86 replies to this topic

#61 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:49 AM

It probably made the NY Times Bestsellers list and that's something that hasn't happened for a very long time. I don't think they could have done much better to be honest.

As I mentioned above, it wasn't listed on last Sunday's list. Maybe this upcoming Sunday?

I believe they publish week behind, I'm just guessing based on sales rank at Amazon and BN. DMC is ranked within the top 10 still in fiction on Amazon so.. I would bet since it's held in there that it may give them a spot.

#62 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:52 PM

On Tuesday I visited a Barnes and Noble store and found not a single copy of DMC. They may have been sold out but I didnt ask, they did have the Moneypenny Diaries and Young Bond aplenty though.

#63 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:56 PM

Looks like I was right! Doubleday let the United States down. :tup:

I think they met expectations for what a Bond novel can do in the US. Bond in literary form is not as popular here as may be in the UK. Could have done some better work perhaps, but consider everyone involved making the book was off promoting it in the UK, not to mention that in the US very few even know who Sabastian Faulks is.

It probably made the NY Times Bestsellers list and that's something that hasn't happened for a very long time. I don't think they could have done much better to be honest.

Spending a little money on cardboard displays for bookstores and newspaper/magazine advertisements can go a long way. From what I've heard, there was none of that for <span class="book" id="booktag">Devil May Care</span> in the US. :tup:

I think you need to re-read this thread. We have posts here about in-store displays and ads in USA Today. Not to mention an excerpt in Vanity Fair (that is no small thing) and a dedicated website. And DMC is #8 on the NYTimes bestseller list. Sure, they didn't deliver the book in a fleet of Bentley's, but I think Doubleday is doing just fine by Bond.

#64 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:29 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

Posted Image
Solid debut for Sebastian Faulks' James Bond novel

#65 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:52 PM

Looks like I was right! Doubleday let the United States down. :tup:

I think they met expectations for what a Bond novel can do in the US. Bond in literary form is not as popular here as may be in the UK. Could have done some better work perhaps, but consider everyone involved making the book was off promoting it in the UK, not to mention that in the US very few even know who Sabastian Faulks is.

Spending a little money on cardboard displays for bookstores and newspaper/magazine advertisements can go a long way. From what I've heard, there was none of that for (dmc) in the US. :tup:

I think you need to re-read this thread. We have posts here about in-store displays and ads in USA Today. Not to mention an excerpt in Vanity Fair (that is no small thing) and a dedicated website. And DMC is #8 on the NYTimes bestseller list. Sure, they didn't deliver the book in a fleet of Bentley's, but I think Doubleday is doing just fine by Bond.

Doubleday Canada have done newspaper advertising for Devil May Care in at least one of our free dailies - so I imagine their US counterpart have promoted the book similarly.

#66 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:32 PM

DMC has been listed as a new offering by the Literary Guild.

#67 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:01 AM

Apparently there's an American book club edition. Has anyone seen this? Is it different for the regular US edition?

#68 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:16 AM

Apparently there's an American book club edition. Has anyone seen this? Is it different for the regular US edition?

Really? How'd you hear of this, zen?

#69 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:41 AM

Go to the Amazon DMC listing and look at the marketplace/used editions. Many of the top (cheapest) listings are noted as BCE.

#70 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:44 AM

Hmmm. For some reason I didn't even think that there would be a book club edition of this novel.

#71 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:41 PM

If anyone receives, or has access to, the July catalog from The Literary Guild, DMC is listed on page seven. Also on that page is the compilation of Fleming's first three Bond novels, plus "The Messenger" and "The Secret Servant" by Daniel Silva.

The member's edition is listed for $18.99, but it doesn't say how many pages there are in the book. The cover is the same as on the standard US edition.

#72 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:14 AM

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #309 in Books :tup:

#73 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:25 PM

Go to the Amazon DMC listing and look at the marketplace/used editions. Many of the top (cheapest) listings are noted as BCE.

Just got one of these off of eBay. Will be interesting to see if it differs all that much from the regular edition once it arrives.

#74 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:30 PM

Let me know. If it's different, I'll need to grab one for myself.

#75 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:32 PM

Will do. :tup:

#76 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:10 PM

Got my copy in the mail today.

It's the same cover art, but the overall book itself is smaller in size with no price tag or number line.

There's also no "Book Club" label on it anywhere, but it's pretty obvious it is.

#77 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:17 PM

Smaller, eh? Cool. Think I might need to grab one.

#78 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:05 AM

Yeah, quite a bit. It looks nice on the shelf next to the US Doubleday and Random House large print editions (but I'm assuming only the nutty collectors would care about such things). :tup:

#79 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:31 AM

Oh, it's all about the shelf! :tup:

I've blocked out a spot on my book club shelf next to The Man From Barbarossa, the last U.S. continuation book club I know of (unless we count the Scholastic SilverFin).

#80 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:38 AM

I've blocked out a spot on my book club shelf next to The Man From Barbarossa, the last U.S. continuation book club I know of (if we don't count the Scholastic SilverFin).

Oh, really? Not having a huge collection of the book club editions of the Bond novels, I'd always just assumed there was one for all of the Gardners.

I've got to get more shelving space for these books. Had to resort to stacking several of them on top of eachother just to free up precious space.

#81 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:41 AM

I've blocked out a spot on my book club shelf next to The Man From Barbarossa, the last U.S. continuation book club I know of (if we don't count the Scholastic SilverFin).

Oh, really? Not having a huge collection of the book club editions of the Bond novels, I'd always just assumed there was one for all of the Gardners.

I have some nagging thought that there was a Death Is Forever U.S. book club that I somehow don't have.

EDIT: Looks like I was right. Found one on Alibras. It's on the way. Hopefully it really will be a book club. Think maybe I got burned once before and that's why I gave up and never got one. Or I have one in a box somewhere and it somehow didn't make it onto the shelf.

I know how fascinating this must be for all you readers.

BTW, I spotted a signed UK Never Send Flowers for $5000!

#82 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:01 PM

I have some nagging thought that there was a Death Is Forever U.S. book club that I somehow don't have.

EDIT: Looks like I was right. Found one on Alibras. It's on the way. Hopefully it really will be a book club. Think maybe I got burned once before and that's why I gave up and never got one. Or I have one in a box somewhere and it somehow didn't make it onto the shelf.

I know how fascinating this must be for all you readers.

Well it's fascinating for me. :tup: Let me know if it eventually turns out to be a book club.

BTW, I spotted a signed UK Never Send Flowers for $5000!

:(

#83 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:45 AM

Are Gardner books worth a lot as first editions? I don't mean in terms of quality, I mean as a collector. Are the Chopping-inspired covers worth more?

#84 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:28 AM

Are Gardner books worth a lot as first editions? I don't mean in terms of quality, I mean as a collector. Are the Chopping-inspired covers worth more?

UK Gardner firsts are worth money, especially if signed. The non-Chopping-inspired covers are worth more because those later books had very small print runs.

#85 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:44 AM

I've got a signed LR and a proof, both with the Chopping cover. The rest are US Putnams, which I don't think are worth all that much. Doesn't matter -- I won't ever sell them.

I wish CS and DMC had Chopping covers...

#86 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:46 AM

The rest are US Putnams, which I don't think are worth all that much.

Nope. You can actually get those (with perhaps the exception of Cold Fall) well under the list price.

#87 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:55 AM

Yeah. Putnam did a really bad job with those generic covers. Poor Gardner never had a chance to find more readers after the first two or three. They all looked like reprints of the same book.