14 replies to this topic

#1 dsomerset

dsomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:48 AM

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to this site, and I'm very happy and excited to be contributing to CBn's very rich fan-fiction section. I haven't written a fan-fic story for a while. However, the news about the upcoming centenary Bond novel by Sebastian Faulks triggered in me a desire to read some of the Fleming books that I haven't read for a while again, so that I can compare the Master's works to that of the latest continuation author, when the latter will come out next year. The first Fleming book I happened to pick up was the For Your Eyes Only collection of short stories, and revisiting them was a real joy. In fact, I was so inspired by one of these gems that I decided to write a short story of my own as a kind of homage to the original work by the Master. I hope you will have as much fun reading my story as I'm having writing it.

Please feel free to post in this thread any comment and/or criticism you may have regarding what I've written and posted in the Fan-Fiction Postings area. It is only through receiving these feedbacks that a writer may hope to grow and improve (plus it's always nice to know that people do read what one has worked hard to produce :D ). Thanks!

#2 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:56 AM

Hmmm...

Guy named Somerset writing a story being told within a story...hmmm.

Strong change of pace and tone from your frame piece into the story; won't really know what to make of that until there's more to it. Not quite Maugham, not quite Fleming's Bond, but your are making it your own, and you write exceedingly well. Looking forward to reading more.

Very mature, and very high quality so far.

#3 dsomerset

dsomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:15 AM

Thank you, Clinkeroo.

I very much appreciate your kind words. As for this not being quite Fleming's Bond, my goal was not to imitate Fleming, but rather to write about Bond the way I imagine him to be. Hopefully, that still bears some resemblance to the beloved character that the Master created, but will also have some of my own style as well.

I hope you will continue reading, and enjoy the future installments of TBOE :D

Edited by dsomerset, 13 October 2007 - 06:15 AM.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

Just added a discussion link to the story for you.

Welcome to the CommanderBond.net Forums, by the way. :D

#5 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:24 PM

Hello dsomerset!
Very much appreciated first instalment of TBOE, I'm looking forward to reading the next :D

#6 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:17 AM

The first Fleming book I happened to pick up was the For Your Eyes Only collection of short stories, and revisiting them was a real joy.

Quantum of Solace by any chance?

I love the faded glamour Fleming's writing captures, especially in Q of S and Hildebrand Rarity and I can see that you do too. Love the kind of atmosphere you've tried to evoke with this story and your writing is very evocative.

Not sure about M being a girly as, for me, thats like the movie Bond crashing awkwardly into Fleming;s Bond. Not really a criticism though as thats just my preference. if it works for you then thats all that should matter.

#7 dsomerset

dsomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:55 AM

The first Fleming book I happened to pick up was the For Your Eyes Only collection of short stories, and revisiting them was a real joy.

Quantum of Solace by any chance?

I love the faded glamour Fleming's writing captures, especially in Q of S and Hildebrand Rarity and I can see that you do too. Love the kind of atmosphere you've tried to evoke with this story and your writing is very evocative.

Not sure about M being a girly as, for me, thats like the movie Bond crashing awkwardly into Fleming;s Bond. Not really a criticism though as thats just my preference. if it works for you then thats all that should matter.

Guilty as charged regarding Quantum of Solace :D . I also love that story, and think it is a bit underrated.
Your point about M being a woman is well taken. I know that to stay true to the world of the literary Bond, I should use a male M. However, whenever I think about M now, Dame Judi comes into my head, and there's nothing I can do about that. I blame the 4 Brosnan movies for the thorough brainwashing!

Just added a discussion link to the story for you.

Welcome to the CommanderBond.net Forums, by the way. :P

Thank you!

I love the variety and quality of CBn's Fan Fiction forum, and I'm glad to be a part of it.

#8 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:27 PM

Welcome to CBn, dsomerset. That was most enjoyable and neatly done. I especially enjoyed The Birth of Evil's Maughamesque(?) structure and the Flemingesque tone and pace, though I had to have a stiff drink when reading about a female M. :P I hope CBn sees more of your writing. You make a good midwife. :D

CBn is putting together a collection of short stories to commemorate Fleming's centenary. (The thread's in the fanfic forum somewhere.) Why not submit something?

Edited by Hitch, 14 October 2007 - 12:31 PM.

#9 dsomerset

dsomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:19 PM

Welcome to CBn, dsomerset. That was most enjoyable and neatly done. I especially enjoyed The Birth of Evil's Maughamesque(?) structure and the Flemingesque tone and pace, though I had to have a stiff drink when reading about a female M. :D I hope CBn sees more of your writing. You make a good midwife. :D

CBn is putting together a collection of short stories to commemorate Fleming's centenary. (The thread's in the fanfic forum somewhere.) Why not submit something?

Thank you, Hitch. The labor process is going well, and hopefully the baby will be delivered in excellent condition :P

I will wait and see how the rest of TBoE turns out. Upon the story's completion, if I'm still happy with it, I'll submit it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hello dsomerset!
Very much appreciated first instalment of TBOE, I'm looking forward to reading the next :D

Hi MkB,

Thanks for reading my story. I'm working on the next installment right now, and should have it posted in a day or so. I hope you'll find it as enjoyable as the first.

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:44 PM

New addition up now.

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:06 PM

New addition up now.

#12 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:35 AM

Nicely done, old chap; you could possibly rival Fleming in the literary department! :D

#13 dsomerset

dsomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:18 AM

Nicely done, old chap; you could possibly rival Fleming in the literary department! :D

Thank you, Mr. Blofeld, but you're too kind. I'm just a Bond fan who dabbles in writing every now and then.

I hope you'll enjoy the finale of TBOE, which is shaping up to be one of the more difficult things I've attempted to write about.

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:51 PM

New addition up now.

#15 dsomerset

dsomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:26 PM

The last addition to TBOE is now in. The writing process has been a little bumpier than I'd expected, but I hope that the final product still provides an entertaining read :D