6 replies to this topic

#1 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:09 AM

This 1991 light fare arrived today via my Netflix queue. I remembered having a soft spot for it upon its release. And guess what? i still do! It is truly good old-fashioned nostalgic Hollywood entertainment. Nothing brilliant and yet solid escapism for the child within us all. Campbell is appropriately bland, Connelly is milk-fed dizzy and delicious, Arkin is comically ironic, and Dalton is oh-so AWESOME! This is a film that gets better with age. The period sets and costumes are terrific. I will concede that they do look a little too clean and right out of the scenic shop but that is a minor quibble. Sadly, the DVD is a tad washed out and grainy. THE ROCKETEER deserves the special edition treatment. And on a related note, this has me psyched for the new Indiana Jones movie!

#2 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:29 AM

I loved when this film came out.Though i of course enjoyed Jennifer Connelly more then Timothy Dalton in the film.Afterall i was only 9 & she's still hot!

#3 minder125

minder125

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:01 PM

I loved when this film came out.Though i of course enjoyed Jennifer Connelly more then Timothy Dalton in the film.Afterall i was only 9.

I agree but I was about 20 or 21 when it came out.

#4 R. Dittmar

R. Dittmar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:12 PM

For you young-'uns out there that can't remember the simple joys of sitting around the Victrola and bad-mouthing the Kaiser, I'd like to point out a couple of in-jokes in this movie that you might not be aware of.

Dalton's character in this movie is a very thinly disguised version of Errol Flynn. Allegations flew many years ago that Flynn was a Nazi sympathizer if not outright collaborator. Sinclair

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:13 PM

Oh, I love this film!

Agree, it's needs a special edition DVD.

#6 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:07 AM

I've always enjoyed this film too. I just saw it this week in the discount section of Best Buy. I didn't pick it up because I thought there might have been a special edition out there but looks like I was wrong. Well, looks like I'll just add it to my Netflix que. :tup:

#7 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:48 PM

Quite a good film, I've always enjoyed it. Dalton is splendid and the young Miss Connelly is appropriately fetching. A rather good supporting cast as well.

If you've never seen it, it's definitely worth checking out.