This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Does James Bond ever say "I love you" in the novels?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 03:52 PM

One of my weak areas in Bond-dom is the novels...so I am going to ask those who have read the novels, does James Bond ever utter the words "I love you"?

Does he in fact same them in "OHMSS?" Does he say them elsewhere?

I am just curious...and trying quickly to surmount the three-hundred and seven posts that are between me and the FDC.

-- Xenobia

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 07:34 AM

Bond pretty much falls in "love" in all the later Gardner books and then, as RossMan pointed out, she dies. In Death Is Forever he falls in love and she dies on the next page.

Not sure if he ever says the words, however.

#3 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 04:00 PM

I believe he does in fact say it in OHMSS, but I don't have it with me to reference...

#4 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 08:40 PM

Well....it seems that might be a reason for me to continue with my fanfiction after all...correct the mistakes of the past.

Too bad Fleming didn't leave conditions about what Bond could say and or do.

:)

-- Xenobia

#5 James Bond

James Bond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 04:15 PM

Doesn't he say it in You Only Live Twice?
He says it in the movie to Moneypenny.

#6 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 05:10 PM

zencat (13 May, 2002 08:35 a.m.):
Bond pretty much falls in "love" in all the later Gardner books and then, as RossMan pointed out, she dies. In Death Is Forever he falls in love and she dies on the next page.

Not sure if he ever says the words, however.

Straight from "Death Is Forever".... read it and get queasy...

"You know, I didn't expect to fall in love, either" He felt his own emotions well up as he realized he meant it, knowing that this was the woman for him. "But I did fall in love with you, Easy-- funny little toughie that you are. It's only really happenned once or twice in my life."

GAG!!!!!! They spend about 20 pages together in this book, most of which she's being annoyingly incompetent after being introduced as one of the CIA's best, but that turns him on he likes her better incompetent and clingy ... then suddenly out of the blue with no build up he's in love... and even worse as zencat says she's dead by the next page! And a few pages later he's with yet another woman. Cheap manipulative gack.

Then we get to "Cold" and after a couple of hundred pages of being with other women and being tricked and betrayed by one of them AGAIN, the book jumps in time and he's grieving over a broken Freddie who he of course loves when a few pages later he's meeting up with an old girlfriend from yet another earlier book and he's proclaiming his love to her. I wait for him to tell her, you know I love you, really love you, and I've only really felt this way about 7 or 8 women before, maybe 9 if you count....

EEK!

MBE

#7 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 04:57 PM

I can't remember any more times other than Tracy with Fleming's books.

I'm pretty sure he said it to Flicka sometime in the Gardner books she appeared in. And DIF, Bond doesn't actually say it but after the girl is killed he suddenly realizes that he loves her, which is irritating to me.

#8 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 04:10 PM

He comes pretty close in Never Dream Of Dying, I was pretty pleased with Benson being brave enough to alow Bond to fall in love like that.