This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What Rupert Everett has to say about not being Bond...

13 replies to this topic

#1 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 05:18 PM

I should have been James Bond. In fact it is an infringement of my civil rights that I was not James Bond. (But) In my position on the food chain, I just try to take jobs that are good, with good scripts, good fellow actors. Give it a good try.... There's no point saying it's not fair and turning your back and threatening to hold your breath till you die. You've got to stay involved. Taking part is the thing. You've got to go on taking part."

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 05:20 PM

Rupert Everett is an idiot.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 05:46 PM

I agree with zencat. The man should never play Bond. Not because he's gay--I don't have a problem with that--but because he's an idiot. If it wasn't for lunacy, he would have my vote as the next Bond. He met all my qualifications for what it takes to play Bond.

And then he opened his mouth and said something that wasn't on a script and I right there and then crossed him off my list.

#4 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 05:59 PM

Huh. . .a violation of his civil rights? Gads, let's hope Everett doesn't hire a big name American lawyer and sue EON. . .it may be another six years before we see another Bond film!

#5 14 20 02

14 20 02

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 06:22 PM

Doesn't he ever give up! He should stick to playing the villains such as Dr Claw in Inspector Gadget. Bond NO, A villain YES. To me he doesn't look or suit the part of James Bond.

#6 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 06:28 PM

Bond played by a gay actor ? let me laugh !
I have nothing against gay people (one of my cousin is gay), but James bond is the total opposite of what gay represent.

#7 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 06:30 PM

He's an actor, he could play a secret agent that gets the ladies. Notice I didnt say Bond :)

I actually thought he'd make an interesting Bond at one time, but not now, especially not with Hugh Jackman on the horizon.

#8 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 06:34 PM

Originally posted by level007
Bond played by a gay actor ? let me laugh !
I have nothing against gay people (one of my cousin is gay), but James bond is the total opposite of what gay represent.

I disagree. The only reason Rock Hudson would not have made a good James Bond was because he was American. Being gay should have nothing to do with it. As long as the actor plays the role straight (in all sense of the word) I think a great gay actor could do a fine job.

#9 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 07:30 PM

Having Rupert play Bond would be a bombshell! People were snickering when Anne Heche played opposite Harrison Ford in 6 Days, Seven Nights...well, the Rupert thing would make that look like nothing!

#10 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 07:53 PM

As said by Mr *, sexual preference is not an issue on whether an actor will make a good Bond or not. The problem is the public might not accept it, or rather studios fear the public won't accept it, which is why many actors stay in the closet (like Rock Hudson), because it sadly affects the kinds of roles they're offered.

But as regards Mr Everett, he's just a whining twit who's (allegedly) been injected with one too many doses of lamb fetus injections in his face. :) I'm glad he'll never be Bond.

#11 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 08:26 PM

Originally posted by level007
James bond is the total opposite of what gay represent.

I'm sure there's an interesting debate to be had about the homophobia in the Bond books, and whether Fleming wasn't protesting just a little too much? (Obviously, not one for this thread though.)

#12 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 01:32 AM

Originally posted by Mourning Becomes Electra
As said by Mr *, sexual preference is not an issue on whether an actor will make a good Bond or not.  The problem is the public might not accept it, or rather studios fear the public won't accept it, which is why many actors stay in the closet (like Rock Hudson), because it sadly affects the kinds of roles they're offered.

But as regards Mr Everett, he's just a whining twit who's (allegedly) been injected with one too many doses of lamb fetus injections in his face.  :)  I'm glad he'll never be Bond.

I agree.

Everett opening his mouth aside, he would never work as Bond because of the times we live in. I'm sure after Rock Hudson came out that people started to look at his old movies differently rather than accepting he was an actor playing a part. We the fans could accept Everett as Bond, the general audience never could. It's sad, but couldn't you just imagine if Everett was Bond now. The people who think XXX was an updated Bond film would never let the series live it down. Then we'd be back where we were a decade ago.

I thought Everett was a fine actor films like The Company of Strangers, but his attitude is also a reflection of the times -- I can't have this so I'll whine about it publically.

#13 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 08:48 PM

I have nothing against RE being gay, but I just can't imagine him being suave, sofistiacted Bond, in his tux, playing baccarat, sorry. Prehaps he could play a henchman, or the main vilian, but Bond? No.

#14 HUNTER C.

HUNTER C.

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 10:49 PM

At one time I did consider him playing Bond. When I found out he was gay it got me worried of how it would effect the series if he became Brosnan's successor. Anyhow, the thing that got him off my lists was when he was proposing a script where James Bond would be gay. *Choke, cough* WHAT?! I'm sorry, but take that **** elsewhere! Try another franchaise who will do anything for a change to bring controversey but for God sakes not Bond! And, if he's gonna be so pushy on these ideas then I for sure would dread the day he'd take over the role.