18 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:42 AM

Like many fans, I've always wondered if Timothy Dalton, had he started his tenure earlier, would have been a more-successful Bond. As such, I've hit upon the idea of a rewrite (in line with Dalton's more serious portrayal) of Octopussy, which I present to you below:

The beginning of the film would show a dying 009 stumbling into the embassy, carrying a Faberg

#2 jrdoo7

jrdoo7

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:53 PM

it would have been james brolin not dalton. we talk about what if connery was in ohmss or moore in the mwtgg in 69 if they made it before ohmss. or if brosnan was in ld.[quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='787513' date='28 October 2007 - 02:42']Like many fans, I've always wondered if Timothy Dalton, had he started his tenure earlier, would have been a more-successful Bond. As such, I've hit upon the idea of a rewrite (in line with Dalton's more serious portrayal) of Octopussy, which I present to you below:

The beginning of the film would show a dying 009 stumbling into the embassy, carrying a Faberg

#3 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:04 PM

I think it could have worked really well, but I think making Octopussy Moore's swan song in '81 and having Dalton debut with FYEO in '83 would have been even better.

And your rewrite is pretty good. :P :D

#4 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:45 AM

I think it could have worked really well, but I think making Octopussy Moore's swan song in '81 and having Dalton debut with FYEO in '83 would have been even better.

And your rewrite is pretty good. :P :D

Why, thank you! It's my first try, and I'm always willing to listen. :D

#5 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

Octopussy is my favorite bond film so it'd be hard for me to see it in any other form but your ideas have alot of potential.

#6 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:56 PM

What can I say? I would have loved a much longer period of TD as bond. OP is as good a place to start at any.

#7 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:45 PM

Why, thank you, Cruiserweight and RazorBlade! I'm glad to hear some positive feedback. :P

Any more comments? :D

#8 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:14 AM

My comment is that you're an extremely talented and creative writer, Mr. Blofeld, and I look forward to your redrafts of other Bond entries in the future. :D

#9 The White Tuxedo

The White Tuxedo

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:55 AM

The 80's should have been the decade of Dalton! :D The faster you get Moore out the better! OCTOPUSSY had a lot of potential. A good story, in fact probably the best that is not from Fleming. Though it uses bits of Fleming. But it's totally ruined by Moore being all smarmy and NOT funny. That stupid chase in India is another mark against. And the safari, which is a bad idea executed extremely poorly. Tarzan yell anyone? Of course, I'd also suggest they should have gotten a better director too. Glen also helped destory OCTOPUSSY's potential.

This would have made a cracking Dalton film! The romance with Octopussy, chasing down the bomb before it goes KABOOM. I even like the clown idea. Fleming had a similar idea I think, I think y'all probably already know about it. Quite Hitchcockian actually.

#10 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:44 AM

Well, a film series is always better with new blood; just look at OHMSS. :D

#11 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:34 AM

The 80's should have been the decade of Dalton! :D The faster you get Moore out the better!

I can't say that I entirely agree, and this seems a bit harsh.

#12 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:51 AM

The 80's should have been the decade of Dalton! :D The faster you get Moore out the better!

Well, Moore was getting a bit on in years, and it showed; as hence, the role needed a new actor sooner than when the films got one.

#13 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:08 AM

Well, Moore was getting a bit on in years, and it showed; as hence, the role needed a new actor sooner than when the films got one.

I don't think his age affected the films until his very last one,AVTAK.

#14 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:01 PM

Not even in Octopussy? :D

:P

#15 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:06 PM

No,i think he looked good in Octopussy and was still believable in the role.It wasn't until AVTAK until i said ok it's time for a change.

#16 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:38 PM

Funny what two years can do to a guy...

#17 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:50 PM

No,i think he looked good in Octopussy and was still believable in the role.It wasn't until AVTAK until i said ok it's time for a change.

I think Moore started to look a little too old in FYEO (which is my favoirite Moore film).

#18 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

I see the crazy war-mongering Russian general has been removed from your rewrite.

:D

#19 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:50 PM

I see the crazy war-mongering Russian general has been removed from your rewrite.

:D

Always good to hear. :P