27 replies to this topic

#1 14 20 02

14 20 02

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 06:38 PM

I have seen all the Bond films and i know Connery did quite alot of his stunts such as the train fight scene in FRWL and swimming with the sharks in TB etc. George Lazenby did some of his own stunts such as the fight scenes, Timothy Dalton did in his fights scenes and Pierce Brosnan in the TWINE tunnel with fire shooting after him but when i watch the Roger Moore films it looks like he is always in front of video screen such as the Ski Scenes? :)

So the question is Did Roger Moore do any of his own stunts?

#2 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 06:54 PM

Roger got hurt in Spy Who Loved Me when the chair blew up at the end before he got out of it and he had a few more holes in his bum than he had before. He didn't do a lot of his own stunts. When asked if he did his own stunts, he got that look in his eye and said, "Of course I do my own stunts...I also do my own lying!"

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 07:04 PM

Great line.

#4 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 07:07 PM

Roger actually did a lot of his stunts in Live and Let Die. He had an accident with one of the boats and lost a few teeth, though, so that probably put a damper on his doing many more of his own stunts. Moore is definitely the least convincing of the Bonds in the action department--not that that's a bad thing, folks. People knock Shatner for Captain Kirk, but he had some horribly obvious stunt doubles in his time, too.

#5 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 08:15 PM

Roger claimed that it was actually Britt Ekland and himself running through those pyrotechnics at the end of TMWTGG, when Scaramanga's island explodes. Quite a feat when you consider Moore has been terrified of loud bangs ever since his weapons training in army intelligence.

#6 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 08:37 PM

Well, it seems like he did quite a fw of his fight secens, such as the one near the pyramids in TSWLM. You can't expect Rog to ski backwrads though, and pretend to shoot someone with a ski pole though, surely?

#7 Rod Slater

Rod Slater

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 10:17 PM

As everybody knows Roger isn't a very strong guy (tall but not a strong one)in comparison of other Bond. He was honest saying he didn't made his own stunts,he wasn't a liar.

#8 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 10:22 PM

I'm getting the impression people think I doubt Roger did that stuff in TMWTGG.
Quite the contrary. I admire him for being able to overcome his fear and do it.

#9 Rod Slater

Rod Slater

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 10:36 PM

stop with TMWTGG! Roger didn't make any stunt and it's OK so

#10 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 10:39 PM

I think he did most of his own fight scenes. Although I'm not sure whether he did the croc jumping bit in LALD. From what I hear, the crocs were drugged, but one still caught his or the stuntman's pant leg.

#11 Max Zorin007

Max Zorin007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 10:55 PM

The only thing i saw him do was allow julah jump off of is lower back in the karate school scene.......ive really never seen anything else.

Oh well in avtak when the car looses its end you can cleary see its roger

#12 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 11:03 PM

The crocodile jumping was a stuntman, as it should be, they're much cheaper to replace than the lead actor. :) After listening to Connery talk about the shark mishap during Thunderball I'm surprised the actors do any of this stuff if they can get away with a stuntman doing it instead. :)

#13 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 11:09 PM

He didnt do the stunt in LALD with the crocs. Though he did stand out on that small island with the crocs.

#14 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 29 August 2002 - 11:17 PM

Originally posted by Roebuck
Roger claimed that it was actually Britt Ekland and himself running through those pyrotechnics at the end of TMWTGG, when Scaramanga's island explodes. Quite a feat when you consider Moore has been terrified of loud bangs ever since his weapons training in army intelligence.

Yep. It was actually due to Roger flinching at a loud bang that caused Brit to trip over in that scene. Although you really can't tell, but that's according to the DVD commentary.

#15 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 12:48 AM

Roger didn't do many of his fight scenes, but when it came to his love scenes he was there and so were we...for better and for worse.

#16 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 07:12 AM

Roger did most of his fight scenes, Im sure he didn't do any parts where he was knocked on his :) however. But thats okay, neither does Brosnan, the baths in GE when Bond gets knocked on the floor and Xenia jumps on him and also the part where he's thrown on the table in the same sequence is Brosnan's stunt double.

Roger did however, do the flying part on the hang glider, got to give him points for that.

#17 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 07:58 AM

...but if he had, we would have been deprived The Red Headed Stuntman, an unsung hero of the Bonds.

Someone radiant with with is going to query whether Roger Moore did his own acting.

But it won't be me.

#18 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 06:48 PM

Yes Roger did his own acting...and some might even say it was good acting, and yes, that will be me saying it.

I know he did some of the climbing in the climax of FYEO...but he needed a lot of drugs do it.

Some folks can act, but are not physically inclined. Roger fell into that category. And given what some of the actors have walked away from, injury wise....Moore might have been the smartest of all of them, letting others do his stunts!

-- Xenobia

#19 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 08:02 PM

I used to think it didn't matter whether an actor did their own stunts are not. Jackie Chan has changed that line of thought.

#20 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 08:25 PM

Jackie's a rare case though. Even in Hong Kong, where the likes of Michelle Yeoh regularly do their own stunt work, Chan is considered exceptional. Unfortunately not all actors can have his lifetime of training.
But I agree there's a lot to be said for stars getting involved with the 'physical acting'. Would the rolling boulder scene at the beginning of 'Raiders' have been as effective If Ford hadn't done so much of it himself? And look at the new techniques in 'The Fast and the Furious' that allowed the cast to be involved in action sequences usually too dangerous for anyone but the professional stunt people.

#21 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 01:10 AM

Roebuck is right...Jackie Chan is exceptional on many levels...that man can work even in an incredible amount of physical pain. Not many could or should do that.

Besides....RM did his movies, mostly, in the seventies...what was real about that decade? ;-)

-- Xenobia

#22 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 01:19 AM

Not the safari suit, thats for sure! :)

#23 TheNewBlofeld

TheNewBlofeld

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 12:40 AM

he stuntman in LALD actually owned the farm. Even though the crocs were drugged, he got bit in the leg on one take, and the croc kept his shoe! No major inujuries. The crocowner is also where the villian's namecomes from... Kanaga.

#24 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 02:05 AM

Can we all please get over the Safari suit. Roger could not dictate his wardrobe. It was fashionable then...let's let it go now...thank you.

-- Xenobia

#25 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 02:46 AM

A bit defensive eh? You know I was only kidding :) I dont mind the safari suit actually.

#26 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 03:02 PM

Which bits did Roger Moore do in AVTAK, and which bits was the stuntman?

Was the bit at the end in the shower with Stacey a stuntman? :)

#27 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:36 AM

I'm pretty possitive that the helicopter scene in FYEO was done by Roger, and if I can remember he said on a radio program that it was his most terrifying experience. I haven't seen FYEO in a few years, so if there is anything discussed about that scene on the DVD documentary I would appreciate some input.

#28 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 06:28 AM

Originally posted by 14 20 02
I have seen all the Bond films and i know Connery did quite alot of his stunts such as the train fight scene in FRWL and swimming with the sharks in TB etc. George Lazenby did some of his own stunts such as the fight scenes, Timothy Dalton did in his fights scenes and Pierce Brosnan in the TWINE tunnel with fire shooting after him but when i watch the Roger Moore films it looks like he is always in front of video screen such as the Ski Scenes? :)

So the question is Did Roger Moore do any of his own stunts?

On the Roger 007 DVD's Extra section.. a BUNCH of The Stuntmen said Roger was the best..

I personally saw a bunch of times in Goldfinger where Sean used stunt doubles for "non stunts".. running.. being pushed into walls??

* BUT every 007 does the same amount of stunts the movies wouldn't be insured if they did everything like Jackie Chan:rolleyes:

~ I think Roger gets this rap.. because he is the only actor in 007 movies and NOT.. that respects the stuntmen & actaully admits they do a great job making "him" look good.

BUT you can say that about every Actor ..007 or not!

Watch Arnold's Movie :Commando (made in 1985) You can see his stunt double everywhere!! ..and for stupid non-stunts.. like jumping off a moving car that is going maybe 5 miles per hour?:)

My favorite is the new thing.. the PR Stunt they do for Pierce's 007 movies, they Press Release everytime that he was "hurt doing a stunt".. to make US the public think he is tough & or this movie will be amazing :):rolleyes::)