6 replies to this topic

#1 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 09:04 PM

We know that Bond's mother is Swiss, so his not pure English. I want Bond to live forever, till the dome. As England is in E.U, using the Swiss connection he can be a spy of the E.U., what do you think about this?

#2 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 09:31 PM

Doesnt anyone have an idea about this, what do you think about a European Bond?

#3 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 09:41 PM

I don't think it would be right to change the nature of Bond in such a drastic way. This would be meddling with Fleming's creation.

Anyway, Bond is sort of an agent for the EU (and the world) anyway given how many times he has saved it. Making him more European would take away the British-ness that helps make Bond great.

#4 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 09:56 PM

If it ever gets to the point where it doesn't make sense for Britain to have its own agents then it would be time to set Bond films and novels in the past.

#5 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 07:35 PM

But I think Fleming had an idea by making Bond half Swiss, of course Bond's origin is English, nobody can change this, but U.K is not an empire any more, I am asking it for maybe 50 years or more not for now.

#6 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 08:03 PM

I think Fleming made Bond half Swiss to emphasis Bond's outsider nature. He is English...but not totally so...so he will never fit completely in...

And let's not forget...Bond's father was not English...but Scottish. That adds to Bond's sense of never quite fitting in....according to Pearson's book.

-- Xenobia

#7 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 01:27 AM

An International Bond? Well, remember the rumor a couple of years ago that Jean-Claude van Damme would be playing 007? "Dee nim iz Bunt, Jhames Bunt." I don't think so. Everybody has to come from somewhere, so Bond might as well come from the British Isles.