11 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 03:17 PM

I've been away from the boards for a while, so forgive me, mods, because I have a lot on my mind about Bond! As I stated on another posting, I have the book The Incredible World of 007. There is a section about the merchandising and publicity for all the Bond movies. While reading the ones about the Dalton movies, I started remembering the ones I had. The Dalton movies were the first ones I saw in the theater. I still have the License To Kill poster, the John Gardner novel-tie-in, the soundtrack on tape...I also have The Living Daylights CD, but still don't have the poster, which is too bad because that gal in the poster the see-through outfit is a hottie! Were there any more merchandising tie-ins for these films? I heard there was actually a comic book version of License To Kill, which would be interesting!

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 04:38 PM

Yes, there's a comic of LTK...shouldn't be too hard to find on eBay. Most people don't know that there was also a comic of TLD (complete with cut Magic Carpet scene) but it was only printed in Norway.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 04:44 PM

Re the LTK comic. I heard that Dalton refused to license his likeness for the comic and that's why Bond is illustrated as a generic Bond. I never understood why he did this. It's like shooting yourself in the foot. It sure didn't help audience

#4 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 05:14 PM

why wouldn't Dalton allow it? he's already playing the character in the film, why not "play" the character in the comic as well...his likeness is already out there, this would only help his identification with Bond....oh well...

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 09:25 AM

From what I saw of the LTK comic the likeness veers worringly between Tim and Sean(?), both with Fleming style scars on the face!

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 04:39 PM

They kind of copied the Bond from the graphic novel PERMISSION TO DIE which was published that same year, I think.

#7 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 06:21 PM

That reminds me I still have that comic somewhere. I wonder how much it's worth. Looks like I need to go check that board out!

#8 boeserzwilling

boeserzwilling

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 09:00 PM

sorry, double-post

#9 boeserzwilling

boeserzwilling

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 09:01 PM

Originally posted by zencat
They kind of copied the Bond from the graphic novel PERMISSION TO DIE which was published that same year, I think.

Both LTK and PERMISSION TO DIE were written/drawn by Mike Grell, who is usually an exeptional artist. Unfortunately his Bond-comics aren't his best work.
The German version had a unique cover artwork. Try to find that.

#10 boeserzwilling

boeserzwilling

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 10:27 PM

Got it! Very 80s!

#11 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 11:02 PM

That Bond is frightening. It's like Connery's head with Dalton's hair, eyes and chin.

#12 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 08:10 PM

Yea, but the likeness to Pam Bouvier isn't bad! :)