16 replies to this topic

#1 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 02:52 AM

A movie site called Rotten Tomatoes.com has a general discussion forum and someone recently started a thread with a poll to pick the next Bond.

The choices included:
Colin Farrel
Russell Crowe
Robbie Williams
Hugh Grant
Ewan McGregor
Hugh Jackman
Sign Pierce Brosnan
Other

Obviously nobody there is a big Bond fan since Pierce is likely to do Bond 21, making number 7 kind of redundant. Most of the posters expressed support for Clive Owen, and Jackman picked up some votes too. Others shot down Grant and Crowe.

On the other hand, it had its share of jerks making snide comments about how people like McGregor would waste their talent, etc. in the Bond series. One guy in particular is an annoying know-it-all who thinks he's witty. He's into mostly foreign movies and likes to insult people who like franchises, calling them "fanboys." Wow, good one. The joke here is the guy goes by the user name Legolas Greenleaf and is a big Lord of the Rings supporter. Kinda' the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it?

Anyway, it was interesting to hear what some general movie fans think about the next Bond.

#2 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 05:38 AM

With the exception of Jackman (my own favorite), I think these choices show an incredible lack of imagination. . .the ordinary, everyday fans seem to gravitate toward big-name British or Commonwealth actors without considering if he's right to play Bond. Ah, well, I remember back in 1985 a lot of people were saying the ONLY person who could follow Roger Moore would be Mel Gibson and the series would die without him.

#3 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 11:50 AM

Look here...

http://www.rottentom...&highlight=bond

#4 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 03:41 PM

While I like the idea of Farrel or Jackman it wouldn't surprise me if Bond number 7 came out of left field. Brosnan has one or two films left in him. There could be a lot of new contenders on the scene by the time he's finished.

#5 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 03:47 PM

I don't think it'll be anyone ever mentioned...

#6 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 04:21 AM

For the most part, I found them to be a bunch of pushy jerks being very biased.

Dave

#7 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 06:29 AM

I read the posts, a bit of nonsence I think, I never pay attention to non Bond fans anyways.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I dont think theyll go with an unknown, simply because they dont want to repeat the Lazenby fiasco (whether it was actually a fiasco is not the point here, but it wasnt :)). Whether the big star they get is Jackman or someone else is up in the air, but I think they will get someone who is established.

#8 Nightwolf

Nightwolf

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 05:23 PM

Brosnan already set to do Bond 21, but who will be next my views are
Hugh Jackman: NO way
Colin Farral: Maybe a top contender
Clive Owen: Yeah could be a good Bond
Robbie Williams: the closest thing he'll get to being Bond will be singing the titles

But I have to say once again, the perfect replacement for Brosnan would be Sean Bean, but how can we have him when he played the bad guy in Golden Eye.

But also not many people are taking Gerard Butler seriously I think he too could be a damn good Bond.

#9 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 05:55 PM

I agree Bean would have made a good Bond. They could bring him back as Bond though, although people who don't actually watch many films may think how can a dead villain become the new Bond?

#10 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 05:57 PM

Hugh Jackman is the top choice I think among Eon and MGM. It only makes sense from a business standpoint. Everyone knows who Jackman is, not everyone knows who those others are.

#11 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 05:12 AM

I watched the Croupier with Clive Owens two days ago.Good movie. But I didn't see Bond. Maybe he could be Simon Templar, if some producer want to make a good Saint movie. By the way Alex Kingston is a fox.

#12 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 12:56 PM

Colin Farrell is only about 27!

#13 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 02:17 PM

For this mighty queen I always thought Mr McGregor would be excellent - hes got the looks that cross both sexes... The draw at the box office and that accent. Thank God my legs are crossed.

#14 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 06:14 PM

McGregor as in Ewan McGregor? Nah, he's too short, and he doesnt have the right look.

#15 Double oh Ten

Double oh Ten

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 06:28 PM

It is most probable that Clive Owen will be the next Bond: Cheap, British and a Right Side Parting!

No Russel, no Ewan and no Hugh's! After Clive, probably Ioan Gryffyd. If not, then maybe Jeremy Northam.

Personally I think that Clive Owen would make a great Bond, and Ioan, but I would donate my life savings to the production to see either James Purefoy or Clive Owen as Bond.

By the way, my full length Bond novel NEVER LIVE TO LOVE has started production, release date JANUARY 1ST 2003!

#16 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 02:56 AM

I must apologize to Double oh Ten and Nightwolf. I just watched the trailer for the John Woo directed short film the Hostage on www.bnwfilms.com, starring Clive Owen. Clive Owen as James Bond, maybe. Maybe indeed.

#17 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 02:58 AM

Sorry, that's www.bmwfilms.com