5 replies to this topic

#1 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 01:03 PM

Hello; I don't like to post the same thing twice, but the thread I popped this in originally has slipped away a little bit, and I thought anybody who hasn't seen this would enjoy it a bit.

It is sections from two early drafts of TLD script, detailing many scenes that we have herd about including the ice yacht, the chase through the arms bazaar, Bond fighting a helicopter, the magic carpet ride (different to how it was filmed- check out the dvd for this) meeting a Gorilla, numerous versions of the "horse's [censored]" and various other bits and pieces. See it all here at:
http://www.timothyda...om/sliving.html

and if you don't look at this soon, I'll make stawberry jam of all of you!

#2 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 01:35 PM

All I can say, is that I am glad they most likely paid Dick Maibaum to take another crack at the script after seeing the draft posted on the site.

#3 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 09:23 AM

I don't think the extracts are bad, just different. They wouldn't have suited Tim (imagine his intense tones delivering the line "Burp him" whilst holding a baby gorilla) but wouldn't have looked out of place in Bond movie.

#4 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 04:37 PM

I have this draft which also includes Bond & Kara landing the C-130 Cargo plane on a US aircraft carrier...that and the ice chase scene doesn't feature the Aston Martin, rather an ice-yacht. The pre-titles sequence in the same though....and how about that bit with the fireworks in the warehouse?

#5 14 20 02

14 20 02

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 05:06 PM

It seems more written for Brosnan.

#6 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 05:51 PM

Apparently contrary to popular belief, Tim had the job before Brosnan but couldn't do it so it went to Pierce. Then of course Pierce couldn't and so much time had elapsed that Tim had become free. I suppose it could have been done for the Bros-man though, yes.

Yes Bryce, all those bits are on the page linked to above, although the pre-credits is very slightly different, with M briefing the double-0s in his office.
And as for the bit with the fireworks, well I always assumed they wrote the script first, figuring out where gadgets would be needed. But here we see at least two alternative uses for the key-ring finder, as if they liked the idea but didn't know where to put it. Interesting to see a gadget's limitations in the bit where 007 fights the helicopter but his whistle can't be heard over the noise, though.