This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Brosnas has one more in him, but who's next???

39 replies to this topic

#1 00Evan

00Evan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 07:58 PM

I think Pierce Brosnan has filled in Connery's shoes perfectly. He, in my opinion, is the best James Bond out there. However, as Bond 21 will most likely be his last, who do u think is fit to replace our beloved 007?

Let's hear who everyone legitimately thinks has a chance to contend in the running for the next James Bond.

#2 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 09:14 PM

Hi 00Evan.

Just to get the ball rolling...
How about Rufus Swell from 'A Knights Tale'? His name doesn't come up very often in these discussions. He's doing a great job on the new Bond audio books and has an edgy, dark look. Similar to a young Ian McShane in many ways.

#3 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 01:42 AM

Hey Roebuck:

My brother agrees with you...Rufus Swell would be a good choice. I personally for Hugh Jackman, but I would like see him in a spy flick of some kind to see if I am right.

But folks....please do not underestimate Mr. Brosnan. I think he's got two more Bond's in him....one for him and one for the financial future of his production company, Irish DreamTime.

-- Xenobia

#4 med77_99

med77_99

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 11:29 AM

hi guys..
i personally vote for hugh jackman..im sure that he would be a perfect bond..
but what do u think of Jason Issacs ( the patriot , sweet november ) dont u think he would be a good Bond??
and how about this u guys , what if Dalton decides to make an unofficial bond movie in the year 2005 the same year brosnan makes his 5th bond?? wouldnt it be cool to watch 2 bond movies back to back the same year?? just like sean connery with Never say never again..
i think it would be cooool ?!!
take care
med

#5 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 12:00 PM

Welcome med77_99

While It would be interesting to see how someone other than EON would make a Bond flick I'd prefer that someone else NOT to be Kevin McClory. He's had his shot and was found wanting. Anyway, two Bonds released in the same year might have a detrimental effect on the box office takings of them both.
I like the idea of Jason Issacs as 007, but does anyone else think he looks a bit like Dalton?

#6 med77_99

med77_99

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 07:00 AM

hi roebuck..
i agree with u , issacs does look like dalton indeed..i guess if he makes a bond movie , he will bring back memories..
med

#7 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 07:43 AM

Originally posted by Xenobia
I'm personally for Hugh Jackman, but I would like see him in a spy flick of some kind..

Xen - Check out Swordfish (just FF through everything but Hugh). It's psuedo spy/Joel Silver glam-slam-bang but Hugh has some moments.

I'm on the Jackman band-wagon (Bond-wagon?) as well and I think he could do it and in another few years he'll be closer to 40 which is just about right for Bond.

He certainly can do the action (what was that movie....X Files...XXX...something like that;) ) and he did a romantic comedy w/ Ashley Judd that been running on cable (seemingly) day & night this past month. There's a few scenes (including one with him cleaned up in a tux) that display (IMO) the required Bond wit/attitude as well a presence that both Sean and Pierce have brought to the role.

BUT...only IF he wants to do it...remember: Bond is not just a role anymore...He's an icon. Jackman knows this and is obviously a smart man...well, as smart as an actor can be in today's world.

I guess that's why I'll always give Lazenby a "guts" award for stepping in after five films with Sean as 007. He was the first "new" Bond. Now, the torch is expected to be passed....I wouldn't mind catching that pass myself someday;)

#8 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 03:32 PM

People who know me know who I want. But just for the record, I think Hugh Jackman should be the next Bond, and I think its most likely going to be him (based on interviews he's done, and such).

#9 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 01:06 AM

I personally think Brosnan has anther one at least if not more.

#10 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 03:01 AM

Personally, I think Brosnan has at least two more, ending his tenure with a sixth film, although he might try to do a 7th film, it could end up being like Moore's sixth, a mixed bag.

#11 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 12:36 AM

Although it's very likely that Eon will go for an unknown like Martin Crewes(Resident Evil), or an even more obscure actor like Lance Peters (II) (Proteus-1995), I am still 100% for Hugh Jackman. I saw Kate and Leopold not long ago and he would be perfect as Bond, and Jackman sure has the charm and sophistication that is required for the role. He should also be the right age around the time Brosnan retires. IMO, Brosnan will probably go on to do Bond 21 and 22 because he knows that his career will be thinning out after he leaves the series. I am still worried that Brosnan in 2007 will look an awful lot like Moore did in 1985.

#12 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Xenobia
Hey Roebuck:

My brother agrees with you...Rufus Swell would be a good choice.  I personally for Hugh Jackman, but I would like see him in a spy flick of some kind to see if I am right.

But folks....please do not underestimate Mr. Brosnan.   I think he's got two more Bond's in him....one for him and one for the financial future of his production company, Irish DreamTime.

-- Xenobia

I don't like the idea of Sewell; he's very slight, looks like a wimp in a fight. But Jackman has been my frontrunner for a long time!

And if you saw the Oscars, you know he looks outstanding in a tux!!

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 06:02 PM

Who will be the next Bond? Jeeze! Is this the most tired conversation in all of Bondom? I put this in another thread but it's worth repeating here. I have old fanzines that speculate endlessly as to who will replace Roger Moore after, ready for it: The Spy Who Love Me!

At this point I see speculating who will be the next Bond a big waste of time. The person who will replace Pierce (and succeed in doing so) will be the obvious natural successor just as Pierce was in '95 (and even

#14 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 06:29 PM

Pierce is definitely our Bond right now and I think the most likely thing that will happen is that he retires in 2007, thus having made 6 films. It is awhile until he leaves the series and it may not be necessary to debate the issue on who's the next guy. It's like talking about what will happen in the 22nd century, but we don't need to do that cause none of us will be there.

#15 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 07:21 PM

Originally posted by zencat
Who will be the next Bond? Jeeze! Is this the most tired conversation in all of Bondom? I put this in another thread but it's worth repeating here. I have old fanzines that speculate endlessly as to who will replace Roger Moore after, ready for it: The Spy Who Love Me!  

Whatever. Fans also speculated about Pierce Brosnan starting from around 1987, so it's not like fan speculation is automatically wrong.

As to the accusation of "most tired conversation," that depends on how long you've been around, and what your particular tastes are. I find it a pleasure to visualize various actors in the role; you may disagree.

On every message board I've ever seen, it will happen from time to time that those with less board experience will re-raise topics that old-timers are sick of. Should such topics be banned? This has proven to be a bad idea, as even the most active and exciting boards inevitably die without new blood, and that means maintaining topics that newbies want to discuss. Oldsters who are sick of those topics are generally well-advised to stay politely out of them.

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Kara Milovy
Should such topics be banned?

Did I suggest banning this thread?

Oldsters who are sick of those topics are generally well-advised to stay politely out of them. [/B]

Then I will. But not before saying to you specially, Kara Milovy, that that last comment of yours was really ****ing rude!

#17 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 07:30 PM

My media teacher thinks Jackman is too "butch" for Bond, I can see his point, but I agree that Jackman has Bond potential. It's great to know no-one has mentioned Robbie Williams (hopefully Gareth Gates and WIll Young will NEVER pop up as Bond contenders). I would have to say Jackman, but don't reall have my eyes on anyone inparticular. Here's to me!

#18 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 07:57 PM

Did I suggest banning this thread?

Then I will. But not before saying to you specially, Kara Milovy, that that last comment of yours was really ****ing rude!

It wouldn't be the first time I was accused of being rude. OTOH, I didn't say anything that needed bleeping.

Some people might consider it rude to walk into the middle of a conversation that people were presumably enjoying and telling them that it's "tired" and "a big waste of time." Instead of simply calling you "****ing rude," I offered a suggestion. I'm sorry you find that offensive. OTOH, I don't like being called "tired," and I'm really totally comfortable with tit for tat.

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:04 PM

I'm not going to get into a argument with you Kara Milovy. I will leave you all to your thread. I thought I had something to add by bringing in some history of the topic. "The past predicts the future"...I find historical perspective helpful. That's all I was trying to do here. But I'm happy to leave the disscussion, as requested.

And I think "oldster" is worth bleeping.

My apologies to topic starter "00Evan" if my post seemed rude.

#20 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:17 PM

I'm not going to get into a argument with you Kara Milovy. I will leave you all to your thread. I thought I had something to add by bringing in some history of the topic. "The past predicts the future"...I find historical perspective helpful. That's all I was trying to do here. But I'm happy to leave the disscussion, as requested.

And I think "oldster" is worth bleeping.

My apologies to topic starter "00Evan" if my post seemed rude.

Okay, I don't want to get into a fight either.

But I must apologize if "oldster" offended you. It is common parlance on many message boards -- the opposite of "newbie," both of which are descriptive and neither of which is derogatory.

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:22 PM

But I must apologize if "oldster" offended you. It is common parlance on many message boards -- the opposite of "newbie," both of which are descriptive and neither of which is derogatory.

Actually, I took "oldster" to mean that I was "old" (which I am--at least in fandom years :)). I didn't realize you where using it as the opposite of "newbie." I think we just had a big misunderstanding.

#22 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:50 PM

Actually, I took "oldster" to mean that I was "old" (which I am--at least in fandom years :)). I didn't realize you where using it as the opposite of "newbie." I think we just had a big misunderstanding.

I'm sure we did! :)

I'm active on the IMDb. This sort of thing happens all the time. After you've been on the boards for six months, you just don't want to ever see another "Top Ten Comedies" list as long as you live. But they remain popular, and I'm sure if you went over there now, you'd find one.

As long as "newbie" doesn't mean you're young...well, I shouldn't complain. I'm a newbie on CBn, and when you're fortysomething, that looks good. :)

#23 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:53 PM

I'm sure we did! :)

Truce then! :)

And your point is well taken. :)

#24 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 09:24 PM

What the hell is OTOH?

#25 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 03:46 AM

Originally posted by marktmurphy
What the hell is OTOH?

That is what I was thinking.

#26 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 04:04 AM

OTOH: On the other hand

#27 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 02:56 PM

oooh, Netspeak lesson is in order.

As MBE says, OTOH = On the Other Hand
You probably all know LOL = Laughing Out Loud

Other useful, commonly-seen abbreviations are...

BTW = By the way.
OIC = Oh, I see.
LTNS = Long time no see.

I got a million of 'em. :)

#28 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 11:47 PM

I saw Hugh Jackman in a movie for the first time last night and would have to agree that he would make a good Bond. It wasn't an action movie so I can't say great Bond yet, but I think he would be a good replacement for when Brosnan hangs up his gun.

26 days to go

#29 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 12:09 AM

OHH.... I thought we were going to have a Bondpurist moment for a sec :)

#30 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 04 October 2002 - 02:00 AM

I need a big lesson on net abbreviations. :)