#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:26 AM

The Taste of Vengeance

Discuss 'The Taste of Vengeance' by echomusic here.

#2 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:51 PM

An engaging opening, I want to see what happens next. I would make what I hope is a constructive suggestion to a very well written piece. You might want to double check Fleming's characterization of Sir Miles. The character you write is convincing but I'm not sure if all of his reactions are consistent with Fleming's M. He may have described a somewhat more emotionally repressed M or perhaps he just didn't give us any insight. I'm not sure that your characterization is off slightly I'm just not sure if it's entirely on, you might want to review some of the novels and stories particularly OHMSS, MR and FYEO. The M you write is an engaging character just not sure if it's 100% on. One minor note, on the same topic. I think that even if there's a personal aspect of the assignment he still would have met Bond to discuss it in his office. I'm thinking here of FYEO and the catching Drax cheating at bridge assignment in Moonraker. In both cases M meets with Bond in the office even though its a personal matter. A small point but you might want to consider some slight tweaking of the character to improve what is already a well written and engaging beginning. Looking forward to Bond's involvement.

#3 echomusic

echomusic

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:23 PM

An engaging opening, I want to see what happens next. I would make what I hope is a constructive suggestion to a very well written piece. You might want to double check Fleming's characterization of Sir Miles. The character you write is convincing but I'm not sure if all of his reactions are consistent with Fleming's M. He may have described a somewhat more emotionally repressed M or perhaps he just didn't give us any insight. I'm not sure that your characterization is off slightly I'm just not sure if it's entirely on, you might want to review some of the novels and stories particularly OHMSS, MR and FYEO. The M you write is an engaging character just not sure if it's 100% on. One minor note, on the same topic. I think that even if there's a personal aspect of the assignment he still would have met Bond to discuss it in his office. I'm thinking here of FYEO and the catching Drax cheating at bridge assignment in Moonraker. In both cases M meets with Bond in the office even though its a personal matter. A small point but you might want to consider some slight tweaking of the character to improve what is already a well written and engaging beginning. Looking forward to Bond's involvement.

Thank you for comments, MHazard.

I think I'm writing somewhere between Fleming's novels and the movies -- My Bond is a weird hybrid of Connery and Brosnan.

As for M's behavior, the next chapter will shed some light on to his actions, and the chapter following that will reveal even more.

Thank you for reading

#4 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:19 PM

Well perhaps the answer is that if M has never behaved quite this way before that he's never been in quite this situation before. Looking forward to the next chapter.

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

New addition up now.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:02 PM

New addition up now.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:31 PM

Two new additions up now.

#8 echomusic

echomusic

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:28 PM

Doesn't add to the story too much but I've created and added a 'cover image' to the story which you can see here

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:44 PM

New addition up now.

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:06 PM

New addition up now.

#11 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:18 PM

Enjoyed your new addition as I've enjoyed the previous chapters. I think you and I are writing different Bonds, mine tends to be more Fleming purist, strict literary Bond, yours is more a fusion of literary and movie Bond (we've corresponded about this before) which seems to work well with your style (which definitely incorporates Fleming elements. The three things that struck me in your latest chapter were:

1. What's a "sneer smile" (I think I know but I'm not sure if a writer as good as you couldn't say it better);

2. Your food and drink descriptions are quite Bondian, but did James ever drink a G & T in his life? and

3. I tend to rebel against gadgets, but yours were certainly in the middle ground of more plausible than the movies but a little farther out than Fleming wrote. Interestingly, in the novel Goldfinger (which I have been looking at for the umpteenth time because I have no life) Bond hides his walther in a hollowed out book entitled "the bible read as literature".

Anyway, looking forward to the next installment of your take on Bond.

#12 echomusic

echomusic

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:39 PM

Enjoyed your new addition as I've enjoyed the previous chapters. I think you and I are writing different Bonds, mine tends to be more Fleming purist, strict literary Bond, yours is more a fusion of literary and movie Bond (we've corresponded about this before) which seems to work well with your style (which definitely incorporates Fleming elements. The three things that struck me in your latest chapter were:

1. What's a "sneer smile" (I think I know but I'm not sure if a writer as good as you couldn't say it better);

2. Your food and drink descriptions are quite Bondian, but did James ever drink a G & T in his life? and

3. I tend to rebel against gadgets, but yours were certainly in the middle ground of more plausible than the movies but a little farther out than Fleming wrote. Interestingly, in the novel Goldfinger (which I have been looking at for the umpteenth time because I have no life) Bond hides his walther in a hollowed out book entitled "the bible read as literature".

Anyway, looking forward to the next installment of your take on Bond.

Thank you for your comments and thank you for reading. My son has been sick so I've been a little pre-occupied but a new chapter WILL be up this week.

To answer your questions and a few PMs I've gotten:

1. This story was inspired by reading 'Thunderball' and a book called 'Book Of Fate' by Brad Meltzer. I literally wrote the first chapter having no idea where the heck I was gonna go with it. Rest assured, I've got it all worked out.
2. This is NOT Bond from the novels and while I may be pinching some Fleming-esque writing things here and there, the Bond I'm writing about is actually Brosnan's Bond. Which leads me to...
3. This story takes place before 'Goldeneye' and also falls in continuity with my unfinished OHMSS remake script starring Brosnan that lurks around here on the forums somewhere.
4. As far as Bond's drinks and foods, I must confess to visiting a website I found that lists every drink and food item that Bond has ever had from every Fleming novel. I may have borrowed a few items from there, mostly because the food sounded good (as did the alcohol :D )
5. Gadgets -- I'm not going to get too crazy with them, less is more for this story. I'm trying to create things that seem functional and, more importantly, believable.
6. Big things coming up -- some action, some romance, some mystery guests, and more importantly Deadly Chinese Star Throwing Midgets! Ok, that last part isn't true...Son of Knick Knack will NOT be making an appearance.
7. Sneer smile? I wrote that? Um........look at the time, I have to go!!!

Edited by echomusic, 22 October 2007 - 01:42 PM.

#13 echomusic

echomusic

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:48 PM

Wow...I suck.
I have been sitting on finishing the latest chapter for this thing.
Well...I just finished the chapter and posted it - awaiting moderator approval!

More will be coming soon.
I've been watching lotsa Bond and getting back into the swing of things.

#14 Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

Wow, very nice. I'm hooked! :D

Can't wait for the next installment!

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:17 PM

New addition up now.

#16 echomusic

echomusic

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:56 PM

New chapter should be up today.

Gun play! Chase scene! Explosions!

Wow...exciting......... :D

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:40 AM

New addition up now.

#18 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:02 AM

A couple of questions/comments:

1. Why does everyone except Bond use a revolver instead of an automatic; and

2. Why is Bond using an ankle hoster? Wouldn't any gun that could fit in an ankle holster be too small for any distance or accuracy and lack "stopping power".

Please note I actually know very little about firearms and continue to find the story engaging.

#19 echomusic

echomusic

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:36 PM

A couple of questions/comments:

1. Why does everyone except Bond use a revolver instead of an automatic; and

2. Why is Bond using an ankle hoster? Wouldn't any gun that could fit in an ankle holster be too small for any distance or accuracy and lack "stopping power".

Please note I actually know very little about firearms and continue to find the story engaging.

1. Because that's the world we live in. No? Ok...because 'Revolver' is my favorite Beatles album? No? Because...I don't know...I just wrote it...
2. Why an ankle holster? Why not. They're the hottest fashion accessory (as seen in GQ Spy, Jan '08 edition) And as far as accuracy or stopping power, no problem when it's Bond...and his big ankles...where he can have a big gun.

#20 echomusic

echomusic

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:03 PM

no updates as of late because i broke my hand on Jan 1 (2008's off to a great start)
Therefore, i can't really type as fast as i want to and it's too frustrating.

#21 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

Sorry to hear this, echomusic. I wish you all the best for the recovery process. Hope we'll read you soon!