This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

007 reasons Hugh Jackman should be the next Bond.

36 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 07:44 PM

In the spirit of the "007 reason..." threads, comes my turn, and yes, I am aware there is a thread about Jackman as Bond, but as you can see, mine is a bit different.

001. Jackman is 6'3" All great Bonds should be at least six foot.

002. Looks kinda like Connery did while he was Bond, a rugged gentleman (well, he doesnt look like a gentleman in X-Men :)).

003. Played an English Nobleman in Kate and Leopold, go see it if you havent (yes it may be a chick flick, but its a great chick flick).

004. He can handle himself in a fight scene, and looks convincing too. Something that is required if you want to play a tough secret agent.

005. Can toss off a one-liner with the best of them.

006. Is young still, so the time Brosnan steps down, will be the right age to take over the role.

007. Wants to do it, he has made it clear in a few interviews that he wants to do it. If he wants to do it now, I doubt he'd be pissy about his fee then, you never know, he may take a pay cut for the role.

Just for the sake of avoiding arguments (BP, that means you) lets try to keep this on the subject of Jackman being Bond, and not come up with our own ideas for who should play Bond. If you want to do that, make your own thread talking about it.

#2 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 09:27 PM

Can't argue with any of those.
What may put him out of the running is his involvement with the new Dirk Pitt movie. Two big if's here. If he takes the role of Pitt and if the film spawns sequels then EON may not want to cast an actor who's been associated with a rival franchise. On the other hand if he can be accepted by the public as Wolverine and Pitt, why not Bond as well? All very different characters, but he has the versatility to pull it off.

#3 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 10:46 PM

Dark Pitt movie? This is the first I've heard of this. What is it exactly? Something that would lend itself to multiple installments?

Dont forget that Roger Moore also made a series of Saint movies before he stepped into the role of James Bond.

#4 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 11:06 PM

Dirk Pitt is an underwater salvage expert who works for an oceanographic agency called NUMA.
Clive Cussler has written a long running series of books about the guy and one of them (Sahara) has been greenlighted as a movie project.

Cussler, along with most of his fans, hated the only other adaptation of his work (Raise the Titanic) and swore he would never sell the screen rights to any of his novels unless he had input on casting. And the guy he wants is Jackman, with George Clooney as a close second apparently.

Sahara has the potential to be a blockbuster. Pitt has to find the source of a contamination which could kill off life in most of the worlds oceans. Real welcome to doomsday stuff. NUMA lend him this motor launch with a concealed missile system which he puts to good use in a boat chase similar to the one in 'Moonraker'.

#5 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 11:44 PM

Ok, so its not something Jackman is doing for sure. Just something that he is attached to in one way or another. I'm not saying that I dont want him to do it, hell, I'd like to see Jackman do just about anything, but if it keeps him from Bond, I dont know.

#6 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 11:54 PM

That's about the size of it.
Jackman's meant to be in talks but I don't think he's signed up to anything. One article suggested It would be dependent on the shooting schedule fitting with his future X-men commitments.

#7 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 05:02 AM

Since the last post in this topic, we've had a surge of new posters. Lets see what they have to say on the topic of Hugh Jackman as 007.

In other words, BUMP!

#8 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 11:03 AM

Ahem! sorry if I'm going to sound a little out of touch - but as I've not seen Xmen, or knowingly anything else with Hugh in - I'm afraid I have no idea as to what he looks like - could someone possibly post a picture of him, so that I can agree or disagree with this choice of successor to PB.
Much appreciated if someone can do me this little thing + no doubt the female members of this community will enjoy looking at a little eyecandy!

#9 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 03:06 PM

don't think he'll do it....he seems like the kind who won't commit to a lot of films....he's got a good career going, he won't want to settle for doing a franchise when he could do a lot of variety...as good as Pierce is, Bond is the best work he's done and it's allowed him to do some other great films since...Jackman's doing great work now, he won't likely give it up to do more than one or maybe two Bonds....though I think he'd be good in the part, I'd rather see him as Dirk Pitt....

#10 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 05:17 PM

Jackman is doing other great work now aside from X-men? Like Swordfish, Kate & Leopold, or that other panned romantic comedy he did with Ashley Judd? While he's often cited as the best thing in those films, none of them were hits and all of them were pretty much critically panned. As one reviewer recently commented, he needs a better agent, or to hire someone to read his scripts.

But he does have X-Men 2, a franchise that's becoming more and more centered around his character, and he's rumored to also have a possible franchise Dirk Pitt in his future. So he does have other oprions besides Bond even though he'd said on more than one occassion that he'd like to do Bond. But then so have Clive Owen, Ioan Gruffudd (sp?), Christian Bale and a host of others.

From March of this year (I believe The Oscars)
http://www.style.com...ages/bottom.jpg

#11 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 05:30 PM

I say he's a top contender solely for the fact that after Brosnan leaves Mickey G. and Babs will want to get someone who is an established actor in the role. I doubt the producers will go for an unkown. Look what happend the last two times, not that I'm knocking Lazenby and Dalton, but they were not widely recieved by audiences, and they ended up making very little films.

The producers would be wise to sign him to a three picture deal and get him in after Brosnan leaves. Maybe they could do something they havent done before and sign him while Brosnan is still in the role, just so they have a Bond #6 ready to go when Brosnan decides to leave.

#12 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 06:32 PM

Actually, quite recently, it was stated that Hugh Jackman turned down the role of Dirk Pitt (much to my disappointment), and now Tom Cruise is in the running as the character. But I'd rather see Hugh as Bond then Pitt (even though I'm fans of both characters).

#13 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 09:38 PM

Hmmm, kinda makes you wonder if he turned down Dark Pitt in anticipation of Bond.....heck, he probably just did it because of X-men. But we can dream cant we :)

#14 RayBros007

RayBros007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts
  • Location:Jacksonville FL! Home of SuperBowl Thirty-something...

Posted 02 September 2002 - 10:16 PM

...He's very handsome

http://graphics.fans...s=65524.75&dw=2

I think this is a pic from the Swordfish premiere

#15 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 10:35 PM

Hmm, that didn't work too well, Raybros :)

I'm all for getting a Brit/Gael to play Bond, Bond is English. Fullstop. I'm very Xenophobic when it comes to actors who should play Bond i'm afraid, and I think Brosnan was superb casting because I'm Irish myself :)

#16 RayBros007

RayBros007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts
  • Location:Jacksonville FL! Home of SuperBowl Thirty-something...

Posted 02 September 2002 - 10:43 PM

Dammit! it was just working a second ago...

O.K. Let's try it again...

http://graphics.fans...s=67359.62&dw=2

#17 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 04:46 AM

JimmyBond- Dalton wasn't an unknown when he became Bond...the giu had been working for like fifteen years, the only unknown was Lazenby.....but I don't think they really care if he's known or unknown, just that he'll commit to the films and be right for the part...

#18 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for correcting me on that, I keep hearing all these different things about Dalton, hard to tell whats truth and not.

The thing about following Brosnan, it will be just like Connery, people really accept Brosnan as Bond, it will be hard for people to move on. Thats why I think they will cast a established actor in the role.

#19 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 12:16 PM

Not sure about him. But how about Christian Bale - he'll be mid 30s by the time they get around to him.

(Apologies if his name has cropped up in previous threads - never been very original)

#20 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 12:28 PM

Originally posted by RayBros007
...He's very handsome  

http://graphics.fans...s=65524.75&dw=2

I think this is a pic from the Swordfish premiere

Hmm, now I can see from this picture that he does look like a Bond candidate. And yes I've seen Swordfish - I just didn't know that it was him in it.
Yep - I concurr - he probably would make a good Bond, when Pierce throws the towel in.

#21 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 12:34 PM

I agree that Bond should be played by someone from the British Empire as in Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, Canada and Australia, not England of the UK alone.

Jackman's really the fore runner as far as im concerned he's the only one with the class, self depricating humour (hey he's an aussie) and panache to be able to walk into the character. Another I wouldn't mind seeing is Adrian Paul.

However, Bond's Scottish, or half scots, half french-swiss to be exact :) Born in Glencoe

#22 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 04:48 PM

That pics not exactly a flattering pic of him. Makes him look kinda "happy." Of course, as Bond, he would not have that **** eating grin on his face.

Anyways, if anyone doubts he can be a gentleman, watch Kate and Leopold, its a pretty good movie, and he dons a perfect English accent for the film.

#23 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 04:54 PM

Watch Swordfish. That was the one where he convinced me he could and should be Bond. The movie was total ****, but Halle Barry's boobs were in it, and they were an offer I couldn't refuse.

#24 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 04:59 PM

Yeah, I didnt much care for Swordfish as a whole either. I thought Halle was good in it (and not just because she is topless :)). I still say see Kate and Leopold to see the Gentleman side of Jackman, its also a good movie (IMO).

#25 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 02:09 AM

Hugh Jackman reminds me of a young Sean Connery with his rugged good looks and masculinity. When I grow up, can I please be like Hugh Jackman? And when I get even older, can I be like Sean Connery?

#26 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 02:17 AM

I think by the time Brosnan steps down (2007 maybe?) The X-Men franchise will be winding down (just speculation, since most franchises dont make it past a trilogy). It would be the perfect time to snag Jackman for Bond.

#27 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 02:21 AM

Let's just hope he's not too expensive! I don't see the producers being too willing to shell out the bucks for a top of the line actor like Hugh Jackman. If Jackman deals himself out of the running, we might stuck with another stinker as Bond..{coughs, Dalton}

#28 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 02:24 AM

If that happend, I'd still go see the films. I woudlnt like them, but I'd still see them :)

#29 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 07:39 AM

I'm just gonna say it. It do not support Hugh Jackman as James Bond. I like Hugh Jackman as much as the next person, but I don't feel he's right for it. He doesn't fit my tastes at all. He doesn't look right and doesn't feel right. That's basically it. :)

But that's just my opinion. :) I respect yours. :)

#30 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 05:15 AM

One could argue that Dalton didnt fit their tastes, or Moore, or even Connery. No Bond will be loved by all, I would love to make a rebuttal to your comments..

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit more? Why doesnt he look right? He certantly looks right to me, as mentioned before, he resembles a young Connery in many ways.