8 replies to this topic

#1 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 11:37 PM

In this paperback novel Bond is sent after a drugs dealer who has killed Bill Tanner and at the end of which, Bond dies.
It has long been debated amongst fans as to whether this is a real novel commissioned bu Glidrose or whether it is simply a self-published fan fiction.

In 'The Bond Files' by Andy Lane and Paul Simpson, they have tended towards the latter explanation due to the reasons:

-The only copies that have ever been seen are paperbacks and on the copyright pages there is no mention of a hardback edition. Every other Bond book, including the two Christopher Wood novelisations, have always been first published in hard back and if this was to be the last novel, where Bond died, then to not have a hardback is unusual.

-The publisher is Charter Books; not well known and in no way linked to Jonathan Cape, the official publisher at the time.

-Guest appearances: Major Anya Amasova and General Gogol. Characters created for the films and in this case constitute a cross-over between written an film Bond which has never been permitted by Glidrose. Unless in the cases of Gardner or Benson where they are too subtle or mistakes.

-In the story Hatfield kills off Tanner, Gogol, Anya and finally Bond. It is "inconceivable that Glidrose would kill off the goose that was laying the golden eggs for them".

Conclusion: Not official or licensed but interesting nonetheless.

Has anybody ever managed to find a copy of this book. I'd definitely be interested in reading it as it's apparantly rather entertaining, considering. I've never seen reviews or any cover art of this.
Does anybody own a copy?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 04:36 AM

Tanger (06 May, 2002 05:27 p.m.):

mccartney007 (06 May, 2002 05:14 p.m.):
...I retracted my bid (I had heard an interesting story about the seller that made me think twice about buying it)...

Care to share that story with us? :)

I remember I was a little nervous about the transaction. Very short, curt emails from the seller. I asked him where he found the book. No answer. I felt like I was gambling sending him my money...but it paid off. I've often wondered if it was Hatfield himself (or a proxy).

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 12:34 AM

Tanger (06 May, 2002 01:14 a.m.):
Is it honestly true that Hatfield committed suicide because of that article? I'd be a shame if that was true, especially for the writer. Imagine the guilt they'd have.

I wouldn't feel guilt. The man killed himself because he was a sick man.

Tanger (06 May, 2002 01:14 a.m.):
I'd very much like to read this it certainly sounds superb. Is there still going to be a Project to get it online? Perhaps in the future of the lietrary section?....

If someone can find one of the xerox copies of the book, I'd still be interested in attempting to get the book somewhere online. Zencat rightfully does not want it to be his copy of the book published online as he does not want to anger Glidrose or Eon.

#4 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 04:14 PM

I own a zerox copy of the novel. In fact, zencat and I were competing bidders on "The Killing Zone!" If I hadn't retracted my bid (I had heard an interesting story about the seller that made me think twice about buying it), I would probably be the one who owns it.

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 04:27 PM

mccartney007 (06 May, 2002 05:14 p.m.):
...I retracted my bid (I had heard an interesting story about the seller that made me think twice about buying it)...

Care to share that story with us? :)

#6 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 03:00 AM

I think in another post I jokingly referred to 'Per Fine Ounce' when I meant 'The Killing Zone'. If you visit 007Forever, you'll see about PFO, and it's closeness to being a Fleming book!

TKZ seems like Licence to Kill, eh? I'd like to get my hands on a copy, but I don't really care.

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 11:55 PM

Zencat owns one of two known copies of this bootleg book. It was self-published by the author. If you look through the old posts in the literary board you should find a couple of topics about it. Also 007Forever.com has a fairly complete article about it.

#8 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 12:01 AM

Yeah I just popped into the Literature General section and found two long topics there with very much more detail than this about the book. I swear they weren't there when I checked.
Anyway..how come only two editions were published?
The way Lane and Simpson talk about it, is as if it's been reprinted many times over.

#9 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 12:14 AM

Mister Asterix (06 May, 2002 12:55 a.m.):
007Forever.com has a fairly complete article about it.

Is it honestly true that Hatfield committed suicide because of that article? I'd be a shame if that was true, especially for the writer. Imagine the guilt they'd have.

I'd very much like to read this it certainly sounds superb. Is there still going to be a Project to get it online? Perhaps in the future of the lietrary section?....