71 replies to this topic

#61 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:43 PM

And can we maybe ditch such creative debating as "how old were you when you first read a John Gardner novel"

I see nothing wrong with Bond fans discussing how they first encountered certain Bond novels in the series. The idea isn't just to find out whether someone was 14 or 17 or 58 years old, but to rather to spark some discussion related to the series - thoughts about the book, what others thought about it, etc.

#62 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:28 PM

And can we maybe ditch such creative debating as "how old were you when you first read a John Gardner novel"

I see nothing wrong with Bond fans discussing how they first encountered certain Bond novels in the series. The idea isn't just to find out whether someone was 14 or 17 or 58 years old, but to rather to spark some discussion related to the series - thoughts about the book, what others thought about it, etc.

Fair enough. I just remember one post or thread being 'how old were you when you read one of the Gardner's in paperback...?'. Horses for courses....

#63 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

I've got an idea for the "Forum Games" section. Is it possible to be made so that no posts in that section count towards your post count? I think that would work very well. The game threads could still be kept, and people could still have fun and post nonsense in them, but they would not be able to use them as a way to increase their post count.

I am guilty of posting in that section quite a bit, but never with the intent of just raising my post count. I try to contribute to the forum as much as I can in various other threads.

#64 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:17 AM

Sorry if I'm just being thick here, but why would anyone post just to increase their post count? I can't see why anyone would do that.

#65 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:25 AM

Sorry if I'm just being thick here, but why would anyone post just to increase their post count? I can't see why anyone would do that.

No idea either, but it does happen. Some appear to believe in quantity over quality.

#66 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:16 PM

No idea either, but it does happen. Some appear to believe in quantity over quality.

Well, I'm not saying it's a good reason for firing hundreds of posts on the forum, but with the higher ranks come some "privileges": for instance, you can't add a personal photo to your dossier before 1000 posts, and it seems to me that since I'm over this limit the storage space for the communiqu

#67 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:17 PM

[quote name='MkB' post='849034' date='10 March 2008 - 08:16'][quote name='Jim' post='848909' date='10 March 2008 - 09:25'][quote name='santajosep' post='848908' date='10 March 2008 - 08:17']Sorry if I'm just being thick here, but why would anyone post just to increase their post count? I can't see why anyone would do that.[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, I'm not saying it's a good reason for firing hundreds of posts on the forum, but with the higher ranks come some "privileges": for instance, you can't add a personal photo to your dossier before 1000 posts, and it seems to me that since I'm over this limit the storage space for the communiqu

#68 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:48 PM

[quote name='mccartney007' post='849258' date='11 March 2008 - 00:17'][quote name='MkB' post='849034' date='10 March 2008 - 08:16'][quote name='Jim' post='848909' date='10 March 2008 - 09:25'][quote name='santajosep' post='848908' date='10 March 2008 - 08:17']Sorry if I'm just being thick here, but why would anyone post just to increase their post count? I can't see why anyone would do that.[/quote]

[/quote]

#69 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:31 AM

[quote name='MkB' post='849269' date='10 March 2008 - 16:48'][quote name='mccartney007' post='849258' date='11 March 2008 - 00:17'][quote name='MkB' post='849034' date='10 March 2008 - 08:16'][quote name='Jim' post='848909' date='10 March 2008 - 09:25'][quote name='santajosep' post='848908' date='10 March 2008 - 08:17']Sorry if I'm just being thick here, but why would anyone post just to increase their post count? I can't see why anyone would do that.[/quote]

[/quote]

#70 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:05 PM

God i'm a newbie and I've been yelled at three times This si the kind of stuff they should post before you join.

grrrr

Sigh oh well

once again i apolgize

#71 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:12 AM

God i'm a newbie and I've been yelled at three times This si the kind of stuff they should post before you join.

grrrr

Sigh oh well

once again i apolgize

Who's "yelled" at you? If there are a few identical threads around the same time, we'll simply close one and link to the other or merge them. It isn't a huge deal, so don't think of it as such. :tup:

The "Search" function can be particularly helpful here.

#72 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Location:A hollowed-out volcano, a submarine, and a moon base.

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:12 AM

I just look at what's been replied to in the last month, and go from there. :tup: