20 replies to this topic

#1 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 06:26 PM

First off, I need a break from the constant fighting over on the Dalton board. This following post is something actually pretty positive that will make the day of a lot of Roger Moore fans who haven't seen this article before. If you already have, well good for you, you can read it again, because it's pretty good.

From the bloody debating I've done with Bondpurist over the past few days, I've come to regard Roger Moore with more thought and affection. To many younger fans, he IS Bond, as much as Connery was to the fans who grew up watching him. This article is from the Dr. Shatterhand website and is worth checking out.

Check this link out to read the article:

http://www.shatterha...ndLetMoore.html

#2 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 06:46 PM

Hey good to see some Roger topics popping up;). As I've said many times before, to me Roger Moore IS James Bond, and I believe that will never change in my lifetime. I do think it is true to a certain extent that the first Bond you see becomes your favourite. In my case this is true. The first 4 Bond films I saw when I was 3/4 were all Roger films, Live and Let Die, A View to a Kill, The Man with the Golden Gun, Octopussy.I instantly fell in love with series, and I still have the recording of The Man with the Golden Gun that I made back in 1988 when I was 4.

I'm not going to rant on about how good Roger is, nor his films, as Im saving my rants for a few articles I have lined up.

However to keep you guys busy check out this article on 007Forever

link

One of my favourite Bond articles ever, about one of the most underrated films.

#3 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 06:52 PM

The link you put up there isn't working.

#4 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 07:22 PM

Roger Moore is James Bond in The Man with the Golden Gun.

#5 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 08:57 PM

Moore had his good moments - his first three Bond movies are good, after that the films became a ridiculous comic book farce! I don't hate Moore, just that his 80's movies were poo.

#6 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 09:01 PM

*yawn*

#7 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 09:09 PM

I wouldn't say Moore IS Bond, okay, so many may think he is, but to me it would be between Dalton and Brosnan. Moore just doesn't do it for me in the Bond films. I think his only good performances as Bond were in OP, TSWLM and FYEO, just less than half his movies. That was probably only because he had good scripts. For me, both Dalton movies are great, however not all the Brosnan films are my favourite. The first Bond film I went to see was only TWINE, I was 14 at the time, I missed out on TND because, although I was 12 when it came out, none of my family really wanted to take me to see it! I think Moore fans have a right to say he IS Bond but I don't have to agree, nor shall I. For me, there are no Bond actors who come last. I find Dalton and Brosnan to be the better of what there is and has been, with Connery, Moore and Lazenby coming 'joint-second' / 'joint-third'. Dalton should have had a third film, after all, Moore's and Connery's 3rd films both really kicked off their Bond career (GF and TSWLM). Okay, so FRWL and Dr No were already relatively big hits for Connery, but GF was the one that really gave him his STAR STATUS.

#8 Predator_007

Predator_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 10:51 AM

Originally posted by mrmoon
I still have the recording of The Man With The Golden Gun  that I made back in 1988 when I was 4.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one to revel in the glorious 1970s ... but 4 years old (they hadn't invented betamax when I was 4) - I couldn't work the hifi when I was that age! I do remember it as the first Bond I say on TV, so it has a special place in my heart.

Personally I think the Roger Moore films capture the age in which they were made better than all the others - I guess that has something to do with the (sometimes pretty awful) fashions, but I love the overall feel of them: Guy Hamilton and Lewis Gilbert really knew how to draw the viewer in and the locations in the Moore-era haven't been bettered IMO. Yes, they have flaws, but remember they're still diamonds!

#9 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 01:50 PM

Roger definitely cornered the market on the naughty one-liners. He was really good at them. I understand a lot of the ad-libs were all his and that he drove Desmond Llewelyn crazy.

#10 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 02:05 PM

I like the stories I've heard that Roger and John Glen would corner Desmond and tell him he has to learn new lines over lunch, which wasn't really true, or that they always had him wear shorts. Desmond hated wearing shorts.

#11 Mr Wint

Mr Wint

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 10:47 AM

Roger Moore is and will properly always be the 2nd best James Bond, for me. Just like Sean Connery he had star quality. Moore plays an all-round Bond who always is charming and witty but can be rough when it's necessary. He adds a human quality to the character and makes Bond easier to identify with.

Moore also brings more humour to Bond. And then I don't mean one-liners. Bond, played by any actor except Dalton, always cracks one-liners every now and then. But the humour Moore brings is more how he reacts in different situations. Like his reaction to Tee Hee & Co when they left him to be crocodile food in LALD.

I think that Roger Moore is the only Bond-actor who really was James Bond in real life, and still is. Well, he doesn't kill people (I hope) but Moore certainly had Bond's wit and charm. He once said that the only difference between him and James Bond is that he doesn't eat breakfast in a dinner jacket. But it wouldn

#12 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 08:01 PM

Here is a link to another great Moore article

http://www.ianflemin...ine/roger.shtml

#13 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 01:51 AM

Roger Moore is and will properly always be the 2nd best James Bond, for me. Just like Sean Connery he had star quality. Moore plays an all-round Bond who always is charming and witty but can be rough when it's necessary.

Yeah, I argee totally, especially with the "star quality", that's why they are my two favorites.

#14 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 08:53 PM

FYEO is just wonderful, the best of Roger and maybe(?) best of Bond.

#15 007forever

007forever

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 07:06 AM

Originally posted by YOLT
FYEO is just wonderful, the best of Roger and maybe(?) best of Bond.

AGREED!!!!!!!!!
I love that one too!

Being a Bond fan, i have *only* purchased 4 DVDs so far, one is TWINE, as i likes that movie a lot, the others were all Roger's. TSWLM, FYEO and AVTAK.

Nearly everyone agreed TSWLM is the best of Roger, i think so too.
However, to me, the other 2 are just as good, if not better.

Why a lot of ppl criticized AVTAK? I reckon Roger is as charming, as humourous in it as he's always had--that's the kinda Bond style I like!

#16 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 03:39 PM

Hi shirls!!

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 12:08 AM

I like the picture of Ms Caruso on the article linked in the first post of this thread --- woohoo! :)

#18 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 02:49 AM

Originally posted by freemo

Yeah, I argee totally, especially with the "star quality", that's why they are my two favorites.

Yeah I agree, I think we have 2 Bonds & the rest have copied from Roger & Sean..

The Next guy better be different, because Bond is feeling like a "Remember When" kinda series.. when they keep taking from Sean & Roger's Movies.. soo soooo sooo much!

Think up something new! What makes no sense is.. Timothy was doing that and they dropped the axe.. for "remember when" pierce movies:confused:

They better pull a OYMSS,FRWL or FYEO out of their azz pretty soon.. in content!! because making dumb action movies aint going to help! they know they are going to make 200 of these 007 movies.. WHY not take chances ??? IF it bombs.. go back to your "bread n butter" Roger/Sean Rip Offs:rolleyes::)

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:52 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only

Yeah I agree, I think we have 2 Bonds & the rest have copied from Roger & Sean..  

The Next guy better be different, because Bond is feeling like a "Remember When" kinda series.. when they keep taking from Sean & Roger's Movies.. soo soooo sooo much!

Think up something new! What makes no sense is.. Timothy was doing that and they dropped the axe.. for "remember when" pierce movies:confused:

They better pull a OYMSS,FRWL or FYEO out of their azz pretty soon.. in content!! because making dumb action movies aint going to help! they know they are going to make 200 of these 007 movies.. WHY not take chances ??? IF it bombs.. go back to your "bread n butter" Roger/Sean Rip Offs:rolleyes::)

When Pierce is no longer the 007 of the moment I really think that his movies will steadily drop to the bottom of the pile on most peoples lists. I really don't think they will have the nostalgia value that Roger and Sean's movies do.

#20 David Somerset

David Somerset

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 10:02 AM

I love 'em all!! Different eras, different approaches. The only thing that really annoys me is that possibly 2 more Dalton movies could have been made in 91 and 93. Whether you like Dalton or not, I would rather they had been made rather than not.

#21 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 11:38 AM

Originally posted by David Somerset
I love 'em all!! Different eras, different approaches. The only thing that really annoys me is that possibly 2 more Dalton movies could have been made in 91 and 93. Whether you like Dalton or not, I would rather they had been made rather than not.

Well not really. There were a number of legal reasons why there was a six year wait between LTK and GE (not least of which was the Broccoli clan suing MGM/UA).
Besides six years isn't that bad. Dirk Pitt fans had their last movie in 1980 and only now are they working on a new movie. You can also look at Star Wars fans that had a 16 years wait for a new movie or fans of the terminator who haven't seen a new T movie for 12 years.