5 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 03:07 PM

Back in 1986, I was reading Starlog Magazine when I first got the news that Timothy Dalton was the new actor to play James Bond. The way they publicized it, they showed Dalton in a still from a movie called The Dr. and the Devils. I was just thinking about this the other day when I was going through my old Starlogs and Bondage (no, not that!) magazines (remember them?) Does anyone here on the board have any idea about this movie called The Dr. and the Devils? I looked at it on the IMDB and noticed that Jonathan Pryce and Patrick Stewart are also in it. Can anyone recommend it or give any more information about it?

#2 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 03:50 PM

It was about the Resurrectionists -
body snatchers in the 18th Century who dug up cadavers
to sell to surgeons for medical research.

Good little film. Produced by Mel Brooks as I remember it.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 04:46 PM

This film has recently been on Starz or Encore or one of the other movie channels in that packet. I believe it will also be on again soon. This was a fairly decent film about a rather horrid true story. Dalton plays the Doctor and the Tomorrow Never Dies's Jonathan Pryce plays one of the 'Devils'.

A better Dalton 'true story' film I saw recently was Possessed. Supposedly it's the true story that The Exorsist was fictionally based. (And it's set in my home town of St. Louis, though filmed in Canada.)

#4 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 05:06 PM

I only remember it for Julian Sands' impersonation of a corpse which would be a good thing were he not playing a living person

#5 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 06:05 PM

Ah, Julian Sands, he does play some pretty strange parts. What was that film where he dismembered that gal and kept her in a box? Strange film. Well, anyway, I might just check this out on cable. I doubt Netflix will have it on DVD so I can rent it.

#6 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 06:15 PM

Boxing Helena, more famous for Kim Basinger backing out of her contract (can't imagine why, it must be fun to be dismembered) and getting sued and losing about $9m then having to sell her hometown which she had bought. Come to think of it, that would have made a much better film than Boxing Helena. :)