23 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 06:00 PM

I'm so impressed by what I'm seeing in the 2nd teaser I think MGM should offer Lee Tamahori a sweetheart deal and get him locked into BOND 21 now. This different director per film thing has been very hit and miss for Eon and when you get a winner you stick with him. MGM should make Tamahori a deal in which he can make his own film between Bonds, no interference from the studio, if he commits to more Bonds. I fear when DAD opens Tamahori is going to be super-hot (and suddenly expensive) and another studio will nab him with a better deal, as happened with Martin Campbell.

But MGM has historically been very short sided (and cheap) when it comes to this sort of thing.

#2 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 06:33 PM

How do we know they havent already thought about what you said, and have done it? Its very possible, though based on the one director per film thing, I wont be surprised if they get someone else for the next film.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 11:28 PM

How do we know they haven't done that?

It's MGM.

#4 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 11:40 PM

Originally posted by zencat
How do we know they haven't done that?

It's MGM.

Hehehehhehe, I had a good laugh from reading that :)

And its very very true :)

#5 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 11:48 PM

I agree Zencat. This one director per film thing is starting to get annoying. They should grab hold of him and not let go he may be the one to modernise Bond further, without taking away all the qualities.
Bond is facing some tuff competition this year, but it looks like Bond may take the crown.

#6 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 11:54 PM

I'm with you John I thought the same myself earlier while I was chatting to someone in the gym. He said he thought although TWINE was pretty good it was a bit lacklustre. I convinced him DAD was a different kettle of fish, and Tamahori looks to have done a quality job. I would love to have a director we know will produce something like this again.

#7 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, I'm with John. Why did Roger Moore have 3 different directors in 7 films and Brosnan 4 different directors in 4 films? We need some continuity, we need Tamahori. (Well, after all we've seen so far :))

My final decission will be made after I've been to Die Another Day :)

#8 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 02:41 AM

would be nice to let one director do more than one film....

#9 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 06:40 AM

considering the first 16 films were made by only five different directors, having had four different directors in a row seems quite ridiculous.

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 07:50 AM

I completely agree! Tamahori has a very good direction, and those of the crew whom I'm lucky enough to have talked with have had nothing but praise for the man. I say sign him up now and try and sign up David Tattersall as the DOP again!

#11 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 08:21 AM

OK, film unseen, just going on the teaser trailer, and Tamhori in the press and the way the cast and crew talk about him, sign him up! :) And yes Tattersall too b/c what I've seen of the film just looks visually breathtaking.

As for the change in directors, didn't they try and get Campbell back for TND but he turned them down. No one wanted Spottiswood again after that difficult shoot and then some complained Apted seemed overwhelmed by the scope of Bond and out of his element when it came to action. So it wasn't as if before they had this GREAT director that everyone wanted back but they decided to pass and find another.

But if DAD fulfills it's promise I say they latch on to Tamahori b/c with the producer's insistence on getting non A-level directors who won't demand final cut it's harder to find a director of the right caliber to do a Bond film. If they find one in Tamahori, then they should by all means hold on to him and also get some continuity for the series behind the camera.

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 08:42 AM

Glad to see you agree about Tattersall MBE :) While the film looks great visually, not all of that is Tamahori (but no doubt he has some influence). Tattersall has obviously done some great work, it's so obvious in the trailre!

#13 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 03:28 PM

I happen to agree with everyone on this. Tamahori and Tattersal are a good team, and MGM needs to grab them again now while they still can. And if they can't I personally think they should give Vic a chance at the helm.

#14 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 03:34 PM

Tattersal's a great DP, they should definitely ask him back...

#15 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 04:08 PM

Well, I'm happy they didn't get Martin Campbell back :)

#16 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 05:22 PM

Am I right in thinking that it is nothing to do with MGM but Eon, who have to do the signing?

MGM may whine about the odd girl here and there, and even market others here and there. Surely they can only offer approval or disapproval for the director but ultimately it is Eon who say that they're going with such and such a director.

I'm all for having a crack at MGM where necessary but on this occasion, let us see what Eon proposes to do about this.

#17 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 11:43 PM

I felt Apted would have gotten better if given the chance, it might have taken a few films though. If Tamahori wants to come back, then I say by all means, get him!

Oh yeah, and Tattersall too! :)

#18 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 08:28 AM

well i wouldnt want to put up with a few mediocre films just so apted could improve. although i still like TWINE, dumpin him and bringin in Tamahori was definetly the way to go

#19 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 11:46 AM

Tamahori looks like he's the man to bring Bond back into business! Man that stuff is amazing, but I think other elements are nessecary. While the director can give the film style,you really need the scriptwriters. Purvis & Wade should become the team that becomes the "Maibaum" of the new era.

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Simon
Am I right in thinking that it is nothing to do with MGM but Eon, who have to do the signing?

MGM is the one who pays the bills so they have everything to do with it. Eon can say, "We'd like Tamahori back," but MGM has to agree and make Tamahori an attractive deal. Remember, MGM and Eon are 50/50 owners in Bond and choice of director is not something a studio let's a producer decide alone.

#21 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 06:25 PM

Does anyone remember what Tamahori said about returning? I thought he had said it was unlikely or wasn't going to happen.

From the looks of the film so far, I agree with most everyone about Tamahori and Tattersall.

Dave

#22 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 07:05 PM

I haven't read any interview with Tamahori where he mentions returning postively or negatively. It's probably too early to think about for him as he's still doing DAD in post-production. Think about it, if the next Bond comes out in 2 years, it would start filming Jan 2004 and pre-production would start months before that, which would mean Tamahori couldn't do another film in the interim unless it was a small film requiring little pre and post production time. If he's "hot" after DAD he might want to do something different. That's one of the reasons Campbell didn't come back after GE.

#23 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 10:11 PM

Actually, I think Tamahori could fit a film in between Die Another Day and Bond 21. For all we know, he's already optioned a script and could have producers working on a casting process. That would give him 2003 to film (few films take up a whole year like Bond).

#24 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 06:58 PM

Well, Tamahori will soon be reteaming with Halle Berry, according to a site I just looked at: they'll soon be starting work on a film (I forget the title) in which Berry will play a woman who helps people build new identities. More info should be on the IMDB if you do a search for Lee Tamahori.