12 replies to this topic

#1 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:18 AM

I watched LTK again last night, great movie.

I always think it's funny that the Bond movie that is one of the toughest, meanest Bond movies is the one that features Q in his biggest role. He even appears in this one more than in Octopussy.

Even better, Q decides to take some leave to help 007 out, after being contacted by Moneypenny, and ends up providing gadgets that really help Bond in his bid to destroy Sanchez's organisation.

One amusing tidbit - Q throws away one of his own gadgets (the radio brush), something for which he always admonishes Bond!

#2 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:46 AM

That's quite an interesting and ironic observation! :cooltongue:

#3 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:05 AM

Although I have no problems with Q being in the movie, and in fact welcome his having a much more prominent role than usual, I do wish they hadn't forced a traditional "grow up 007" gadget scene in there. The nature of the film necessitated changing the dynamic the two men shared, perhaps to one of mutual respect with a growing camarederie between equally disillusioned veterans of the business. I never understand why Q didn't love Dalton's Bond to begin with, given how mature he was compared to previous incarnations.

#4 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:23 AM

Perhaps a future such incarnation of Q will have that kind of relationship with Bond, Publius. :cooltongue:

I'd love to see that level of professionalism displayed.

#5 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:46 AM

Perhaps a future such incarnation of Q will have that kind of relationship with Bond, Publius. :cooltongue:

I'd love to see that level of professionalism displayed.

Hopefully, and it could be humorous too, in a "that's London bureaucracy for you" way. In other words, give the two men similar feelings about certain things, like their jobs, from which to draw humor wittier than the "old man scolds man-child" approach we've had since 1964. Never Say Never Again's Q had something like that going on.

#6 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:50 AM

I still can't get over the fact the programmer for Q's signature gun is obviously a calculator with a bit of phone cord attached.

Ah, how they splashed out on Licence to Kill!

#7 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:08 AM

I never understand why Q didn't love Dalton's Bond to begin with, given how mature he was compared to previous incarnations.

I never thought of that. The scriptwriter clearly just went along with the relationship of the generic Bond that had been on film for all time, and when the mature Dalton acted on screen, it came across a little different. If I recall, Dalton only had one quip too, "I could do with some plastic".

#8 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:03 AM

I also love how Bond introduces Q to Pam as his uncle, and Pam is his cousin, and Q's response:-

"Ah, we must be related", and there is a cute little smile from Pam as she greets Q.

#9 Monsieur B

Monsieur B

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:27 PM

One amusing tidbit - Q throws away one of his own gadgets (the radio brush), something for which he always admonishes Bond!

Maybe all that renegade action allowed Q to loosen up and just say 'To hell with it!'

Or just after the cut, Q exclaimed, 'Oh, bugger!' after realizing what he did, and proceeded to pick up the broom and carefully check to see if it was damaged.

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:51 PM

#11 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:24 AM

[quote name='Blofeld's Cat' post='776761' date='26 September 2007 - 06:51']

#12 RivenWinner

RivenWinner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

I laugh everytime I watch Q throw his radio brush. lol

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:54 PM

The nature of the film necessitated changing the dynamic the two men shared, perhaps to one of mutual respect with a growing camarederie between equally disillusioned veterans of the business.

That was the dynamic they went for in Never Say Never Again.