15 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 06:01 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on the original Bond graphic novels which appeared, on and off, throughout the '90s. I read them when they came out, but they didn't stick. I'm thinking about doing a major re-read.

If people don't know what the heck I'm talking about, here's a list:

PERMISSION TO DIE by Mike Grell (in three parts), 1989.
SERPENTS TOOTH by Doug Moench (three parts), 1991.
A SILENT ARMAGEDDON by Simon Jowett (in four parts, but parts 3&4 where never published), 1993.
LIGHT OF MY DEATH by Das Petrou (4 parts collected in "DARK HORSE COMICS" w/ other stories), 1993.
SHATTERED HELIX by Simon Jowett (two parts), 1994.
MINUTE OF MIDNIGHT by Doug Moench (one off in "DARK HORSE COMICS"), 1994.
THE QUASIMODO GAMBIT by Don McGregor (in three parts), 1995.

#2 Trempo

Trempo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 05:58 PM

I read the PERMISSION TO DIE, SERPENTS TOOTH and A SILENT ARMAGEDDON.
PERMISSION TO DIE wasn't my favourite. The pictures weren't so good. And the story was not interesting.
I really liked SERPENTS TOOTH. The story was a little crazy with the dinosaurs. But the pictures were great. And the book has a pre-title sequence.
The 1&2 part of A SILENT ARMAGEDDON were an interesting beginning and I would have like to read more.

Zencat you wrote SERPENTS TOOTH were two parts. I have three parts.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 07:23 PM

RossMan (30 Jun, 2001 07:55 p.m.):
Wasn't there also an adaption of GoldenEye?

Yep, but only issue #1 was ever published. Also adapted into a graphic novel/comic book form were:
DR. NO.
FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
OCTOPUSSY
LICENCE TO KILL
and in Norway A VIEW TO A KILL and THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS.

#4 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 06:55 PM

Wasn't there also an adaption of GoldenEye?

#5 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 04:24 PM

A number of collections of the Express strips were collected and published in the 80s (by Titan), I think - mainly the Horak illustrated ones, scripted by J. D. Lawrence, but also some of the John McClusky ones as well.
I remember TSWLM, TMWTGG,The Living Daylights, Octopussy, The Hildebrand Rarity and from the earlier era, LALD, Dr No.
There may have been others. I don't think any of the "new", non fleming titles were put out, though.
I liked Yaroslav Horak's loose style with its bold use of black very much. It's interesting how much his Bond (drawn in the 70s) resembles a cross between Brosnan and Dalton.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 01:56 PM

The Express not only serialized the novels but went on to print original Bond adventures right up into the '80s. 007 Magazine once laid out a full list of the titles. I would be great if someone would collecet these into a large format book.

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 05:41 AM

I don't know about the express. Mine was in a full on book. I can't even think where it is right now to check. Come to think about it I think every now and then it seemed as if the cartoon had started again as it had some title or something. I could be mistaken though. I only read it once or twice.

#8 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 June 2001 - 08:56 AM

Are rhese the Daily Express strips, illustrated by Horak?
I seem to remember they restored Bond to central place in the story and added the back story of the mission Bond was returning from. I've got some of them in the Secret Archives [ aka the garage].

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 13 June 2001 - 07:40 AM

Well I've only read the version of TSWLM. I must say I liked it. The condensed story made TSWLM a whole lot better.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 June 2001 - 04:09 AM

Some, not all. Well, I've more LOOKED at them than read them. I hear they've pretty good.

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 13 June 2001 - 03:32 AM

Have you ever read the comic versions of the Fleming novels?

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 05:26 AM

White Persian (12 Jun, 2001 01:35 a.m.):
By far the most interesting was A Silent Armageddon. Simon Jowett's story was intriguing (I'm STILL dying to know what happens!), and John Byrnes's art work was superb - with a real Bond and British feel to it. A great pity that parts 3 and 4 never appeared. Anyone know what happened?

I have this written in my Bond database, not sure where I got this info/quote from: "In the canceled issues 3 & 4 Bond would defeat Cerberus in a VR world where his crippled 13-year-old protectee would metamorphoses into a typical

#13 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 12:35 AM

I found them mostly just*OK*.
Permission To Die caught the flavour quite well, but was fairly derivative, though I found the phantom of the opera touches fun, if a bit cheesy.
I really disliked Serpent's Tooth, a horrible mish mash of TSWLM (the movie) and Jurassic Park with Bond portrayed as a cross between Stallone and Schwartzeneggar. The Art was stiff as well.
But not as dreadful as the Quasimodo Gambit art! Story was pretty naff, too.
By far the most interesting was A Silent Armageddon. Simon Jowett's story was intriguing (I'm STILL dying to know what happens!), and John Byrnes's art work was superb - with a real Bond and British feel to it. A great pity that parts 3 and 4 never appeared. Anyone know what happened?

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 05:14 AM

Trempo (11 Jun, 2001 06:58 p.m.):
Zencat you wrote SERPENTS TOOTH were two parts. I have three parts.

Whoops! You're right there, Trempo. SERPENTS TOOTH is in THREE parts, not two. Good catch.

#15 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:35 PM

I'm chuffed to bits cause I've been after these comics for years. I missed out on a couple last year on eBay, Silent Armaggeddon 1 and Serpent's Tooth 2. But luckily quite a few have shown up on eBay so I made sure I got them. I won Silent Armaggeddon 1 and Quasimodo Gambit 3. I also forgot to bid in an Auction of Permission to Die 1 and 2 but as nobody else bidded the Seller said I could have them.

I also got another bargain, a very good condition paperback of James Bond the Authorised Biography by John Pearson which I've been dying to read for ages. I got it for 30p and with postage added the complete price was only

#16 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:48 AM

Actually, it's John BUrns. At least, this is how his second name is spelled on the cover.
BTW, does anyone know any other artworks made by him? I really like the way he draws.