8 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 12 November 2001 - 10:22 PM

I keep reading little comments here and there about an infamous Bond Girls book. Well can anyone tell me about the book?

I've done a general search on Ebay and come up with two books:
* GIRLS OF JAMES BOND: I believe this is a late 80's publcation.
* The James Bond Girls: It has a red cover with the iris and a girl in it. It's by Graham Rye.

So which is the infamous one? And why is it infamous? And is it worth buying?

#2 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 13 November 2001 - 12:25 AM

I also have the red one. Its a great book (some great picz - thatz not what i got it 4 of course:). Is this the one you mean? Graham Rye, is the author as stated above. It covers all of the Bond movies (the official ones anywayz). Its well worth buying if you are interested.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 November 2001 - 11:55 PM

Actually, there have been 4 versions of The James Bond Girls by Graham Rye. The first was 1989, covers films up to LTK, and features Carey Lowell and Talisa Soto on cover. This was done in a paperback and hardcover.

A revised edition was published in 1996 and was basically the same book with a new section on GE. The cover features Famke Janssen and Izabella Scorupco. I have a paperback version, not sure if there was a hardcover (my guess is there wasn't).

A second revised edition was published in 1998, again, it's the same basic book but with a new section on TND. It had a white cover with a photo colleague of various Bond girls with Teri Hatcher and Michelle Yeoh in the center. I have a paperback, not sure if there was a hardcover (again, I doubt it).

The 4th printing (the red cover one) is a complete revamp of the book with all new photos and a new layout put out in 1999. I have a hardcover and I'm pretty sure there was a paperback published at the same time.

I have mixed feelings about the re-vamp edition. While most of the photos are never-before-seen, most of them are never-before-seen because they're not the best photos. It's a real fan book in that way. See what was too sexy (or not good enough) to print in "traditional" books, including the first James Bond Girls book! I don't know. I find the layout and pics in the original book a little more enjoyable.

#4 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 12 January 2002 - 09:37 AM

It is debatable whether the quality of the photographic composition is superior in the older or newer editions of this book, but there is no doubt that the quality of the paper and of the image resolution is far superior in the newest edition of this book. Just FYI

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 November 2001 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for those excellent details Zencat! I think I'll have to get the original and the most recent versions! :)

#6 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 November 2001 - 10:59 PM

I have the red one but I've no idea if and why it's infamous.

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 13 November 2001 - 03:16 AM

Thanks for getting back to me guys :)

What sort of material does it cover? Is it just a picture collection?

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 13 November 2001 - 08:36 AM

I think there's been two or three editions of it and the pictures have changed (not all of them, just some) as the editions have been updated.

I've only got the first version, produced about 1989, and there's a picture in there of Claudine Auger which...[remainder of message deleted due to wife coming into room and looking at me a little oddly. Down boy].

#9 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 13 November 2001 - 09:49 AM

.....red diving suit - very short, on a boat, looking down at you. Is erm, that it?

Otherwise, yes. There have been three editions, I think the latest being the red hardback version. No idea why it is infamous.