4 replies to this topic

#1 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 05:08 AM

I found this book in my college library Monday and just had to check it out (pun intended). The book is over 800 pages if you include the index, and from what I read, it's interesting to read about the start of MI6 which gave birth to 007. It mentions Bond quite a bit in the book and really made me look on how secret SIS really is. I would recommend this for those interested, because it's a heavy one, really heavy.

#2 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 02:22 PM

I found it funny how during the last portion of the book, they had to hide some code words due to legal reasons. That just seemed really awesome to me.

#3 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 09:48 AM

walther (17 Jan, 2002 05:08 a.m.):
I found this book in my college library Monday and just had to check it out (pun intended). The book is over 800 pages if you include the index, and from what I read, it's interesting to read about the start of MI6 which gave birth to 007. It mentions Bond quite a bit in the book and really made me look on how secret SIS really is. I would recommend this for those interested, because it's a heavy one, really heavy.

Yes it's a great book. Although a word of warning, it is very very heavy reading. 800 pages may seem alot for the subject matter, but in fact if it were written at the proper pace, we would be taking about triple that figure.

It's well worth getting your hands on if you are interested in the intelligence services, and is also a handy reference book as it contains names and numbers in the finest detail possible!

#4 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 09:24 PM

Interesting. I've never really seen a book that has done that before. It's kinda unique. I've been skimming the book right now, and I was curious about Richard Dearlove, is his codename really "M"?

#5 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 03:10 PM

Yes that was to do with the 10, 30, 50, 99 year rule. Depends on how sensitive the records are.