This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Did Glidrose change their name (and then change it back)?

22 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 11:02 PM

So what is Glidrose calling themselves nowadays? I know a few years ago they changed their official name to "Ian Fleming (Glidrose) Publications" -- and I have a TWINE program for a special "Glidrose" screening in which the company called itself "Flemings" ??? TMWTRT shows "Ian Fleming (Glidrose) Publications" on the copyright page, but now these new Fleming Penguin editions have only "Glidrose" on the copyright page. What's up?

And does Glidrose have an email address or a website? I would love to harass them with these sorts of inane questions personally. :)

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 05:35 AM

Jim (25 May, 2002 05:59 a.m.):

zencat (25 May, 2002 12:02 a.m.):

And does Glidrose have an email address or a website? I would love to harass them with these sorts of inane questions personally. :)

Why not. Their current inane output is harassing me.

Heh, heh. Sadly so true.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 04:03 PM

General Koskov (25 May, 2002 06:35 a.m.):

Heh, heh. Sadly so true.

Sigh. You two need to get a room.

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 04:22 PM

zencat (25 May, 2002 05:19 p.m.):

General Koskov (25 May, 2002 06:35 a.m.):

Heh, heh. Sadly so true.

Sigh. You two need to get a room.

A room with whom? Benson? If so, I wonder who'll come out alive... :)

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 04:59 AM

#6 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 04:39 PM

Room's a bit small. 80,000 seat stadium would probably fit us all in. An incentive to build the new Wembley, at last.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 04:46 PM

So much for the point of this post. Jim, why is it lately whenever I start a topic that has anything to do with the literary Bond you need to turn into a forum for bashing Benson?

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 05:00 PM

The answer to your question is that if skilfully advised, as a corporation tax strategem, Gildrose has probably subdivided into a number of separate companies, all with the same directors but legally individual which the individual companies owning the rights to different books, ergo Gildrose "number 1", or whatever, owns the rights to say half a dozen books, Gildrose "2" another half-dozen etc. Shifts the assets around and minimises exposure to chargeable incidents.

#9 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 05:21 AM

I just had a look at my recently-purchased paperback copy of Never Dream of Dying and the copyright is held by "Ian Fleming Glidrose Publications Ltd." Man, this is all getting complicated. I can just imagine the opening credits for the next Bond film:

Albert R. Broccoli's Eon Productions Ltd.
Presents
PIERCE BROSNAN
as
Ian Fleming Glidrose Publications Ltd.'s
James Bond [007]
in
DIE ANOTHER DAY
An MGM/UA Production of a
Lee Tamahori Film

#10 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 05:03 PM

Jim (25 May, 2002 06:00 p.m.):
The answer to your question is that if skilfully advised, as a corporation tax strategem, Gildrose has probably subdivided into a number of separate companies, all with the same directors but legally individual which the individual companies owning the rights to different books, ergo Gildrose "number 1", or whatever, owns the rights to say half a dozen books, Gildrose "2" another half-dozen etc. Shifts the assets around and minimises exposure to chargeable incidents.

Until 'Number 1' finds out they've seen screwing with finances and electrocutes them.

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 26 May 2002 - 01:36 AM

I don't know anything about Glidrose, and until recently I thought it was called Gildrose, as Jim seems to want to call them. :)

Tells you how much I take notice of the copywrite page of the Bond novels.

#12 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 01:42 AM

^^^^ Same here! 'Glid' sounds strange after pronouncing it wrongly for so long. Does anyone know where the name comes from?

#13 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 26 May 2002 - 01:54 AM

General Koskov (26 May, 2002 02:42 a.m.):
^^^^ Same here! 'Glid' sounds strange after pronouncing it wrongly for so long. Does anyone know where the name comes from?

This was discussed fairly recently, I think. Lawyers picked the name from a short list of names for shelf companies.

Love to know what the other choices were.

#14 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 03:56 AM

Blofeld's Cat (26 May, 2002 02:54 a.m.):
This was discussed fairly recently, I think. Lawyers picked the name from a short list of names for shelf companies.

I believe that was the explanation for Eon, not Glidrose. I have read an explaination for the name Glidrose in some reference book, but for the life of me I can not remember which one.

#15 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 06:22 AM

Blofeld's Cat (26 May, 2002 02:36 a.m.):
I don't know anything about Glidrose, and until recently I thought it was called Gildrose, as Jim seems to want to call them. :)

Persistent typing error, sorry. Although it may be a repressed memory, because until about eight years ago, I did think it was Gildrose. Probably because in my youth I thought it sounded better.

I could call them much worse than Gildrose.

Maybe it's when I'm childish, I revert to being childlike.

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 08:01 AM

Jim (26 May, 2002 07:58 a.m.):

Blofeld's Cat (26 May, 2002 02:36 a.m.):

Persistent typing error, sorry. Although it may be a repressed memory, because until about eight years ago, I did think it was Gildrose. Probably because in my youth I thought it sounded better.

I do the exact same thing. In fact, everytime I do a Glidrose related post I have to pop open a book and check. I can never seem to remember if it Glid or Gild.

#17 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 05:22 PM

With Gildrose, I thought that it referred to the golden typewriter Fleming used. ButGlidrose? What the hell does that refer to? Is Glid a word?

#18 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 10:01 PM

General Koskov (26 May, 2002 06:22 p.m.):
With Gildrose, I thought that it referred to the golden typewriter Fleming used. ButGlidrose? What the hell does that refer to? Is Glid a word?

I just looked this up in Andrew Lycett's biography of Ian Fleming. Fleming's accountant suggested he purchase a company and sell the rights to his novels to that very same company in order to increase the value of his earnings. With that in mind Fleming bought a small theatrical agency called Glidrose Productions (named after its two principals John Gliddon and Norman Rose) and transformed it into Glidrose Publications Ltd., with himself and his wife as co-directors. Fleming owning 999 shares in the company and his wife Anne owned one.

#19 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 12:07 AM

Interesting. I wonder what happened to the theatre company? They couldn't act, and got parts as Stacey Sutton and Dr Jones? :)

#20 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 01:08 AM

Mister Asterix (26 May, 2002 04:56 a.m.):

Blofeld's Cat (26 May, 2002 02:54 a.m.):

I believe that was the explanation for Eon, not Glidrose.

Of course! My mistake.

Another penny for The [cuss] -Up Jar in the Club House. :)

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 06:18 AM

Hardyboy (26 May, 2002 11:01 p.m.):
I just looked this up in Andrew Lycett's biography of Ian Fleming.  Fleming's accountant suggested he purchase a company and sell the rights to his novels to that very same company in order to increase the value of his earnings.  With that in mind Fleming bought a small theatrical agency called Glidrose Productions (named after its two principals John Gliddon and Norman Rose) and transformed it into Glidrose Publications Ltd., with himself and his wife as co-directors.  Fleming owning 999 shares in the company and his wife Anne owned one.

Interesting. I never knew this. Thanks for the info., Hardyboy. :)

#22 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 06:02 PM

zencat (27 May, 2002 07:18 a.m.):
Interesting. I never knew this. Thanks for the info., Hardyboy. :)

My pleasure. . .this is what academics do on their summer vacations: dig up whatever info they can find.

#23 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 05:34 AM

I too noticed the Ian Fleming added to Glidrose, but possibly the name hasn't changed, but just been written differently at different times, like saying EON productions or Albert R. Broccoli's EON Productions LTD.
like an official long form and a short form that's more commonly used....