5 replies to this topic

#1 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:32 AM

OK, I'm planning on buying the new PS3, mostly for Blue Ray DVDs watching, but also for games.

Alas it appears the new model isn't able to play PS2 games ?

I own two PS1 Bond games, WINE and 007 racing, which I will be able to play.

But I will not be able to play the others ? If anyone more versed into games than I am, could help me fill in this list (and I'm sure it would help others on this board also, because we're all bound to go the Blue-Ray way once they issue all the Bond movies on HD).

I would definetly buy the low cost 40gb version, if I can play Nightfire, EON, Rogue Agent and FRWL on it. The reason I want the low cost 40gb is that it makes less noise than the 60gb model from last year.

(1997) GoldenEye
(1997) Tomorrow Never Dies
(2000) 007 Racing - COMPATIBLE with PS3 40-60GB
(2000) The World Is Not Enough - COMPATIBLE with PS3 40-60GB
(2001) Agent Under Fire
(2002) NightFire
(2003) Everything Or Nothing
(2004) GoldenEye: Rogue Agent
(2005) From Russia With Love

Thanks !

#2 the doctor

the doctor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:14 PM

less noise? the PS3 60Gb version doesnt make much noise...well the one ive got doesnt...i was talking to a person at GAME today that told me the 40GB versions was lacking the ability to play PSone and PS2 games....you wont be able to play any of the PS2 games on the 40Gb model in any case meaning AUF to FRWL are not going to work.

Edited by the doctor, 14 October 2007 - 12:15 PM.

#3 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:24 PM

Heard the noise (ok, funny), depends on the one you got with the 60gb, some make a bit of a noise, others don't. The new 40gb makes about half the noise accounting tests on the web. It reads PS1 games but not the PS2 ones which is stupid IMHO.

So I guess I'll have to pluck down for the 60gb model then ? It's now down to 499

#4 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

Sony has an official compatibility list you should check out. For some reason, it looks like that part of the site is down because I can't get the page to load.

http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/

I've read the European models didn't have the Emotion chip found in the US models which impacts the backwards compatibility. The more popular a game, the better chance you have of it working so 007 Racing might be a challenge to get working.

On the noise side, a friend of mine has a PS3 & I've found that is was very quiet for a game console. I have an Xbox 360 & it has the smooth whurr of a jet engine when it is running. :D Definitely not the best movie machine for a home theater environment.

#5 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:06 PM

Yes, it appears this whole noise thing is bull, as reported to me by the press agent of the PS3 in france.

So, to play past 007 game, is it preferable for me to buy and old PS2 on ebay ? They go from 50 to 80 bucks these days.

#6 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:09 AM

So, to play past 007 game, is it preferable for me to buy and old PS2 on ebay ? They go from 50 to 80 bucks these days.

I got mine for free. I won it from some competition I entered at a BestBuy store. I just needed to buy the games (I prefer used gemes)

I'm sure thay will stop making PS2 games within 1 or 2 years maybe 3.