24 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

I'm a massive fan of Rogers work, I love him in The Saint, The Persuaders and Bond, Obviously. :tup: But... the one thing I really want to see him in is 'The Man Who Haunted Himself', now... I havent seen Roger in a really, really dark role and I'm planning to buy this from Amazon since some of the very few clips I have seen are extremely good. The one thing I want to ask is, is it worth the buy? Because I really want to see Roger in a really dark role, but we all know he has a habit of starting out serious and then turning to comedy. But as I've said.... the clips I have seen are extremely good... "Who on earth are you? who are you?!".... "I'm..... Pellam!". :tup:

#2 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:34 PM

The film is rubbish, don't waste your money. I've only seen it once but I remember it was confusing and boring.

#3 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

I've always wanted to see this film as well. There are a variety of reviews of it on the IMdb. Some say it's a good film, others say it's not so good. There are even some who say although the film itself isn't very good, Roger gives a terrific performance. Perhaps the best solution would be to rent it first to see if you like it.

#4 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

It is a good Sir Roger film as it showcases his acting talents that others have long thought he never had. A simple plot, but it is fun (most of his non-Bond films are his best).

As an added bonus, you will hear him reference "James Bond" and "Her Majesty's Secret Service" in it as at the time he was under consideration for that same film.

I'm a massive fan of Rogers work, I love him in The Saint, The Persuaders and Bond, Obviously. :tup: But... the one thing I really want to see him in is 'The Man Who Haunted Himself', now... I havent seen Roger in a really, really dark role and I'm planning to buy this from Amazon since some of the very few clips I have seen are extremely good. The one thing I want to ask is, is it worth the buy? Because I really want to see Roger in a really dark role, but we all know he has a habit of starting out serious and then turning to comedy. But as I've said.... the clips I have seen are extremely good... "Who on earth are you? who are you?!".... "I'm..... Pellam!". :tup:

#5 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

I really like this film, but part of my fondness may be because I first saw it aged 13 on late night TV with no real expectations. It may be one of those films that are best enjoyed by those that just "discover" them.

#6 Lady Templar

Lady Templar

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:22 PM

This film is a true gem. It's an amazing psychological thriller in which Roger Moore starred as a man who's confronted by his double after a car accident. If I remember well, Roger Moore said it was the only time he was allowed to play ... This movie shows how much he is an excellent actor.

The Man Who Haunted Himself

#7 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for this Lady Templar! Great Clip! :tup:

#8 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:06 PM

This film is a true gem. It's an amazing psychological thriller in which Roger Moore starred as a man who's confronted by his double after a car accident. If I remember well, Roger Moore said it was the only time he was allowed to play ... This movie shows how much he is an excellent actor.

The Man Who Haunted Himself

I'll echo that. It is a terrific film and Roger Moore gives a truly great - and atypical - performance in it.

#9 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

This film I did see...well it seems like a lifetime ago and i remember it just like last week. I would like to see it again because I think it is one of the most memorable films with Roger (not counting the Bond films).

#10 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:17 PM

Couple of good scenes, but imo you'd be ill advised to shell out good money for it.

#11 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

This film I did see...well it seems like a lifetime ago and i remember it just like last week. I would like to see it again because I think it is one of the most memorable films with Roger (not counting the Bond films).

It is, indeed, one of Roger Moore's very best films. But terribly underrated.

#12 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

Dvds are not that expensive so, buy it. If you don't enjoy it, I'm sure one of us Roger fans will gladly take it off your hands.

#13 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:55 PM

I've seen this before. It has its moments. It certainly is a dark film and gives you an idea how Roger might've been had he played Bond less for laughs. The "evil" Pelham has a kind of cruel, Bondian edge to him and the car chase at the end is quite thrilling. I think it's based on an Alfred Hitchcock short story ("The Strange Case of Harold Pelham" or something like that), so Hitchcock is always good.

#14 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:02 PM

It appears as though Righty007 is in the minority here. You people are getting me interested in seeing this. Perhaps I'll head over to Netflix now...

#15 Number 6

Number 6

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6555 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:11 AM

Well I had heard of this movie before years ago but never took the time to check it out. After reading the list of reviews here, it at least warrants a viewing from me.

#16 Mr.B

Mr.B

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:34 PM

I know it's al little bit off-topic, but what's the deal about "The Naked Face"? My grandma's best friend watched it and was totally scared. I never watched. is it really taht frieghtning?

#17 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:05 PM

"The Naked Face". Seen that one too but I just remember the absolutely last scene. Very...surprising. Must check that one out. If I remember right it wasn't bad either. I'm I right?

Edited by Mr Twilight, 30 March 2008 - 01:49 AM.

#18 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:50 AM

I think it's based on an Alfred Hitchcock short story ("The Strange Case of Harold Pelham"

Btw. I didn't know that. In that case there are several connections to James Bond vs. Hitchcock - AH mentioned as directing a Bond movie in the late 50s or early 60s, Sean Connery in Marnie, George Lazenby in Diamonds aren't forever (episode in Alfred Hitchcock present....) and Roger Moore in The Man Who Haunted Himself as mentioned above. Any others?

#19 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:35 AM

After years of searching I FINALLY got around to seeing this. A truly underrated classic. Brilliant performance by Roger and an enjoyable film. Definately one of my favourites. Oh, I made a trailer by the way.

#20 Golden Claw

Golden Claw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Wow, great trailer, Mharkin! I just discovered the existence of this film a few weeks ago and read that Rodge has given probably the best performance of his life. Must watch it then.

#21 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

It is a long time since I last saw it, but I remember it being a good film. It is very much of it's time ( late '60s/early 70's) and an interesting period piece. It is also intriguing to see Roger at his most un-Bond and un-Roger-like. He's a great Bond and a wonderful personality, but, as even he would probably admit, he isn't THE greatest actor in the world. I don't remember him being especially outstanding but neverthless, it is interesting to see him playing against type ( no Saint, Persuaders or Bond heroics here) and being vulnerable and troubled for once.

#22 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

I've seen this before. It has its moments. It certainly is a dark film and gives you an idea how Roger might've been had he played Bond less for laughs. The "evil" Pelham has a kind of cruel, Bondian edge to him and the car chase at the end is quite thrilling. I think it's based on an Alfred Hitchcock short story ("The Strange Case of Harold Pelham" or something like that), so Hitchcock is always good.

Er, no. It's based on the novel "The Strange Case of Mr. Pelham" by Anthony Armstrong. Hitchcock directed an adaptation for his show "Alfred Hitchcock Presents".

"The Naked Face". Seen that one too but I just remember the absolutely last scene. Very...surprising. Must check that one out. If I remember right it wasn't bad either. I'm I right?

I remember it as being awfully mediocre and low budget. Based on a Sidney Sheldon novel. Moore plays a psychiatrist - somebody is killing his patients one by one. David ("Felix Leiter") Hedison appears in the film.

#23 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Have to agree about "The Naked Face." Cheap-looking and pretty lousy overall. It doesn't help that it features two of my least-favorite "stars," Rod Steiger and Elliot Gould.

Roger does his best, but there isn't much there to work with. Towards the end there's a scene where he gets the stuffing kicked out of him like the school nerd being mugged for his lunch money. It upset me at the time because it looked more natural than any fights he "won" as Bond, Templar, etc. Since then it's hung like a specter over those fight scenes and chipped away at my image of him as a screen hero, and even today, after nearly 30 years (and only one viewing), it still won't leave my head.

In other words, if you're a fan (as I am), I'd advise leaving this one unseen.

Edited by David_M, 18 July 2012 - 12:38 PM.

#24 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

Four years since my last post in this thread and I finally managed to track down a copy of the film. The Region 1 DVD has been out of print for some time, and copies on eBay usually end up being anywhere from $30-$60 which is far more than I'd like to spend. Finally, I found a copy for a much more reasonable $15. It came in this morning so I watched it this afternoon.

The film is definitely a gem. It's short running time keeps the pace moving rather quickly, although in some ways I think it should have been longer. Sir Roger's performance is excellent. The plot is simple and it's hardly as confusing of a psychological thriller as some others in the genre, but it's a fun movie. Good score, some lovely leading ladies, and some very fun characters that help keep it moving.

#25 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Great news!

The Man Who Haunted Himself gets Blu-ray update on May 27!