15 replies to this topic

#1 broadshoulder

broadshoulder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

An almost perfect King Phillip of France against O'Tooles Henry II. Beautiful and cruel at the same time. And, yes, that is Anthony Hopkins playing Richard the Lionheart.

http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=CxZdTLa4CWA

They dont make 'em like this anymore

Edited by broadshoulder, 03 February 2008 - 10:47 PM.

#2 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:03 PM

You should have posted this in the Dalton's Private Life thread. :tup:

#3 Milovy

Milovy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:59 AM

Heh.

You know, it's funny but that was a particular moment in time when young actors like Dalton had no squeamishness about playing characters who were gay (or had had gay experiences). Nobody seemed to think it would tarnish their image. Then again, I don't think British actors ever had a problem with that anyway - just American ones seemed to.

#4 puck

puck

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:42 AM

It's still true. Look at Phillip Seymour Hoffman. He won an Oscar for CAPOTE. Outstanding! Also a stage actor and heterosexual. Few actors are good enough to even be considered for these roles.

Edited by puck, 04 February 2008 - 03:43 AM.

#5 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:56 AM

It's still true. Look at Phillip Seymour Hoffman. He won an Oscar for CAPOTE. Outstanding! Also a stage actor and heterosexual. Few actors are good enough to even be considered for these roles.

That just made me think, Phillip Seymour Hoffman could have been a great Le Chiffre, and physically closer to the book.

#6 puck

puck

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:02 AM

That just made me think, Phillip Seymour Hoffman could have been a great Le Chiffre, and physically closer to the book.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman can play anything he wants as far as I'm concerned. Another guy you got to respect. Also unmarried with a kid btw.

#7 Milovy

Milovy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:33 PM

So when is he FINALLY going to play King Lear?

The problem is, he's old enough to play Lear now, but still looks TOO YOUNG!

#8 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:35 AM

Wow... :tup:

He looks young... :tup:

#9 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

So when is he FINALLY going to play King Lear?

I holding my breath in anticipation ... :tup:

#10 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:04 PM

I remember thinking pretty much the same. He would have been a great choice - as long as he could do some sort of (convincing) European accent.

#11 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

I remember thinking pretty much the same. He would have been a great choice - as long as he could do some sort of (convincing) European accent.

I'd imagine PSH is Oliverian in his ability to do any accent on this earth. (Wait...didn't Sir Larry bomb once with a, was it a Brooklyn aggsent?)

#12 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:34 PM

Young Timmy was so cute back then. :tup:

#13 The Breeze

The Breeze

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:11 AM

Wow... :tup:

He looks young... :tup:

He looks younger than I do..and Im 47!

#14 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

An almost perfect King Phillip of France against O'Tooles Henry II. Beautiful and cruel at the same time. And, yes, that is Anthony Hopkins playing Richard the Lionheart.

http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=CxZdTLa4CWA

They dont make 'em like this anymore

The amazing thing about The Lion in Winter - one of my all-time favourite movies and with a fantastic John Barry score - is how well the young Dalton holds his own against the likes of Katherine Hepburn, Peter O'Toole and Anthony Hopkins. I also like him - complete with blond rinse - in Mary, Queen of Scots (another great, and underrated, Barry score).

#15 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:20 PM

5 words: Timothy Dalton is the man :tup:

Posted Image

#16 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:57 PM

The Lion in Winter is one of the greatest movies ever. Next to established actors like Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn we can enjoy two debuting talents like Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton. There is some great witty dialogue, an outstanding John Barry score which benefits the dramatic plot. And wonderful costume and production design. Yes, what a terrific movie.

Edited by O.H.M.S.S., 29 July 2008 - 04:58 PM.