5 replies to this topic

#1 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 07:55 PM

Yesterday saw me complete NDOD. It is, I have to say, the best Bond bok I have read so far. The whole book is gripping, and the Bond/Tylyn romance is amazing. Benson does wonders in explaining Bond's feelings, and how it hurts to leave the woman he loves. Every page is a different surprise. I could never realise that
Spoiler
. The way that Cesari 'feel' with his senses is amazing, and I truely felt saddened when
Spoiler
. The humour in the book comes from Bond's hapless ally Collette, who also receives some torture, e.g
Spoiler
. Benson is so far my fav Bond author, although the majority of books I've read are his. What happens at the beginning excellently fits in at the end of the book, where
Spoiler
. I must admit, I did feel sorry for Draco, as
Spoiler
. Well, thats my review, sort of, on NDOD, and now I'm reading TMWTRT, so expect more praises of Benson to come!:)

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 08:46 PM

I'm with you, Carver. NDOD is my favortite Benson book. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. :)

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 07:23 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm glad to see not everybody's as miserable an old curmudgeon as me. They are written to be enjoyed and it seems to have worked.

#4 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 08:06 AM

Hell, Jim. Have you thrown in the towel?

The only reason I come to these Benson related posts is to see you lambasting every last point to these books.

Is anyone willing to take up the mantle?

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 10:29 AM

Nope, haven't given in.

But my views are my views only, no more or less valid than those who deem Mr Benson's product as worthy gawps. If someone derived pleasure from the book, then that's their business and I'm not here to impose my opinion as correct. Just to impose my opinion.

The towel remains in the corner and I will come out fighting every time. But ultimately, any view is no more consequential than...what's the phrase...sparrows' tears (although sparrows' farts would be more descriptive).

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Simon
The only reason I come to these Benson related posts is to see you lambasting every last point to these books.

Is anyone willing to take up the mantle?

You know, it would be nice to have one Benson thread that doesn't turn into a referendum on his writing abilities. Can I ask for that?

I will happily move your post to the appropriate thread where this is being discussed, Simon.