54 replies to this topic

#31 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

Not to throw cold water on this, but reading the BBC piece closely, I see Charlie is really just saying he's discussing the "possibility" of a YB series 2.

Erm, yep. Just as has already been mentioned on this thread.

Sorry Loomy. I actually didn't read the thread. I saw the article and shoot over hear and commented.

That's alright, zenmeister. Understood. I'd have done the same thing in your position. :tup:

Was actually hoping I'd surprise and delight you with this thread, if not give you a heart attack (in a good way, I mean - don't want you to die :tup: ). I think this is the first bit of big news I've ever broken on CBn, so I'm feeling quite pleased with myself. :(

To say it again, though, for the benefit of other people who are just skimming - nothing's official or nailed down, and in any case it looks as though Higson's gonna be busy on other stuff for quite a while yet.

Just guessing here, but perhaps his Young Bond 2 series may start in 2012, the 50th anniversary year of the Eon films. I hope it'll be sooner than that, of course, but at the very least it doesn't look as though it's something that'll be happening immediately, unfortunately.

#32 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

Was actually hoping I'd surprise and delight you with this thread, if not give you a heart attack (in a good way, I mean - don't want you to die :tup: ). I think this is the first bit of big news I've ever broken on CBn, so I'm feeling quite pleased with myself. :tup:

Dang! Wish I would have come to CBn first. For some reason, I started my browsing day with a Charlie Higson Google search just in case, well, something like this was waiting there. :(

#33 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

...But Young Bond fans shouldn’t pop the champagne corks just yet. The Young Bond Dossier can confirm that Ian Fleming Publications have not commissioned any further Young Bond novels and are currently concentrating on the centenary year, which includes By Royal Command and the SilverFin graphic novel. So, at the moment, a Young Bond Series II is just a beautiful dream.

Well we've all suspected they were going to continue. It really isn't news, but here's a good indicator that Charlie is seriously considering doing it himself and that he's thought about it and what may happen. Commissioning seems to be a non-factor. If Higson wants to do it, I have no doubt they'll let him. It's been successful enough, thus far.

#34 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:11 PM

I've been advocating the WW2 angle for a long time. I hope he goes for it. I mean, I have nothing against Young Bond, I love the series as it is right now, but I'd rather it go into WW2 where Bond's a little older and where what he's doing is a little more believable. Plus I think it opens up all sorts of avenues.

Yeah- even the quick glimpse of a pre-Fleming Bond in the war at the end of Double of Die felt nicely different.

#35 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:39 PM

In fact it would almost be ludicrously ignorant if IFP didn't go further down a road that has proven so far extremely successful and on top of it has had critics, readers and many hard-core Fleming-enthusiasts calling for more.

The Young Bond series has been a daring move that might have flopped on all levels, literary, economically and last not least in terms of the damage that the frenchise might have suffered. Instead, it has turned out a vastly entertaining series that has conquered its own field of the book market. This spectacular success is the merit of Charlie Higson and it would only be natural to let him explore the further adventures of a grown and more mature Bond. I'm really hoping this idea takes off in the future. Even if it's some years in the future any new entry in the series would be welcome. :tup:

#36 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:21 PM

Well said Trident.

#37 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:20 AM

Well, at least he has expressed an interest in continuing the series. He must have enjoyed writing them.

#38 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:03 AM

Well, at least he has expressed an interest in continuing the series. He must have enjoyed writing them.

Which should be a condition sine qua non. I don't know about Benson but it's plain to see that John Gardner has had a hard time during his last few (some say his last 11) books in the series. The result has turned out as a mixed affair that left many readers underwhelmed and in the end didn't satisfy neither Gardner nor Glidrose. It seems that Higson is far more comfortable with Bond's world and has settled firmly into his own nich

#39 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:49 AM

[quote name='Trident' post='864284' date='25 April 2008 - 08:03'][quote name='sharpshooter' post='864214' date='25 April 2008 - 03:20']Well, at least he has expressed an interest in continuing the series. He must have enjoyed writing them.[/quote]

Which should be a condition sine qua non. I don't know about Benson but it's plain to see that John Gardner has had a hard time during his last few (some say his last 11) books in the series. The result has turned out as a mixed affair that left many readers underwhelmed and in the end didn't satisfy neither Gardner nor Glidrose. It seems that Higson is far more comfortable with Bond's world and has settled firmly into his own nich

#40 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

Check out this from a Q&A on the Waterstones website. Not that it confirms anything, but it certainly shows Charlie has a clear idea of the next phase of Bond's life.

Q: . So, where does he go from here?

A: Well, first of all to a new school - Fettes, in Scotland (that's not a spoiler, anyone who has read the adult Bond books knows the story). But the big thing looming on his horizon is the second world war. The events of By Royal Command take place in 1934 so the war is only 5 years away. Bond will be 19 when war breaks out, and we know that he went into naval intelligence - MI6 - and worked as an agent overseas. I think it would be really interesting to find out more about his early wartime experiences, his training in Scotland, his 1st missions, his gaining the 00 status. That would be a fun job for a writer.

#41 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:46 AM

Check out this from a Q&A on the Waterstones website. Not that it confirms anything, but it certainly shows Charlie has a clear idea of the next phase of Bond's life.

Q: . So, where does he go from here?

A: Well, first of all to a new school - Fettes, in Scotland (that's not a spoiler, anyone who has read the adult Bond books knows the story). But the big thing looming on his horizon is the second world war. The events of By Royal Command take place in 1934 so the war is only 5 years away. Bond will be 19 when war breaks out, and we know that he went into naval intelligence - MI6 - and worked as an agent overseas. I think it would be really interesting to find out more about his early wartime experiences, his training in Scotland, his 1st missions, his gaining the 00 status. That would be a fun job for a writer.

Well, definitely reads as if Higson is a CBner and has been around the threads regarding our wishlist for some time. Now just let's hope he will also be the one to deliver our goodies. Still, I guess it will take some time as his three-book-deal will surely have priority. Unless IFP has already taken somebody else on board, which I don't hope; not for this project. Higson is the man where Young Bond is concerned in my opinion.

#42 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:12 AM

is the man where Young Bond is concerned in my opinion.

Without a doubt. He has proven himself now, and I'd want no one else except him to do a continuation.

#43 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:14 AM

is the man where Young Bond is concerned in my opinion.

Without a doubt. He has proven himself now, and I'd want no one else except him to do a continuation.

Exactly what I think. Only thing that makes me hesitate is his own new series. That will keep him occupied for how long? Three to four years? At the minimum, I should think. And most likely with an option to extend the contract should his creation hit as hard as YB. Therefore I'm not sure if IFP will want to wait that long to raise its next child. YB is hot at the moment and will continue to do well above the market for some time. But a gap of four to five years may see an entirely different situation.

My private hope would be that Higson is already well into his new series and has already finished a third of his work, i.e. one novel. But as the publishing business seems to run these days, it's far more likely that he has only penned a rough overview of his ideas, or maybe an expos

#44 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:22 PM

Some good stuff here, courtesy of zencat's site.

Tell us about your new and fifth book, By Royal Command.
When I was initially asked by the Ian Fleming estate to write the books, they said they wanted five. I looked back and read all of Fleming’s books and tried to find out about Bond’s childhood. There is very little apart from in You Only Live Twice, Bond goes missing and they think he’s dead so an obituary is written about him. It’s the only time Fleming gives any details about the young Bond. So this is what I based my books on. One of the facts in the obituary is that Bond attends Eton. Another fact is that Bond gets thrown out of Eton after two terms. So I knew I couldn’t fit five books worth of action and adventure into six months. I worked out the plot for book five before I started the first one so that I knew where everything was leading and also so I could deal with Bond being at Eton for longer than two terms.

You said you would only write five books in the Young Bond series, so is this the end for Young James? What happens now?
I’m going to take a little break. The book does end with him leaving Eton and it’s very much the conclusion to this part of his life. I wanted to start him off as an ordinary boy and then through the course of five books we see him getting tougher. At the end of the fifth book we see him poised, ready to start on the next stage of his life. I want to get my head clear of James Bond for a bit as it’s taken over my life for the last five years. I would love to write some more Bond books, there’s so much more to write about.
I’m going to write a second series of action adventure books about my own character for Puffin so the first one of those will be out next year. I don’t know what it’s called yet, titles always seem to come at the last minute!

If you could rewrite the books all over again, what would you change?
Nothing! You could go back and look at anything in your life and do it completely differently. The books have been very popular, I’m not saying they’re perfect but I’m very fond of them all.

What a legend. I totally see Charlie Higson as the Roger Moore of the literary 007; nothing but grace and respect for the Bond legacy.

#45 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:38 PM

I firmly believe we'll be reading more Charlie Higson James Bond novels (young or otherwise) in the future. He says he'd like to do more. IFP clearly loves him. His books have been mega bestsellers. He's a star in his own right who does a masterful job selling the books... Unless Charlie changes his mind and swears off Bond, it's inconceivable to me that he won't be back.

#46 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:43 PM

:(

When and where did you hear that interview, ms minniespinney? I've seen Charlie several times, have interviewed him, and have talked to him casually, and that doesn't sound anything like Charlie Higson to me (although I can certainly understand how he'd want a break).

#47 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:00 PM

What a legend. I totally see Charlie Higson as the Roger Moore of the literary 007; nothing but grace and respect for the Bond legacy.

I don't see that at all. Roger Moore could not have cared less about the legacy of Bond. He thought the role was a joke and treated it thus. No I think Charlie Higson really cares, and more importantly understands, so I think he really should continue.

#48 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:11 PM

Hey, ms minniespinney, you just came and went without posting. Certainly you can tell me where you saw Charlie interviewed?

#49 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:00 AM

Speaking of Charlie...

This much I know

#50 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:03 AM

Gee, from what I've seen and heard, that doesn't sound like Charlie to me, ms minniespinney. And nice interview link there, zencat. :(

#51 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

That really doesn't sound like Higson one bit, what's your source ms minniespinney?

#52 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:04 PM

Maybe ms minniespinney made a mistake. She actually saw Sean Connery. :(

#53 Sylvia Trench

Sylvia Trench

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:12 PM

I think perhaps ms Minniespinney misunderstood Higson's self-deprecating humour. Maybe he didn't spot that he was trying to be funny at all! I think the posting is perhaps in reference to a second event Charlie did at the Edinburgh literary festival with Ben Macintyre, which was for adults. I was at the event, which was very entertaining. The two Bond authors were chatting informally about their involvement with Bond - the highs and lows. Charlie definitely said he would be be taking a break from Bond for a while, and that his life had been somewhat taken over by Bond lately, but he certainly wasn't complaining. He also said that the future of Bond didn't lay in his hands, it was up to IFP to decide what they want to do next. Charlie didn't once complain about signing books for kids. if he didn't want to sign books he wouldn't do so many events. His love of all things Bond came through very strongly - and he happily stayed behind afterwards to sign books and chat to Bond fans - despite having already spent 2 hours singing books after another event earlier in the day. Apparently he had even flown back form his family holiday just to do the event. This is not the behaviour of someone who doesn't care, or is cynical about the whole thing. As the event was for a more mature audience Charlie was speaking more candidly about stuff, and, as I say, was trying to to make the audience laugh. Literary events can be sometimes quite dry and dull. Perhaps Mjnniespinney is an American who doesn't get British humour? Or perhaps a younger person who could have missed some of the subtleties of what was being discussed. I don't mean to diss Minnispinney at all, but I interpreted what Higson said in a completely different way. if Higson's sole motive was to make money, surely he would just sign on straight away for another ten books rather than take a breather for a while.

#54 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:49 PM

I think you make very good points, Sylvia. ms Minniespinney sent me a nice PM and explained it was indeed at the Edinburgh adult event that she saw Charlie.

But I can also understand how Charlie might actually have these feelings. He's gotta be dog tired after writing 5 books in 4 years, and when he does signings, he doesn't just bang out the signatures. Anyone will tell you he takes a moment and talks to each kid, takes pictures, etc. And then, when it's all over, the store wheels over its entire stock of YB books and Charlie signs them all. And, remember, he also has to sign those 1500 limited editions, the 1000 boxed editions...yes, he must be sick of it!

Charlie is a big star outside of Bond and mega success within, he could very easily not do any of these things (like that Faulks feller). He clearly cares.

#55 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:47 PM

I too have met Charlie many times and he is always ready to discuss and sign books. The best after the Imperial War Museum lecture. He does have a very self deprecating sense of humour. Maybe that was misunderstood. But the man is a true star and an all round good bloke.