2 replies to this topic

#1 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 02:47 AM

While this is not a new cover in terms of date, it is one I've never seen before, in a bookstore, or on the 'net. I picked up this 'New American Library'-published book from the Winnipeg Library's used book sale (as well as 'The Master Book of Spies' by Donald McCormick, who worked under Fleming in WWII). Even its title is slightly strange: 'Octopussy The last 2 by Ian Fleming' Subtitled: 'In the eerie worlds of scorpionfish and Checkpoint Charlie with James Bond, Her Majesty's Agent 007'

But what made me notice its difference, is the silhouette of a sniper-rifle with an octopus tentacle coming out the barrel--oriented vertically with the butt at the bottom, and the toe of the buttplate towards the right. This and the titles are on the dust-jacket, a rusty red version of the tentacle-gun is on the hardcover.

I've got no scanner, so I'll do my best to describe the coverThe dust-jacket and hardcover are black, the word 'Octopussy' is in orange-red, the words 'The last 2 by' and 'In the eerie worlds of scorpionfish and Checkpoint Charlie with James Bond, Her Majesty's Agent 007' are in grey, and 'Ian Fleming' is in white.

The back of the dust-jacket has the B&W photo of Fleming smoking with a cigarette-holder (which I'm sure we've all seen before).

The reason I'm describing all this, is, as I mentioned above, that I haven't seen this cover ever before, and I'm wondering if anyone else has, or has seen this book.

#2 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 02:55 AM

Is this what you're referring to?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=1557581547

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 03:37 PM

That's the American first edition cover. But beware when buying it because the book club edition used the exact same cover.