7 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

The HD channel HDNet Movies will be airing a high definition boradcast of the Timothy Dalton movie AGATHA. Interesting the director is also a familiar face to Bond fans.

Rating: PG
Year: 1979
Cast: Dustin Hoffman, Vanessa Redgrave, Timothy Dalton
Director: Michael Apted
Synopsis: Based on actual events, Agatha seeks to uncover the truth behind the author's disappearance for eleven days in 1926.
Run Time: 1:38

Air Dates:
4:30 PM ET / 1:30 PM PT - Sun, Feb 3rd
10:20 AM ET / 7:20 AM PT - Mon, Feb 11th

This was shown on the BBC shortly after Dalton was announced as the new Bond so I remember watching it back in 1986 checking out this "pretender" to the 007 role (I had forgotten that Dalton was Prince Barin in FLASH GORDON at the time).

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:15 AM

Cool, I've always wanted to see this movie. Hope I get HDNet.

#3 minder125

minder125

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:26 AM

I thought this was about the episode of Miss Marple that Dalton was part of which I really enjoyed can't remember the title though. just remember it dealt with a Egypt expedition and a snow storm.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:24 AM

I'd love to see this.

#5 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:21 AM

I thought this was about the episode of Miss Marple that Dalton was part of which I really enjoyed can't remember the title though. just remember it dealt with a Egypt expedition and a snow storm.

That was 'The Sittaford Mystery' . This is completely different and was made several years before Bond.

#6 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:16 AM

I saw this movie a couple of times when it was released. Of course, I didn't know who Timothy Dalton was at the time. It's a highly-speculative exploration of the events leading to the "lost days" in Agatha Christie's life, with a real twist at the end. I wouldn't mind seeing it again myself.

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:28 AM

I saw this movie a couple of times when it was released. Of course, I didn't know who Timothy Dalton was at the time. It's a highly-speculative exploration of the events leading to the "lost days" in Agatha Christie's life, with a real twist at the end. I wouldn't mind seeing it again myself.

Yes, it is highly speculative in its explanation of those "lost days" for Agatha Christie. Dalton plays Christie's husband and I remember he was not exactly the most likebale of characters.

As I mentioned the BBC aired this movie shortly after Dalton was announced as the new James Bond. At the time I was already a big fan of 1980s FLASH GORDON but had not realized it was Dalton playing Prince Barin. So, I watched this movie with the knowledge that the actor on screen was the new 007.

I have my HD DVR set to record the showing. I hope that CBNers have HDNet Movies, that , along with MGM-HD (that loves to show High-Def clips from the Bond movies) should be part of every television providers line-up.

[They can keep Universal-HD though, which has commercials]

#8 Milovy

Milovy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:31 PM

Dalton isn't in it very much: mostly in the beginning, and at the end. Bookending a long stretch where you're forced to believe that Vanessa Redgrave and Dustin Hoffmann would make a great couple. :-)