification for doing so than his ego. If he had been one of my men, I would have seriously kicked his :(!
So I must say: the end really pissed me off!

:) Wow :)

#6 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

:) Wow :)

Yeah. I know, I don't look like that... :(

#7 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

Infatti, sei molto piu bella se posso dire :(

#8 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

Infatti, sei molto piu bella se posso dire :)

:(
Ahem... Spero che non ci sono molti Italiani su questo forum... :)
Così, capisco che ti piacciono meglio le ":)-kicking" donne? Interessante... "Sigmund Freud, analyze this!" ;) :D

#9 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:50 PM

Ti do la mia parola che mi piaci comme sei, carra. Lunica cosa che mi ha dispiacuto e che non avevamo molto tempo insieme. Comme hai detto perro - un altro tempo, un altro posto. :(