29 replies to this topic

#1 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 09:36 PM

I dont want to think of it, God Save Her but it will happen some day, the Queen will die or retire, will it be On "His" Magestys Secret Service?

#2 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 09:47 PM

I presume it would be On His Majesties Secret Service, but they probably wouldn't mention it, just OHMSS.

#3 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 09:58 PM

But think of it, she is Queen since 1952, 50 years, I just cant think of it, if Bond must end he must end with her,

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 10:21 PM

Er, do you mean the title of the novel/film? That would stay the same, I should think. And what does 'OHMSS' stand for when it's printed on the dockets in Thunderball? Because On Her Majesty’s Secret Service doesn't make sense in that case...

Or do you mean MI6 aka 'Her Majesty's Secret Service'. Since this is, as far as I know, an unofficial title, it would just change to 'His' (which it would if it were official). I've heard 'Her(His) Majesty's Service' to refer to civil employees. 'Her(His) Majesty's Forces' refer to the army, navy, air force and other military groups.

#5 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 01:47 AM

General, are you sure it doesn't read OHMS (On Her Majesty's Service)? That's in common usage on British government documents--or at least it was during Ian Fleming's lifetime. Fleming added "Secret" to common bureaucratese and--voila!--a classic Bond title is born.

#6 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 01:50 AM

When she dies it reverts to "His" because Charles takes the thrown, the existing titles for the novel will still stand because of the publication date, and the fact that is the title. Same goes for the film I'd dare say.

#7 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 07:25 PM

No I dont mean just the film, the MI6 aka, and the Kingdom, Bond was "Her" spy not "His".

#8 Havelock

Havelock

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 03:41 PM

Who cares? All it means for most people in the UK is a day off work and endless documentaries and live tv shows on her life and funeral.

#9 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 07:27 PM

I am not living in UK, I am from Switzerland, my mother was English, my father was Swiss. They are both dead and I am living with my grandfather, in Zurich. As a half English, The Royal Family and the Kingdom is so important to me, I asked it for these reasons Havelock.

#10 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 12:33 AM

As far as the James Bond film series is concerned, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL will happen when Brenda (as the Queen is for some reason popularly referred to in the UK) kicks the bucket. As far as I can remember, Her Majesty has never even been mentioned in a Bond film. YOLT, I don't know why you seem to think the character of James Bond is in any way connected with Elizabeth II. Why should he be "killed off" in the event of her real life death? The bottom line is that Bond spies on behalf of his country and its people, regardless of who happens to be head of state, and frankly I can see the UK becoming a republic before I can see James Bond bowing out.

#11 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 12:49 AM

Originally posted by Loomis
As far as I can remember, Her Majesty has never even been mentioned in a Bond film.

Well, there is the scene in OHMSS, where Bond is in his office and he raises a glass to a portrait of the Queen.

#12 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 26 September 2002 - 01:32 AM

What about the time in Goldeneye when 006 says something like "James Bond Her Majesty's loyal (or is it 'royal'?) terrier and Bond raises his gun.

Would that count?

#13 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 02:16 AM

And of course all the Navy ships' designations of H.M.S. will change from meaning 'Her Majesty's Ship' to 'His Majesty's Ship'.

#14 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 06:30 AM

won't affect Bond, he'll still exist and they won't go back and change things like titles....the H would just mean his now....

#15 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 07:28 AM

When the Queen dies, we get a barking vegetable fancier (and into the definition of vegetable comes you, Parker Bowles) who we have to pay to be there whilst everyone else from "outside of" the UK marvels at the pageantry and how bright and shiny it all is. Woo-hoo.

Although, that said, The Prince of Wales has threatened this week that if his future subjects/objects (we are not citizens) don't start listening to his valid opinions about humanely running an animal to exhaustion and then having it torn apart, or his view on...I dunno..hedgrows or some such bumpkinry, then he'll leave the country and spend the rest of his life skiing.

Off you go, then.

(And no mockery from the Australian "corner"; you lot actually voted to keep this bunch of inbred cretins in charge of you. What was that about then?)

#16 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 07:46 AM

Originally posted by Jim

(And no mockery from the Australian "corner"; you lot actually voted to keep this bunch of inbred cretins in charge of you. What was that about then?)

most people wanted to become a republic, we voted no on the way the government was going to go about it.
basically (if anybody cares) the president wouldnt do anything and the prime minister would still be in charge, and the public doesnt even get a say who the president would be. thats why most people voted no.

#17 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 07:54 AM

But nobody got a say in who the monarch would be - just happened to fall from a particular womb. But I see your point. Have fun being generally governed by a Governor-General.

#18 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 10:47 PM

In practice, having Brenda as titular Queen of Australia has no effect. Had the insufficiently thought out republican model been accepted, we in Australia would have been stuck with it.

As for when the Queen goes to the great throne in the sky, Bond won't be affected.

Unless we have a plot revealing that Charles III is a puppet clone controlled by an evil mastermind out to usurp a... er... minor European island.

#19 Fiona

Fiona

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 06:06 PM

Personally I don't care if they all die. Though I expect James will do it for king and country!

#20 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 01:45 AM

I don't think it makes any differnence to Bond movie after all at the end of one movie their is a female prime minister and it is a male one now.

Bond just moves with the times.

#21 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 10:57 AM

Originally posted by Jim

Phht. Your kidding aren't you? Don't tell me you've never experienced Aussie humour?

Of course we need someone to laugh at and take the piss out of while sending all the lousy beer there and keeping all the good stuff here for ourselves.

#22 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 06:55 PM

Ever had a Guiness in Austrailia? Pure filth. In Britain- it tastes correct.

Someone change the idiotic title of this thread to Australia Vs England or something.

#23 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 10:20 PM

Guiness is Irish. Had a VB or Crown though? :)

#24 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 07:08 PM

I know Guiness is Irish (sigh) - I'm saying that by the time it gets to Oz it tastes like poo. So you've never tried it in its correct state. I've taken VB (over here). Its okay. Perhaps yours doesnt travel either.

#25 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 08:28 PM

Yeah I know the guiness here in oz is ****. Which is dissapointing, i think the sames most likely true of VB which isn't good. Kind of depressing actually now i think about it, because we've already sent the **** foster's and that there. Suppose Guiness'll be on the cards.

#26 paulcszt

paulcszt

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 11:15 PM

i dont think if the queen dies it will matter to bond, but i hope she does not die i couldnt stand to see so much **** on the tv again

#27 General Gogol

General Gogol

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 03:34 AM

I am not a member of the intelligence community, but I do have several friends that are and they have told me the following. It would change to his majestys service. Also on her majestys service is to the best of my knowledge still used today on official documents pertaining to that of MI-6. Have a great day!!!

#28 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 01 December 2002 - 05:20 AM

If the Queen dies, Bond will team up with special agent Charles and fight un-organic farmers and modern architects! Carrotfinger sounds like a good enough title to me. Bond's AM will be able to talk to plants, et cetera.

But all mockery aside, I hope at least Canada does not become a republic. I hate the idea of spending millions of taxes on electing a jerk who does the same thing that a king does but without gold-covered vehicles. And we in Canada (and the rest of the Commonwealth) get to oh and ah at whatever show the Royal family puts on, but we don't have to pay! That's what Britain gets for colonising the world...

#29 Rayliottaasbond

Rayliottaasbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 08:40 PM

When the Queen dies. I will throw a party.

#30 Rayliottaasbond

Rayliottaasbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 08:42 PM

Sorry, I'm not very patriotic HAHAHA. Despite my unwavering loyalty to two of our greatest exports: Bond and the Beatles.