Siskel and Ebert Trash The Living Daylights

51 replies to this topic

#1 connery&dalton

connery&dalton

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:48 AM

bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/ebertandroeper/index2.html?sec=1&subsec=1367

#2 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:10 AM

Man,they were a bit harsh.Especially Siskel.He slammed Moore & Dalton.

#3 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:27 AM

They pretty much said that he's too serious and the Bond girl was walking space, that's common knowledge ain't it.

Siskel does have a point about Brosnan having that verve for life. And i like that he admits frankly about calling Bond a mouse when Ebert disagrees about the mouseness of Dalton.

Bless Siskel, he was a critic for the ages.

Edited by Colossus, 21 November 2007 - 09:30 AM.

#4 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:43 AM

I don't think that quite qualifies as "trashing".

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:27 PM

'Jer-owen Crab'! 'Mary-Am Dee Abo'! :D

#6 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:27 PM

Siskel could never get past the fact that Connery wasn't any longer playing Bond, even though he'd previously referred to Diamonds as a "rhinestone." Siskel had raved about NSNA primarily because of Connery's return. He was later to trash GoldenEye as well, criticizing Brosnan as a mere prettyboy. For his part, Ebert, a critic I respect more, simply wanted the series to be an over-the-top spoof. With those pre-existing points of view, the Dalton entries didn't stand a chance.

#7 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:20 PM

Didn't Siskel keep suggesting Denzel Washington play Bond? I remember a friend commenting at some length that Siskel returned to that idea repeatedly.

#8 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:41 PM

Siskel could never get past the fact that Connery wasn't any longer playing Bond, even though he'd previously referred to Diamonds as a "rhinestone." Siskel had raved about NSNA primarily because of Connery's return.

Indeed that was what was fun about watching Ebert review the Bond films and he would get mad and mean over any non-Connery Bond actor. At least Ebert said Dalton was an improvement over Moore, although I am a Sir Rog fan. At least Sir Roger pre-AVTAK.

He was later to trash GoldenEye as well, criticizing Brosnan as a mere prettyboy.

Oh, yes he did. He seems madder at Brosnan's Bond than Dalton's Bond.

Take a look at Siskel's review of GE-

http://bventertainme...ubsec=goldeneye

For his part, Ebert, a critic I respect more, simply wanted the series to be an over-the-top spoof.

Indeed, Ebert was not fond of FYEO-

http://rogerebert.su.../101010326/1023

Siskel and Ebert were fonder of LTK-

http://bventertainme...licence to kill

Siskel actually likes Dalton in this one and calls him a "solid Bond" and Ebert likes him here too. Too bad Dalton never got to do his 3rd but we'll always have TLD and LTK.

#9 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:04 PM

Didn't Siskel keep suggesting Denzel Washington play Bond? I remember a friend commenting at some length that Siskel returned to that idea repeatedly.

Yes, he did. At that point, Siskel simply thought of Bond as a generic action adventure hero, rather than the character Ian Fleming created.

#10 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:34 PM

I wonder what Siskel would have thought of Craig? My guess is that he would have approved.

#11 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:40 PM

I wonder what Siskel would have thought of Craig? My guess is that he would have approved.

It's a shame he never lived long enough to see Craig. He always complained about all of the actor's who came after Connery. But I think he would have liked Craig.

#12 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:54 PM

They obviously didn

#13 connery&dalton

connery&dalton

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:02 PM

It's a shame he never lived long enough to see Craig. He always complained about all of the actor's who came after Connery. But I think he would have liked Craig.

Gene Siskel often talked about the physical presence of the actors. One reason why Siskel liked Connery the best was because he had the largest physique. I think he would have been quite surprised to see an actor come along who physically outdoes Connery.

#14 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:03 PM

Siskel and Ebert's show was entertaining. But I thank God I had never accepted their opinion of "THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS".

#15 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

These two seem unable to review the film as it stands (is it entertaining? Is it exciting?) and just continually compare it to Goldfinger, which isn't especially helpful or insightful.

#16 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:35 AM

These two seem unable to review the film as it stands (is it entertaining? Is it exciting?) and just continually compare it to Goldfinger, which isn't especially helpful or insightful.

I remember when Siskel and Ebert reviewed Never Say Never Again. Basically, they said it was great because it had Sean Connery. Period. That was it. Nothing terribly insightful at all.

#17 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:04 AM

It may not seem like a big deal now, but Siskel and Ebert were the kings of criticism for years. I wonder how many people they turned on or off some of the Bond films during this period.

I think Siskel is the perfect sterotype many fans have of those with tunnelvision by Connery's portrayal of Bond.

Something I mentioned in a similar thread a while back was Ebert's print reviews and his TV reviews sometimes varied. He seemed to have more enthusiasm in the print reviews that I've seen.

I actually tape recorded their original FYEO TV review way back in 1981. Siskel rave about it being a return to Bond, saying he hadn't liked a Bond film since Thunderball. Ebert said he liked some of the earlier pictures and thought this was too much of a direction the other way.

Siskel was also raved about OP and Ebert didn't like that. Siskel really got the better of him in that review, asking Ebert where you could get action like that and Ebert tossed out a lame comeback on that one.

#18 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:58 AM

Siskel was also raved about OP and Ebert didn't like that. Siskel really got the better of him in that review, asking Ebert where you could get action like that and Ebert tossed out a lame comeback on that one.

Siskel liked OP? Good for him. I thought he would've hated that one.

#19 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:01 AM

I wish they had some of the Moore bond movie reviews on that site.

#20 connery&dalton

connery&dalton

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:45 AM

Siskel and Ebert's programs were not saved until the fall of 1986 when they started their new program, Siskel and Ebert and the Movies and begin working for Buenavista. They wanted their shows between 1975 and 1985 saved, but the companies they worked for decided to toss them out believing that they would be useless because people would not be able to see these pictures. It was not until the middle 1980s that people realized home video was the wave of the future and that they could see these films. Thus, Siskel and Ebert's programs were believed by late 1986 to be valuable and Buenavista saved them.

#21 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:24 AM

Siskel and Ebert's programs were not saved until the fall of 1986 when they started their new program, Siskel and Ebert and the Movies and begin working for Buenavista. They wanted their shows between 1975 and 1985 saved, but the companies they worked for decided to toss them out believing that they would be useless because people would not be able to see these pictures. It was not until the middle 1980s that people realized home video was the wave of the future and that they could see these films. Thus, Siskel and Ebert's programs were believed by late 1986 to be valuable and Buenavista saved them.

I do have a few of those reviews. I know I have AVTAK and maybe OP, I'm not sure. I do also have the special show they did on Bond back in fall of '83 when NSNA came out and Siskel raved on and on about Connery.

They had little segments where they picked their personal bests and in the best Bond segment Siskel had a good line where he said something like "Roger, if you disagree (about Connery) I am going to throw you out of this balcony and then jump out myself." Ebert just kind of smilled and said very low key "I don't think that will be necessary."

#22 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:49 AM

I do have a few of those reviews. I know I have AVTAK and maybe OP, I'm not sure. I do also have the special show they did on Bond back in fall of '83 when NSNA came out and Siskel raved on and on about Connery.

They had little segments where they picked their personal bests and in the best Bond segment Siskel had a good line where he said something like "Roger, if you disagree (about Connery) I am going to throw you out of this balcony and then jump out myself." Ebert just kind of smilled and said very low key "I don't think that will be necessary."

Where did you get those videos?

#23 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:10 AM

I taped them when they actually appeared on regular television back when I was a teenager. I still have them on compilation tapes with other Bond segments from shows like Entertainment Tonight, Good Morning America and similar shows. I haven't actually looked at them in years, so I can only imagine what type of shape those tapes are in these days. I need to go back and log those some day.

I've actually seen similar compilation tapes for sale from some rare video dealers and bought a couple years ago, but none had the Siskel and Ebert review from what I remember.

#24 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:16 AM

I taped them when they actually appeared on regular television back when I was a teenager. I still have them on compilation tapes with other Bond segments from shows like Entertainment Tonight, Good Morning America and similar shows. I haven't actually looked at them in years, so I can only imagine what type of shape those tapes are in these days. I need to go back and log those some day.

I've actually seen similar compilation tapes for sale from some rare video dealers and bought a couple years ago, but none had the Siskel and Ebert review from what I remember.

It'd be nice to see them on Youtube or a site like that.

#25 connery&dalton

connery&dalton

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:27 AM

I was going to say that Turn should post them on You Tube sometime, if he has the means to do it.

The classic Siskel and Ebert shows available on You Tube are posted by a user called FirstMagnitude.

Here is his profile-

www.youtube.com/profile?user=firstmagnitude

There are lots of cool things on here like their 1983 show on Star Wars, the 1983 show on Bond which I have already posted on this site, and many more reviews. The reviews are from the At the Movies period.

#26 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:58 AM

Siskel called Dalton "mousy" and you see what happend to him...

#27 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:18 AM

Siskel called Dalton "mousy" and you see what happend to him...

But by LTK, Siskel called Dalton "solid" and clearly prefers Dalton to Moore. Check it out-

http://bventertainme...licence to kill

#28 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:52 AM

It may not seem like a big deal now, but Siskel and Ebert were the kings of criticism for years. I wonder how many people they turned on or off some of the Bond films during this period.

I think Siskel is the perfect sterotype many fans have of those with tunnelvision by Connery's portrayal of Bond.

Something I mentioned in a similar thread a while back was Ebert's print reviews and his TV reviews sometimes varied. He seemed to have more enthusiasm in the print reviews that I've seen.

I actually tape recorded their original FYEO TV review way back in 1981. Siskel rave about it being a return to Bond, saying he hadn't liked a Bond film since Thunderball. Ebert said he liked some of the earlier pictures and thought this was too much of a direction the other way.

1. Movie studios liked the Siskel and Ebert reviews becuase of the format (thumbs up or down). The thinking was that thumbs up or down made it harder to equivocate and you could always put "TWO THUMBS UP -- SISKEL & EBERT, "AT THE MOVIES" in an ad if both praised the movie.

2. I remember Siskel's reviews of both FYEO and OP when they first aired and was shocked. I didn't think I'd ever hear him say he liked a Bond movie.

#29 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:51 AM

Ebert's print review of 'Daylights seemed fair. He's never made it a secret he's appreciated the OTT Bond adventures, so when after 13 years of Moore we get a Bond who is actually unsure if he'll survive the stunt he's about to undertake, it's a fair bet Rog would have a bit of a problem with that interpretation.

He eased up with LTK though.

#30 d0uble0_7

d0uble0_7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:12 PM

I can't say I ever put much value on their opinions. As they've tried ridiculing some fine films IMO. They're simply an overrated bunch in a ridiculous profession. That would not be what I would want my legacy to consist of.