17 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 10:16 PM

Anyone going to buy it? It's shipping from SpyGuise now (http://www.spyguise.com)

I've already ordered mine. I'm going to the UK next year (hopefully twice) and I'm going to use it as a sort of travel guide so I can look up some of the locations from Bond around London.

Personally I think the book is a fantastic idea. Can't wait to get my copy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 12:22 AM

I'm can sympathise with that Zencat. At first I thought the same. But I do see where Giblin is coming from in saying he wants to keep it all 'pure'. I just hope that in future editions he may let someone else (or even himself if he chooses) add in the other locations as an appendix perhaps.

#3 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 03:05 AM

zencat (15 Jan, 2002 02:48 a.m.):
...but I am a little irritated that the book doesn't feature any locations from the Gardner or Benson books.

Here's a list of British Benson locales:

ZMT: MI6

TFOD: Berkshire, across Windsor-Bagshot Road (to "Quarterdeck")
Park Mansions, Holland Park Road (Hutchinson's flat)

HTTK: Stoke Park, Stoke Poges Golf Club

DS: All along King's Road
New Scotland Yard
SoHo area
The Ivy (restaurant)

NDOD: Greenwich, Belmarsh Prison

TMWTRT: Uxbridge, Hillingdon & Uxbridge Coroner's Office

That list doesn't go into any real depth but it satisfys me.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 December 2001 - 11:16 AM

I've also pre-ordered the book. Yeah basically the only place it get it is Spy Guise as it is a limited edition book. Which I think is a bit of a shame. Hopefully subsequent editions could be offered through at least Amazon so the book can be sold to the wider community.

I'm also really looking forward to James Bond's Britain and *gasp* World. Okay I'm dreaming about the latter, but you never know! Bond's Britain will be out in 2003 BTW.

mccartney007 (18 Dec, 2001 03:23 a.m.):
BTW, Lee Pfieffer mentioned to me that he is planning another Bonding in Britian tour for November 2002.  I'm planning on attending it since I'm going to be in London for the premier anyway! Woo Hoo!
Zencat, Blue Eyes, you in?

Well mccartney007, if I can get to the UK (which I'm planning to) you bet ya. Can you tell me about the Bonding In Britain tours? Sadly I can't say I've heard of it.

#5 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 18 December 2001 - 05:10 PM

I heard a while ago the Peter Lamont showed up on one of the "Bonding In Britain" tours, does anyone know if this is true? I think it was around Pinewood somewhere.

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 December 2001 - 12:25 AM

Check out http://www.commander...n=Story&SID=678 as I've just posted a new article about James Bond's London. Quite an interesting read I must say.

Also check out this link.

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 January 2002 - 11:02 AM

This is part two of a special report on "James Bond's London" which author Gary Giblin created exclusively for CommanderBond.Net. The two parts deal on the filming of the Pre-Title Sequence in The World Is Not Enough. All of this material comes from "James Bond's London", and as you'll read below, it has been shortened for Internet purposes. To read the full material which I do strongly advise, you'll have to get your hands on "James Bond's London" from Spy Guise.

I'd like to thank Gary for all the help he has offered on the matter. Stay tuned for more exciting information on "James Bond's London". I'd also like to thank David Williams from BondPix for supplying some of the photos for this article, it's greatly appreciated.

Part One of this report can be found by clicking here.

JAMES BOND

#8 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 02 January 2002 - 06:44 PM

Ordered mine yesterday, can't wait.

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 January 2002 - 09:28 PM

I got mine yesterday. You would not believe how great this book is! I'm so impressed. I feel like buying a ticket and flying to London now!

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 10:18 PM

Just thought I'd add, I love that cover! It looks like it could be something out of the title sequence.

#11 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 10:23 PM

Looks like a great book, and cover!

Why isn't it for sale on Amazon? Is there any reason other than they haven't added it?

#12 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 10:41 PM

The cover looks like that the title sequence in OHMSS, one of the better title sequences. Maurice Binder was great, but now i feel the new ones by Daniel Kleinman are not as good. He, as David Arnold with the music, are trying to recreate the old Bond styles and, although good attempts, i feel are not as impressive. The titles by Robert Brownjohn (Goldfinger & FRWL).

#13 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 11:34 PM

The book sounds quite interesting. I'm sure that there was some sort of delay in this book getting published. I can't remember why now. Is it limited edition?

#14 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 18 December 2001 - 03:23 AM

I've been excited about this book since I first pre-ordered it in August 1999. I'm sure it will become one of my bibles at home and when I'm in London.

The book went through several delays because Gary decided to add the locations of TWINE to the book, and then the book became so huge they decided to make it into two books: James Bond's London and James Bond's Britian.

BTW, Lee Pfieffer mentioned to me that he is planning another Bonding in Britian tour for November 2002. I'm planning on attending it since I'm going to be in London for the premier anyway! Woo Hoo!
Zencat, Blue Eyes, you in?

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 02:48 AM

Just got my copy and would say this book is a MUST for Bond fans. You can bet I'm going to be walking around London with this book in hand come November.

#16 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 02:56 AM

Great to see that you ordered one Zencat! It is great isn't it. When I received mine I skimmed through it reading points of particular interest to me. I felt like getting on a plane there and then.

There are really some must see locations. Like Bond's house! Can't wait to drop by there.

And yes it will come with me to London in November - praying I get there that is!

#17 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 December 2001 - 09:25 AM

Blue Eyes (17 Dec, 2001 10:16 p.m.):
Anyone going to buy it? It's shipping from SpyGuise now (http://www.spyguise.com)

I've already ordered mine. I'm going to the UK next year (hopefully twice) and I'm going to use it as a sort of travel guide so I can look up some of the locations from Bond around London.

No doubt, Blue Eyes, you'll take particular care and attention in patronising "the exclusive gentlemen's clubs". :)

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 11:55 PM

zencat (15 Jan, 2002 02:48 a.m.):
Just got my copy and would say this book is a MUST for Bond fans. You can bet I'm going to be walking around London with this book in hand come November.

...but I am a little irritated that the book doesn't feature any locations from the Gardner or Benson books.