11 replies to this topic

#1 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:57 PM

Not to create a paradox or to shoot down the authenticity of the other continuation writers; but I can't help but wonder if DMC will the actual finale to the Fleming Bond.

Especially in the first premise of what the novel is going to be about. When Faulks mentions "The old gunslinger back for one last mission." Please don't quote that as verbatim by the way. But he does say something similar to that.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws?

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:50 PM

I doubt it will act as the "ultimate" finale since that somewhat closes the door on future Bond continuation novels.

Although, it's not like a lack of continuity ever got in the way before...

#3 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:15 PM

I doubt it as well.

I liken it to long running television series - they are relunctant to kill off characters at the end of the show because then viewers are less likely to watch the show in syndication.

Killing Bond off would bring press - but they already have plenty of that.

It would hurt future sales so it would not be in their best interests to do it.

#4 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:46 PM

I'd probably liken Devil May Care to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. People may think of it as the last of the "Fleming-era" Bond novels, and 007 may ride off into the sunset, but it doesn't shut the door on the possibility of another.

I don't think we should take Faulks' statement so literally.

#5 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:14 AM

I certainly hope that this isn't Bond's final literary mission. If this book just turns out to be even 1/4 as good as I'm expecting to be, I'll be very much hoping for some sort of follow up to the story (not that it's going to happen, but it would be great if it did).

#6 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:24 AM

I expect some ambiguity.

#7 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:33 AM

Bond's last mission DMC? I definitely don't think so. No continuation author would be allowed to do anything final in any way to the character. This just doesn't happen, if only to keep the door open for any kind of resurrection of the series.

Faulks 'gunslinger' comments do seem to stem from the very early days of the project, a stage where several changes could have been made to the general direction DMC would finally take. Later comments indicate that either Faulks has chosen to change his mind or was persuaded to do so. Faulks has declared the comeback of the miraculously recovered Bond from the good old days. We've had a discussion on this peculiar question here:

http://debrief.comma...p...=46860&st=0

#8 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:35 AM

DMC the final Bond? I don't think IFP would allow it.

And kill Bond off? Of course not. We know he returns in Christopher Wood's superb "James Bond, the Spy Who Loved Me", don't we? :tup: *

And that even now he is alive and well (and obviously knackered).

* I exclude the book about the person claiming to be Bond that John Pearson writes as the man is clearly an imposter. :tup:

#9 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:58 PM

I doubt it will act as the "ultimate" finale since that somewhat closes the door on future Bond continuation novels.

Although, it's not like a lack of continuity ever got in the way before...

Indeed. Some sort of FRWL style ending would be pretty cool I think, leaving it up in the air and open to discussion.

#10 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:17 PM

DMC the final Bond? I don't think IFP would allow it.

And kill Bond off? Of course not. We know he returns in Christopher Wood's superb "James Bond, the Spy Who Loved Me", don't we? :tup: *

And that even now he is alive and well (and obviously knackered).

* I exclude the book about the person claiming to be Bond that John Pearson writes as the man is clearly an imposter. :tup:

LOL! Exactly! Must be somebody Redland sent to confuse the western service community.

#11 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:25 PM

...Especially in the first premise of what the novel is going to be about. When Faulks mentions "The old gunslinger back for one last mission." Please don't quote that as verbatim by the way. But he does say something similar to that...

#12 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

Hasn't the possibility of continuing after DMC if it succeeds already been mentioned?