8 replies to this topic

#1 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:11 AM

I was watching CR for the third time today and when I got to the part where Bond was slipped digitalis, I watched the man giving him medical advice and wondered is he supposed to be MI-6 doctor Sir James Maloney? I didn't think of it before but watching it now it all made sense.

#2 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:35 AM

Good question.

My concern about this scene has always been in the science of it. The analysis supposedly done on the poison by MI6 would have had to have been chemical, meaning that Bond's car would have had to have included interactive amounts of numerous, controlled liquids to be introduced to the sample in order to ascertain its identity. This would have made the DBS even more far-fetched than the Vanquish.

Now that is a Q-car!

#3 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:26 PM

I was watching CR for the third time today and when I got to the part where Bond was slipped digitalis, I watched the man giving him medical advice and wondered is he supposed to be MI-6 doctor Sir James Maloney? I didn't think of it before but watching it now it all made sense.

I don't think so, because Sir James Moloney is supposed to be a shrink :tup:
But I share Dell Deaton's doubts about the credibility of the car's role in this scene. Too far fetched, they should have come up with a more simple way of handling this.

#4 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:33 PM

... they should have come up with a more simple way of handling this.

My guess is that this snag came from "Q envy." They didn't want to have a Q, but couldn't do w/out that aspect of the James Bond mythos.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:41 PM

Good question.

My concern about this scene has always been in the science of it. The analysis supposedly done on the poison by MI6 would have had to have been chemical, meaning that Bond's car would have had to have included interactive amounts of numerous, controlled liquids to be introduced to the sample in order to ascertain its identity. This would have made the DBS even more far-fetched than the Vanquish.

Now that is a Q-car!

[mra]My impression was that the car only had a drawer where the medical gizmo was housed and that the gizmo interfaced with the bug in Bond

#6 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:53 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' post='863038' date='22 April 2008 - 14:41'][quote name='Dell Deaton' post='863012' date='22 April 2008 - 05:35']Good question.

Now that is a Q-car![/quote]

[mra]My impression was that the car only had a drawer where the medical gizmo was housed and that the gizmo interfaced with the bug in Bond

#7 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:08 PM

In fact, Fleming portrays Sir James Moloney as one of Britain's foremost neurologists. That makes him a physician. It would be a mistake to classify him as a "shrink," even if M did turn to him very often in an effort to diagnose what was going on inside of 007's head.

Edited by MicroGlobeOne, 22 April 2008 - 02:10 PM.

#8 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

I was watching CR for the third time today and when I got to the part where Bond was slipped digitalis, I watched the man giving him medical advice and wondered is he supposed to be MI-6 doctor Sir James Molony? I didn't think of it before but watching it now it all made sense.

But I share Dell Deaton's doubts about the credibility of the car's role in this scene. Too far fetched, they should have come up with a more simple way of handling this.

In Doctor No; M states that Sir James 'would be doing his rounds at St Mary's about now' Then Sir James goes on to tell M that Bond is 'physically fit as fiddle' and later he goes on to explain the effects of tetrodotoxin that Rosa Klebb had on the spike in her shoe. Not really a psychiatrists area of expertise. My feeling was that Sir James was the 'company doctor' if he needed to send an agent to specıalıst he would, but he oversaw the case.

#9 OO4

OO4

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:26 PM

I'd have to rewatch the scene. But I remember thinking that they were just reacting to the symptoms and that Bond had probably gone into SVT and he needed to hit his heart with a shock to throw it into a stable rythm before his pressure dropped too low.... could be wrong though....