#1 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 31 December 2001 - 12:41 AM

Does anyone know if Sally Hibbin (The Official James Bond Movie Book. 1987, 1989. That's as far as she goes with these ones, I think. & The Making Of Licence To Kill) and Steven Jay Rubin (The Complete James Bond Movie encyclopaedia 1990, 1996) have written any fictional Bond books?

I've searched on the net, but I can't find any.

Also, I would like you tell me your opinion of all the books written by those two. I'm sure there are others that I am not aware of.

#2 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 31 December 2001 - 08:39 PM

Speaking of people in the Bond world who have dropped out of site.

I may be mistaken, but you don't hear much about Richard Shenkman (is that how you spell it?) now.

And why does his Bond fan club no longer exist?

#3 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 10:04 PM

Dr. Tynan (31 Dec, 2001 08:39 p.m.):
Speaking of people in the Bond world who have dropped out of site.

I may be mistaken, but you don't hear much about Richard Shenkman (is that how you spell it?) now.

And why does his Bond fan club no longer exist?

I'm not sure what has happened to Richard Shenkman. That's an interesting question.

As for the fan club, Richard was running the club on his time and on his money and simply got exhausted.overwhelmed and just decided to quit doing it. I think that's what happened anyway.

#4 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 08:55 PM

Does anyone else know anything more about Sally Hibbin and Steven Jay Rubin? Or have a comment to make on their books?

#5 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 31 December 2001 - 03:31 AM

I don't think they wrote any fiction Bond novels. The only fictional Bond novels have been written by Ian Fleming, Kingsely Amis, John Gardner, and Raymond Benson. (plus Christopher Woods' two novilizations).

I can't comment on the two books you've mentioned because I haven't read them.

#6 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 31 December 2001 - 04:25 AM

Thanks guys.

#7 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 12:01 AM

Cheers, Mccartney007.

I hope what you say about Richard Shenkman's Bond club is right, it'd be awful to think that it went out of action because the members lost interest in Bond.

#8 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 31 December 2001 - 04:00 AM

Dr. Tynan (31 Dec, 2001 12:41 a.m.):
Does anyone know if Sally Hibbin (The Official James Bond Movie Book.  1987, 1989. That's as far as she goes with these ones, I think. & The Making Of Licence To  Kill) and Steven Jay Rubin (The Complete James Bond Movie encyclopaedia 1990, 1996) have written any fictional Bond books?

I've searched on the net, but I can't find any.

Neither Sally Hibbin nor Steven Jay Rubin have written any James Bond fiction... not any that has been published anyway. Speaking of those two, I'd like to know what happened to them. Rubin used to be a "major player" in the James Bond world and then after the updated "James Bond Encyclopedia" came out, he disappeared.

Also, I would like you tell me your opinion of all the books written by those two.  I'm sure there are others that I am not aware of.

Sally Hibbin's "The Making of Licence to Kill" is the best behind-the-scenes books out on a James Bond film. "The Making of GoldenEye," "The Making of Tomorrow Never Dies," and "The World is Not Enough: A Companion" are not as good as Hibbin's book (all due respect to Garth Pearce and Iain Johnstone for their efforts). I believe Sally Hibbin has done at least one other book on Bond, but I'm hardpressed to think of what it/they was/were without making a dash for my bookshelves.

As for Rubin's books, I have to say they are all pretty good. I'm a big fan of the Encyclopedia, although it has always seemed (to me at least) as if he was trying to compete with/out-do Master Benson's "James Bond Bedside Companion." That would be all fine and good although I think (again, my opinion) it shows that he's trying to out-do Benson. I don't know what else there is to say about Rubin. Zencat may have something to add?