16 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:48 AM

On a mission that leads him to Austria, Italy and South America, Bond discovers that Greene, conspiring to take total control of one of the world’s most important natural resources, is forging a deal with the exiled General Medrano (JOAQUIN COSIO). Using his associates in the organisation, and manipulating his powerful contacts within the CIA and the British government, Greene promises to overthrow the existing regime in a Latin American country, giving the General control of the country in exchange for a seemingly barren piece of land.

In a minefield of treachery, murder and deceit, Bond allies with old friends in a battle to uncover the truth. As he gets closer to finding the man responsible for the betrayal of Vesper, 007 must keep one step ahead of the CIA, the terrorists and even M, to unravel Greene’s sinister plan and stop his organisation.

Okay, so the CIA is involved in Quantum of Solace which means we'll probably see more of Felix Leiter this time around. Does "007 must keep one step ahead of the CIA" give anyone else a Bourne vibe?

We all know Leiter and Bond are both on the "good" side but this quote gives me the feeling that both agents may have conflicting objectives during the course of the film. Therefore I could see them possibly butt heads at some point of the film, making Bond look as if he's a "rogue" agent. Think of the tension between Holly Goodhead and Bond before they slept together. :tup:

Anyone else get the same vibe?

#2 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:38 AM

Perhaps, but I read it as Bond turning to his 'old friends' who he can trust, as he is unsure of who to trust at MI6 and the CIA. This includes even M. Hence the eventual prickly relationship with the two, Bond not sharing information possibly. Bond, Leiter and perhaps Mathis on the job together.

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:41 AM

Think of the tension between Holly Goodhead and Bond before they slept together. :tup:

...and

...Bond, Leiter and perhaps Mathis on the job together.

Your minds are in interesting places today.

The Quantum of Fnarr is high.

#4 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:51 AM

It could be that Felix will not exactly be chummy towards Bond when they meet again...after all, Felix handed over $5 million to Bond in return for the CIA getting Le Chiffre, and all Felix got was a corpse!

#5 Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

Perhaps Felix will be 'the one man Bond can trust' within the CIA.

#6 HawkEye007

HawkEye007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

Perhaps Felix will be 'the one man Bond can trust' within the CIA.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe Leiter will be feeding him info throughout the course of the film and possibly bail him out of a sticky situation or two?

#7 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:53 PM

Sticky, Felix + Bond, what are you guys up to ?

#8 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:03 PM

Remember, that in order to perform the friendship rite, Bond must use a zapper on Leiter.

Just like those two men used their zappers on Mathis, when Bond found himself unable to stand up... that is, before Vesper felt reborn in his lap :tup:

Oh dear lord. This thread is going straight down the gutter.

#9 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:17 PM

Indeed. The Quantum of Filth is plump.

#10 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

It could be that Felix will not exactly be chummy towards Bond when they meet again...after all, Felix handed over $5 million to Bond in return for the CIA getting Le Chiffre, and all Felix got was a corpse!

On the other hand, the CIA were supposed to be tracking Le Chiffre so that they could pick him up for questioning, yet they allowed him to escape from their observation and capture Bond. Therefore I guess Bond won't be too pleased either!

#11 bonds_walther

bonds_walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:56 PM

I admit it'd be interesting to see a Bond vs Felix encounter, with Felix one step behind Bond as the latter crusades towards Greene and his organisation.

On the other hand, I don't think it'll happen - more likely Felix will be Bonds' single 'friend' in the CIA.

#12 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:16 PM

I suspect Felix will be Bond's friend, the guy he thinks he can trust. After all they are meant to build a friendship from now (although this could also happen by Bond gradually converting Leiter to his cause).

#13 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

On the other hand, I don't think it'll happen - more likely Felix will be Bonds' single 'friend' in the CIA.

I think that's the most likely scenario.

#14 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:22 PM

If there is some sort of CIA mole, this could tie in with the recent rumour of the American actor Ben Foster being up for a part...

#15 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:33 PM

If there is some sort of CIA mole, this could tie in with the recent rumour of the American actor Ben Foster being up for a part...

Hmm, I know his people have denied the rumours but that would be sweet.

#16 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:33 PM

I can understand why Felix may be pissed off at Bond but I think the producers know that it would be bloody stupid to turn a fully established ally into a fully fledged villain. It's just mere speculation, the producers wouldn't be that stupid.

#17 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

On the other hand, the CIA were supposed to be tracking Le Chiffre so that they could pick him up for questioning, yet they allowed him to escape from their observation and capture Bond. Therefore I guess Bond won't be too pleased either!

Agreed. I would think that Bond would be the one with less to be happy about in this situation. Either Felix or someone else with the CIA should have been keeping close watch over Le Chiffre until they got him out of Montenegro. Had they done so, none of what happened from the torture sequence through Bond's arrival in Venice would not have happened.