27 replies to this topic

#1 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 01:49 PM

Please satisfy my curiosity. Hands up if anyone else loves that cheesy music when Bond and Amasova are at the pyramids presentation with Fekesh. Its the moment when Jaws appears. It never ceases to make me crease up! I just love it to bits. They way it has dated makes me love it even more.

Now obviously I cannot see you put your hands up, so you'll will have to type it.

#2 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 02:32 PM

well it works because the music comes from an in film source, not part of the score, so the coincidence of it hitting the note when revealing Jaws works really well...

#3 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 02:36 PM

Granted - the fact that it works well is understood. But my appreciation is of a far simpler factor - it is so funny/cool/cheesy all rolled into one - it makes me laugh and for that I love it.

I find that the film is full of similar stuff, and although I would never say I thought it was the best, it personally has the best feel good factor out of all the films.

Oh and I didn't see your hands up!

#4 Predator_007

Predator_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 04:11 PM

I take it you mean the "bah, ba, ba, ba, baaaaaaahhhhh" bit?

LOVE IT (in fact I like the music for the whole son et lumiere bit)

Incidentally, the voice-over/narration of the son et lumiere ... is that Charles Gray?? Can someone confirm?

I have to go on record by saying that the Spy sountrack is one of my favourites ... so 70s, but to me it is Bond.

#5 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 04:16 PM

Bond in 1977. I am glad I was too young to remember much of that awful decade, but damn it all, someone took pictures of me back then. Hide them, hide them! Terrible fashion, terrible disco music. Every now and then I like to play Disco Bond (Bond 77) and it makes me laugh.

#6 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 05:41 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
terrible disco music.  Every now and then I like to play Disco Bond (Bond 77) and it makes me laugh.

Disco music is brilliant, check out 'a fifth of Beethoven' from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, why do people not like Disco, its awesome.

#7 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 08:22 PM

Ah, TSWLM soundtrack, one of the best:D. I see what you mean about the 'cheesy' bit near the pyramids, it doesn't crease me up, but I do think that it is a great piece of music to go with Jaws, as the camera and light pans over him. And that voice does sound an awful lot like Charles Gray, well spotted for whoever said it (can't remember, sorry:o)

#8 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 01:32 AM

Leisure suits, The Bee Gees, mood rings, pet rocks, Jimmy Carter...God, that decade sucked! Oh, long sideburns, bellbottoms, The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, Moonraker, Buck Rogers....

#9 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 10:33 PM

I love the SWLM score. Besides the aforementioned Pyramids show, also the other little Egyptian bits, like when Bond is on his way to Fekkesh's and sees the minaret in the arch way, the music in the temple after Bond and Anya have the van ride, and the faux-Russian music when Bond first meets Gen. Gogol.

Dare I say I even like the Italian accordian? when Bond and Anya arrive in Sardinia? It ranks up there with the Goldfinger's stud farm music and the wacky Tokyo music in YOLT!!

Shoot me before I reveal any more love for cheese!

#10 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 10:44 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Leisure suits, The Bee Gees, mood rings, pet rocks, Jimmy Carter...God, that decade sucked!  Oh, long sideburns, bellbottoms, The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, Moonraker, Buck Rogers....

errr... James Brown, Sly And The Family Stone, Kool And The Gang, KC and The Sunshine Band, The Jackson 5, Star Wars, The Godfather, The French Connection, Shaft...the list goes on, that decade actually rocked.

#11 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 02:39 AM

'That wacky Tokyo music'??? That was just a version of the You Only Live Twice theme, am I correct? Or maybe not. Anywho, I like the 'Egyptian' music--it's neat-o.

How about the 'Ride to Atlantis' piece. Now that's some campy stuff! I love it!

#12 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:33 PM

I'm actually quite fond of TSWLM soundtrack in all, but I prefer TLD the de lux edition from Rycodisc!

#13 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 10:52 PM

I guess the music to the Tokyo scene wasn't as cheesy as having a kimino clad woman with the little taxi cart. But I still love the music anyway.

#14 Dortmunder

Dortmunder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 02:56 AM

Originally posted by Peter
Dare I say I even like the Italian accordian? when Bond and Anya arrive in Sardinia?

You're not the only one who likes that. :) I actually enjoy the "Italian Accordian" (Is that really what it's called?) very much. It gave the feel of the place that they were in, Italy.

As for the cheesy music at the pyramids, I like it. **Hand raised** It showed the time the movie was made, and IMO, still works today (only in the movie). As a matter of fact, I love the whole TSWLM soundtack, it ranks at #3 on my list.

#15 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 08:17 PM

yes, I too love TSWLM score. Cheesy/awful/cool rolled together. No wonder it was nominated for best score!

Stu

#16 MovieManOO7

MovieManOO7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 05:35 AM

The pyramid scene in TSWLM remains one of the most classic Bond scenes of all! It's excellent - from the menacing murder a la Jaws (which is probably, in my opinion, the best murder scene ever in a Bond film), to Jaws' disappearance when the light disappears, to Moore's triumphant exit - the music is the icing on the cake. Appropriate, effective, and adds the right touch of fun!

As for the score, I thought it was perfect for the movie. Besides, it's the only Bond film to have been nominated for Best Score according to the IMDb. Heck, it has gotten more Oscar nominations than any other Bond film (three - Best Art Direction/Set Decoration; Best Song; Best Score).

#17 Mr. Big

Mr. Big

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 05:40 PM

Come on it was 1976-1977, it wasn't dated-sounding or cheesy back then.

#18 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 04:56 AM

most to all Bond films play in the safe zone with music ..so they don't sound really dated when you go back and watch them 10 -20 years later..

But TSWLM does have a little disco feel for the instrumental music..

BUT I'd rather have the music have that.. then Roger disco dancing or in 1985 breakdancing.. :)

thank god they didn't do that.. because Roger would have never lived that down if he was Pop Lockn' & doing Head Spins;)

#19 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 06:48 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only
most to all Bond films play in the safe zone with music ..so they don't sound really dated when you go back and watch them 10 -20 years later..

But TSWLM does have a little disco feel for the instrumental music..  

BUT I'd rather have the music have that.. then Roger disco dancing or in 1985 breakdancing.. :)

thank god they didn't do that.. because Roger would have never lived that down if he was Pop Lockn' & doing Head Spins;)

if roger had done that it might have been a total hoot:)

#20 TonicBH

TonicBH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 10:20 AM

speaking of cheesy music, I've always wanted to hear the "Bond 77" used during the ski chase in the film... from what I've read, the only track from TSWLM's soundtrack that's actually in the film is the title theme!

#21 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:01 AM

All the tracks on the Soundtrack are used in the film

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:32 AM

Originally posted by flares
Please satisfy my curiosity.  Hands up if anyone else loves that cheesy music when Bond and Amasova are at the pyramids presentation with Fekesh.  Its the moment when Jaws appears.  It never ceases to make me crease up!  I just love it to bits.  They way it has dated makes me love it even more.

Now obviously I cannot see you put your hands up, so you'll will have to type it.

Absolutely, I do love that bit of music....

#23 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 02:05 PM

When Roger kicks in those two heavies, the music works so well. A rare treat for Roger, as it actually helped to make his fighting look quite good.

I am in total agreement with your above comment DLibrasnow, that little piece of dated coolness is abso-bloody-marvellous!

#24 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 02:15 PM

:)

#25 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 02:56 PM

Does anyone else notice that the voiceover indirectly refers to Bond and what he is doing at the time (searching Fekkesh's body)? He talks about a 'lone soldier working for his king' or something to that effect. If you didn't, watch it again, it's a brilliant part of the film.

**raises hand** Typical 70s is Jaws' cheesily dramatic entrance. Rather like a bad pantomime. I LOVE it.

By the way, feel free to vote on the poll I'm about to post in General Music discussion in the Blades Martini Lounge!

#26 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 07:48 PM

you know what Roger had another movie with dated type music.. but I think it is a GREAT dated music!! It doesn't come off bad..

AKTAK's Duran Duran.. their title song could be very cheesy.. BUT it is not..

speaking about dated.. in 1973 the story in TMWTGG was considered dated for the longest time.. NOW exactly 20 years later..WE are back in the same problems we had back then

YOU can make the exact movie today.. and it wouldn't be dated

funny how Histroy repeats itself, huh

#27 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 08:40 PM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only

speaking about dated.. in 1973 the story in TMWTGG was considered dated for the longest time.. NOW exactly 20 years later..WE are back in the same problems we had back then

Oh I am not sure anyone has ever considered the story in TMWTGG dated, how could they? One of these days we are going to run out of gasoline!!

#28 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 04:20 AM

yep.. that day is really here! because in about 50 year or less.. we are going to be bone dry!

we better start phasing other fuels in now :)