This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Which Bond actor do you think of when reading the Bond books?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Sbott

Sbott

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:28 PM

Last night i was reading Devil may care, which is set in the 60's, and the image of Bond which kept coming to mind was Daniel Graig. Up until CR it had always been Sean Connery, even though TD is my favorite Bond actor.

So I was just wondering which Bond actor, or other actors, come to mind as you are reading Devil May Care or any other Bond book.

#2 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:35 PM

http://debrief.comma...showtopic=47169

I don't have an actor in mind when I read a Bond book. I have a mental image for the Fleming Bond, and a different one for the Gardner Bond (haven't read the other previous continuation authors).
When I read The Moneypenny Diaries, I have the Fleming Bond in mind, and it fits quite well.
I haven't read enough of DMC yet to know whether it'll be the same, or a different image, like with the Gardner books.

#3 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:45 PM

Actually, I can only picture Lazenby. Mainly because he resembles the Fleming Bond most and he also acted like him in OHMSS. I think it's mainly because he played Bond in the movie where his dialogue was from the book more than any other.

As for Devil May Care, I think Faulks's Bond resembles Daniel Craig a lot because he seems more laconic than Fleming.

#4 Gabriel

Gabriel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:22 AM

Fleming's Bond is kind of amorphous.I can't see him as any actor I know! Kingsley Amis manages to capture the Fleming character best of all subsequent authors. John Gardner's Bond always seems reminiscent of Sean Connery to me, except for Licence to Kill where he's unquestionably Dalton. Raymond Benson's Bond is so tied to the movie Bond that he could only be Pierce Brosnan's version.

Perhaps the best thing about EON's relaunch of the film series is that the books are now carving their own path independently of the movies.

#5 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:44 AM

Timothy Dalton; no question about it.

Ironically, I don't think he would have been high on my list last read through on the original Fleming novels. But, starting again w/ them in order, he immediately came to mind in Live and Let Die. Then again, many of those scenes were his, eh?

#6 De Bleuchamp

De Bleuchamp

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

Thomas Gibson.

Edited by De Bleuchamp, 01 August 2009 - 04:36 PM.

#7 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

I think of Bond how Fleming described him, closest thing to a real person I could peg is a cross between Cary Grant and Timothy Dalton.

#8 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:47 PM

I don't picture any actor, but a cross between Connery and Dalton is the closest physically. Actually I kind of picture someone a cross between a young Clint Eastwood and James Brolin.

#9 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:18 AM

When reading a Bond novel, I can't help but envision Sean Connery. To me, he is James Bond.

#10 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

I never have a picture of any Bond actor when I read any of the books, apart from The Facts of Death when Bond is on a motorbike. I had Daniel Craig from QOS in his white jeans for some reason.

Otherwise its more a blur or smudge and thats the same for most books in general. That might reflect my imagination more than anything else. B)

#11 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

Well its always me, however I tend to look like Rupert Everett

#12 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:47 AM

For some reason, I always see Pierce Brosnan as Bond, except during the Flemings, where I usually see Craig or Connery.

darthbond

#13 bribond

bribond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:27 AM

The closest is Timothy Dalton, especially in the Fleming Bonds. In the books of the other writers it's a mix of Dalton in the most parts (the spying and the ruthless scenes) and Brosnan in the romantic scenes and action bits like the car chases.

But it's hard to pin down in some scenes, like the tennis game in Devil May Care since the books are its own creation. Great topic for discussion though.

#14 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:12 AM

The Flemings, which I'm going to copy+paste from another post where I racked them off, were not all actors, but usually when it was an actor, that actor was Dalton.

Spoiler

As for Continuations:

Spoiler

#15 Doctor No

Doctor No

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

Connery, not only is he my favorite Bond but he is the one who's version is closest to the era that Fleming wrote them about/in.

#16 Jeao007

Jeao007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:30 PM

I rarely think of any of the actors when I'm reading the books. I usually think of him as Fleming described him. Although If I do ever think of an actor it's Dalton.

#17 General Malice

General Malice

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:25 PM

From spending far too much time as a child reading various 'Doctor Who' books that described Jon Pertwee as the 'James Bond-like Doctor', I rather irritatingly started picturing Mr Pertwee as Bond when I read a Fleming. I think it's far too late for therapy to cure it now...

#18 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:53 AM

I always pictured the George Almond illustration of Bond from Benson's James Bond Bedside Companion.