6 replies to this topic

#1 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 August 2001 - 12:47 PM

I've been racking my brains lately trying to figure out who besides Benson could write 007 novels just as good as he can. Well...a former Western Australian now resident in the U.K. for 30 years named John Brosnan could be a suitable candidate. He's the guy who wrote the first authoritative book on the 007 films called, "JAMES BOND IN THE CINEMA" (1972 & '81). John writes a regular feature for STARBURST magazine each month where he comments on the current genre movies in his usual very opinionated style, and he's been doing it for more than 2 decades (I can remember at the time reading his behind the scenes look on FYEO). Anyway, like Benson he's an expert on the Bond movies (his favourites are the first 3 Connery films and thinks all the rest are disappointing) and understands Fleming's character.
Apart from this, John Brosnan is also an adventure & science fiction author; I've read two of his novels, SKYSHIP & THE MIDAS DEEP which he wrote in the '80's...they are exciting to read. He's imaginative and partial to a surprise plot twist or two.

Anyhow we will never get to know what he would have been like as a 007 author...but I am sure in my mind he would have done just as good a job as Benson.

#2 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 August 2001 - 10:21 AM

I've also thought he'd have been an excellent choice, and have a feeling he might have "auditioned" at the time that Gardner got the gig. He has a few entertaining thrillers under his belt, and knows Bond well.
Back in the early 70s, long before home video, when the only chance to see the Bond films was if some theatre had a Bond festival, Brosnan wrote "James Bond of the Movies". This was my bible! A blow by blow description of each movie, wittily recounted. Full cast and credits. Copious stills (only black and white - but that was still more than you could find any where else!) He revised it during the Moore years, but as the movies came out on video and turned up on TV there was less need for further editions.
But Bond fans of thirty odd years ago should all drink a toast to John Brosnan.
If you see this, John, thanks!

#3 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 15 August 2001 - 02:32 PM

White Persian (13 Aug, 2001 11:21 a.m.):
I've also thought he'd have been an excellent choice, and have a feeling he might have "auditioned" at the time that Gardner got the gig. He has a few entertaining thrillers under his belt, and knows Bond well.
Back in the early 70s, long before home video, when the only chance to see the Bond films was if some theatre had a Bond festival, Brosnan wrote "James Bond of the Movies". This was my bible! A blow by blow description of each movie, wittily recounted. Full cast and credits. Copious stills (only black and white - but that was still more than you could find any where else!)...But Bond fans of thirty odd years ago should all drink a toast to John Brosnan.
If you see this, John, thanks!

Yes...Brosnan's book brings back lovely memories. I first read it in the late 70's when I hadn't seen all the films listed in the book at that stage and it was weird for me seeing Lazenby's pictures plus seeing a fatter Connery in the DAF section.

Anyway, I didn't know Brosnan auditioned for the Gardner job...a shame he didn't get the gig. The only other author I heard who auditioned was Christopher Nicole. I've read at least two of his 60's spy novels dealing with his character who was an assassin working for British Intelligence. Very brutal and realistic, yet the stories ended up larger than life. Nicole has also written about the Carribean so perhaps he may have been a good choice as well.

#4 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 August 2001 - 11:55 AM

zencat (11 Aug, 2001 07:12 p.m.):
That's a very interesting choice. I’m sure he could do the job. Although I really have no patience with people who say the first 3 movies were the best and the rest were disappointments. It's like when people say, "Oh, DR. NO was the best because that was the first one, right?"

I agree with you. People who say that are a pain in the :). What an amazing coincidence he has the same surname as our current 007. I remember when this guy wrote an article in Starburst magazine about a Bond movie exhibition in the very early 80's which Cassandra Harris turned up at and this guy couldn't help commenting about her husband (how he thought he's got a great name !). This was in the days before he became famous as Remington Steele !.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 August 2001 - 06:12 PM

That's a very interesting choice. I

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 August 2001 - 04:14 PM

White Persian (13 Aug, 2001 11:21 a.m.):
But Bond fans of thirty odd years ago should all drink a toast to John Brosnan. If you see this, John, thanks!

When I came to full Bond madness (1980) there were only two books; Brosnan's book and Steven Jay Rubin's The James Bond Films. Yes, Brosnan's book was also like a bible to me as well.

#7 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 August 2001 - 10:24 AM

Of course it was "James Bond in the Cinema", not "James Bond of the Movies''.
I must be tired...or getting old!