This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Young Bond 5/From Russia With Love connection?

26 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

So I was reading James Bond The Man And His World by Henry Chancellor last night and I stumbled on a few potential connections to Young Bond 5. First -- and I guess I really should have known this -- as a young man, Fleming traveled and studied French and German in Kitzbuhel, Austria, which we know from Hurricane Gold is a location in Book 5.

Might Higson use some names and characters from Fleming's life? Interesting that it was in Kitzbuhel that Fleming was encouraged to become a writer.

But what I found especially intriguing is a line in From Russia With Love (page 116): "The plane skirted the great eye-tooth of Mont Blanc, a few hundred yards to port, and Bond looked down at the dirty grey elephant's skin of the glaciers and saw himself again, a young man in his teens, with the leading end of the rope round his waist, bracing himself against the top of a rock-chimney on the Aiguilles Rouges and his two companions from the University of Geneva inched up the smooth rock towards him."

A description of a scene we will see in Young Bond 5? We know FRWL is Higgy's favorite Bond book.

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

Interesting Find there Zen :D, nice to see some Bond continuity, in the literary Bond world. :P

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:22 PM

I think there are many many connections to Fleming in the Young Bond books, but I just don't know my Fleming well enough to catch those but the most obvious.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:54 PM

Although, technically, the reference to University of Geneva probably means Bond is recalling a post-Eton part of his life...but this can be fudged. As long as Bond is climbing with U of G students, it's fine.

Wouldn't it be cool if Charlie opened YB5 with this scene and a variation on this Fleming sentence (as he did at the start of SilverFin)?

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:41 PM

I think there are many many connections to Fleming in the Young Bond books, but I just don't know my Fleming well enough to catch those but the most obvious.

Hey, I just discovered a new one. Turns out the name "Manny the Girl" (my fav character from Hurricane Gold) came from a Fleming notebook. Cool.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:22 AM

Hey, I just discovered a new one. Turns out the name "Manny the Girl" (my fav character from Hurricane Gold) came from a Fleming notebook. Cool.

Really? How'd you come across that one, zen?

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:03 AM

Really? How'd you come across that one, zen?

It's in James Bond The Man and His World by Henry Chancellor, a fantastic book that, for some crazy reason, I haven't read until now. In fact, there's loads of nifty little things like this in the book. I'll do a list of all my "discoveries" when I'm finished.

#8 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:41 AM

Great finds, truly. I hope that the sentence from 'From Russia with Love' finds itself in Young Bond 5. It would be a further great connection of the two series, especially with Manny the Girl coming straight from Fleming.

#9 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:46 AM

Great finds, truly. I hope that the sentence from 'From Russia with Love' finds itself in Young Bond 5. It would be a further great connection of the two series, especially with Manny the Girl coming straight from Fleming.

Indeed; it'd be fun for Higson to once again recreate a Fleming moment. :D

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:47 AM

The more I think about it the more I expect Charlie won't do this because I do think Fleming intends Bond's memory here to be from his University of Geneva days, and while it certainly can be fudged (as I've explained), I could imagine Charlie might consider fudging Fleming in this way for something that really isn't critical crossing a line.

The Kitzbuhel connection may be enough of a wink to Fleming here.

#11 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:54 AM

Interesting Zencat... I haven't read the YB novels, but I was asking myself if there is any use made by Charlie Higson of the quite long daydreaming about his childhood holidays by the sea Bond has at the beginning of the OHMSS novel?

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:56 AM

Interesting Zencat... I haven't read the YB novels, but I was asking myself if there is any use made by Charlie Higson of the quite long daydreaming about his childhood holidays by the sea Bond has at the beginning of the OHMSS novel?

Not that I've found. But I do believe that is a pre-Young Bond memory as it involves his parents (and a sand bucket).

I was very excited to find the Fleming connection to Manny the Girl. What else is buried in these books I wonder?

#13 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:00 AM

Not that I've found. But I do believe that is a pre-Young Bond memory as it involves his parents (and a sand bucket).

I was very excited to find the Fleming connection to Manny the Girl. What else is buried in these books I wonder?

Yes, indeed. It must be a Very Young Bond :D

#14 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:02 AM

More Bond than Bond himself! :D

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:43 PM

Confirmation of sorts. While the FRWL scene will not be in YB5 (because, as we said here, it is much later in Bond's life), his university friends will "briefly" appear.

But the more interesting Fleming/YB5 connection is that Hannes Oberhauser will play a role in the book.

#16 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

But the more interesting Fleming/YB5 connection is that Hannes Oberhauser will play a role in the book.

Now THAT is interesting. It's great that Higson is sticking so closely to Fleming's established continuity.

#17 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:01 AM

Confirmation of sorts. While the FRWL scene will not be in YB5 (because, as we said here, it is much later in Bond's life), his university friends will "briefly" appear.

And they do. Bond climbs with two friends from the University of Geneva in the third part of the book. :(

#18 Sylvia Trench

Sylvia Trench

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:49 AM

Have you read anything about the stories Fleming wrote in Kitzbuhel as a young man? Can't remember if they're discussed in the Chancellor book or elsewhere. I think the stories were set in Kitzbuhel. Any connections?

#19 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:57 AM

And they do. Bond climbs with two friends from the University of Geneva in the third part of the book. :(

And, of course, the FRWL passage continues with Fleming speculating how the world-weary Bond in his 30s would be accepted by the - effectiveley - naive teenager...

... and I would suggest that the person Bond has become at this Bond in BRC is far from naive.

A case of Charlie trying to make things fit a little TOO neatly with Fleming?

#20 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:59 AM

I think it would have been nice if he let Fleming do a cameo in the novels.

#21 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:24 PM

Splendid. That's a nice little touch by Charlie that ties it all together.

#22 Sylvia Trench

Sylvia Trench

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:43 PM

the Aiguilles Rouge are in a different part of the Alps. so the incident Bond remembers must be a later expedition with the students than the one in FRWL. Unless he's remembering it wrong? i do that sometimes I must confess. Maybe Bond remembered his youth as being rosier and more carefree than it really was (I also do that sometimes!). But whatever young bond goes though it surely can't compare with the carnage and brutality of the second world war and Bond earning his double 0 status by killing people. Young Bond hasn't killed anyone.

#23 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:02 PM

The incident he remembers in FRWL is not in BRC. As you say, it's a different time frame and mountain range. But I think the idea is the two friends he meets and climbs with in BRC are the same friends from the later FRWL climb.

But whatever young bond goes though it surely can't compare with the carnage and brutality of the second world war and Bond earning his double 0 status by killing people.

I don't know. What he goes through in Hurricane Gold is as brutal as anything he ever goes through in Fleming.

#24 Sylvia Trench

Sylvia Trench

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:06 PM

do you not think that what he does to other people is going to damage him far more than what they do to him?

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:12 PM

do you not think that what he does to other people is going to damage him far more than what they do to him?

Yes. I see your point. There is actually a very good scene in BRC where
Spoiler

#26 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:34 AM

There is actually a very good scene in BRC where

Spoiler

Though Young Bond can't kill, he can do this sort of stuff, nice. Good opportunity for some character development as well.

#27 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:09 AM

Well, he
Spoiler
in the end of the book, he would have too if not for a plot point mentioned earlier in the book