This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

was Gardner obsessed with Disney in Never Send Flowers?

10 replies to this topic

#1 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 06:15 AM

What is the deal with the presence of the Disney references in this novel? Not only is the finale set at a Disney location, but there are countless mentions of the company throughout the book even a point where Bond mentions getting angry when people knock the company....which I felt was out of character...does anyone else think it was weird?

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 07:41 AM

That was very jarring. Doesn't really fit in with Bond's impressions of US culture (cf Diamonds are Forever).

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 01:04 PM

Yeah, it was weird. I always felt that Gardner had to make concessions to Walt's clan in order to use Euro-Disney in the book. If true, I'm not sure if it was worth it. While Euro-Disney did make an interesting backdrop for the book's climax, I'm sure another location could have been found without selling out.

All that said I'm not sure if Bond liking Disney was completely out of character. In Thrilling Cities Fleming himself seemed to have a hatred of American culture, but he did briefly cast Disneyland in a good light. If Fleming can feel that way I don't see why Bond couldn't.

#4 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 01:17 PM

but Bond seemed to be downright angry when it came to criticism of Disney...even if he thought it was great for kids, I don't really see him getting so riled up about it
as for a backdrop, I think something less tacky could have been found for the book...

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 05:16 PM

Yes, I thought it was weird. But I, like Mr. Asterix, felt Gardner was required to paint Disney in a flattering light in order to use Euro-Disney in the book. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney had approval over the final manuscript. They're a little protective of their public image, to say the least.

Or maybe Gardner just really loves Mickey Mouse?

I feel like there's so many inside and untold stories about the books...I'd really love a candid book about the history of Glidrose and the literary Bond.

#6 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 02:07 PM

guess Gardner's just a softie :)

#7 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 04:52 PM

Mr. Bond now that you've averted the plans of yet another megalomaniac what are you going to do?

I'm going to Disneyland!

For some reason something just seems a tad off about that. :)

#8 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 05:29 PM

Do you expect me to talk?

No Mr. Bond, I expect you to ride the teacups!

yeah, kind of weird, Jamaica, Switzerland, Portugal, Japan, Hong Kong, and....Euro Disney....oooooh exotic, that's one stop I won't make as I try to visit all the Bond locales...

#9 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 07:37 PM

Will Bond find out it's a small, small world? What happens when he really meets Bambi and Thumper?? Find out next week, boys and girls, when James Bond returns to Witch Mountain!

#10 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 08:11 PM

Evidently the Flying Dumbos is Mr Bond's ride of choice. I wonder if they crashed and burned afterwards? :)

#11 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 10:01 PM

I believe Gardner had an acknowledgement to Disney corporation for giving him, er... the company mission statement for Bond to deliver?

NSF is the only Bond book where a megalomaniac corporation taking over the world is actually on Bond's side!